Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I love the late-war 3-color and Ambush schemes. Sadly, I have very, very little luck painting them. :(

I found that if I thin out Tamiya something like 60/40 thinner to paint, reduce the air pressure to about 10-15 PSI and get in close, it will come out ok. Weathering is your friend, LOL! Try and remember the real ones weren't perfect either.

See the source image

6 minutes ago, Agent G said:

I found that if I thin out Tamiya something like 60/40 thinner to paint, reduce the air pressure to about 10-15 PSI and get in close, it will come out ok. Weathering is your friend, LOL! Try and remember the real ones weren't perfect either.

See the source image

The Germans "field" applied some camo schemes by mixing the pigments with gasoline, diesel, just about anything that would cut the stuff, and brushed or used an old mop to apply secondary colors. You can replicate forward area applied cammo pretty easy. 

I'm not a big Anime or Menga fan. But, a couple of years ago I stumbled upon a series called the Last Exile. I loved what I saw. A steampunk/dieselpunk world with these cool looking flying machines called Vanships. And coolest Vanship is the one piloted by Tatiana Wisla. The red Vanship shown on the box cover of the model I just picked up. 

I've been thinking about picking up this model for a while now. It's made by Hasegawa, and is in 1/72 scale. It also comes with a second airship, Fam's Vespa from the later series I've only seen parts of, Last Exile - Fam, The Silver Wing. That show, nor the the Vespa impressed me all that much. Both vehicles come with pilots and can be built in other variations than the main characters ships. But, I plan on building both in their primary "Tatiana" and "Fam" versions. 

IMG_3276.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, Snake45 said:

I love the late-war 3-color and Ambush schemes. Sadly, I have very, very little luck painting them. :(

Cheat!  One of the slickest tricks to painting camouflage is masking with a low-tack clay like DAP Blue-Stik or something similar.  I like a product sold at Hobby Lobby and Michael's called "Simply Tacky." 

Here's a tutorial on it from the web site of master military modeler Mig Jimenez.  This builder uses good old Silly Putty, which is cheap and sold at every Dollar Store around here.  And thanks to Agent G for posting that Border Pz. IV.  I'd never even heard of that kit.

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/module/csblog/detailpost/10-6-how-to-paint-a-nato-truck.html

Rick_Camo_Nato_05.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

On 2/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, unclescott58 said:

I'm not a big Anime or Menga fan. But, a couple of years ago I stumbled upon a series called the Last Exile. I loved what I saw. A steampunk/dieselpunk world with these cool looking flying machines called Vanships. And coolest Vanship is the one piloted by Tatiana Wisla. The red Vanship shown on the box cover of the model I just picked up. 

I've been thinking about picking up this model for a while now. It's made by Hasegawa, and is in 1/72 scale. It also comes with a second airship, Fam's Vespa from the later series I've only seen parts of, Last Exile - Fam, The Silver Wing. That show, nor the the Vespa impressed me all that much. Both vehicles come with pilots and can be built in other variations than the main characters ships. But, I plan on building both in their primary "Tatiana" and "Fam" versions. 

IMG_3276.JPG

I built that and here is how mine turned out . 

E2E5215D-B66E-4ABC-91C3-83E76311FF57.jpeg

1A583218-9550-46F2-A76A-A264083E787E.jpeg

Today I got another model airplane kit. The Williams Bros.' 1/72 scale Northrop Gamma. The plans are to build it as Frank Hawks' "Sky Chief." Also in today's mail, a pretty cool book. Golden Age Air Racers in Color 1929-1939, by Sonny Schug. I love these Golden Age airplanes. And Mr. Schug's book makes me want to add more kits of planes of that era to my collection. As you can see by several recent postings here, I've got a pretty good start on that collection. 

IMG_3286.JPG

Found this (below) in with my Williams Bros.' Northrop Gramma kit. A sheet promoting IPMS-USA membership for one year, from July 1, 1976 - June 30, 1977. $8.50 for an adult (18 and over) one year membership. $5.00 for "juniors" (age 17 and under) one year membership. I would have just missed qualifying for a junior membership by six months. Kind of cool. An interesting look at how modelers got their information before the internet. 

IMG_3287.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

IMG_3289.JPG

18 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Today I got another model airplane kit. The Williams Bros.' 1/72 scale Northrop Gamma. The plans are to build it as Frank Hawks' "Sky Chief." Also in today's mail, a pretty cool book. Golden Age Air Racers in Color 1929-1939, by Sonny Schug. I love these Golden Age airplanes. And Mr. Schug's book makes me want to add more kits of planes of that era to my collection. As you can see by several recent postings here, I've got a pretty good start on that collection. 

IMG_3286.JPG

Scott, a Net friend of mine just finished a Planet Models Hughes H-1 racer in 1/48 and it looks great. I'd post a link but the pics are on a private board so I can't. You can google the kit if you're interested. Seems to be available but somewhat spendy (@ $50 or thereabouts). 

I can't just build a model. I like to know as much as I can about what I'm building a model of. Below are two book I received today that gives me more info on the model planes I've been adding to my collection lately. Two great books tons of information. Some of it written contemporary to when the actual planes were built. 

IMG_3291.JPG

In reading volume 2 of the above book, The Golden Age of Air Racing, by S.H. Schmidt and Truman C. Weaver. I am pleased read that the famous air racer Rosco Turner was not only a good flyer and flamboyant showman, but a pretty nice guy besides. He always insisted on giving his mechanic, Don Young credit for his wins. Many times with Don besides him on podium. Turner also helped fellow racers out. In particular doing an all nighter getting pistons made for fellow racer Tony LeVier at the 1938 Cleveland National Air Races. With Turner's help, LeVier and and his plane "Firecraker" went on and won the 1938 Greve race. At that same event, Turner won his second of three Thompson trophies. He may have been a great showman. Dressing in his faux military uniform, and flying with "Gilmore" a live lion in the early 30's. Despite his flamboyant showmanship, Turner's reputation made him a favorite of fans and  he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross by Cogress in 1949 for his contributions to flying. The last civilian to be given the award. When Rosco Turner died on June 24, 1970, the governor of Indiana ordered flags to be flown at half mast for two days in his honor. 

Turner's last racing plane. And his most famous. The (Laird-) Turner Special can be seen on display at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum. Along with "Gilmore" the lion whom he had stuffed after Gilmore died. 

The more I read about Rosco Turner, the more of a fan I am. And I looked forward to finish building the model of his Laird-Turner Meteor (the Turner Special noted above) by Lindberg in the next few days.

Edited by unclescott58

Okay. I got another '30s racing plane kit. This time Williams Bros.' 1/32 scale Gee Bee "Z" Racer. This one looks much closer to scale than Lindberg's larger 1/32 scale Gee-Bee (model R-1) Air Racer. I may have to hunt down Williams Bros.' 1/32 scale Gee Bee R-1 to match its Z sister better. 

But, here's some news. A none racing airplane model, or any old airplane model has also found its way into my collection, today too. I also got Polar Lights, ex-Aurora, James Bond 007 kit. And it's a model of my favorite Bond, Sean Connery. Someday I need find a DB5 to go with him. 

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

20 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

But, here's some news. A none racing airplane model, or any old airplane model has also found its way into my collection, today too. I also got Polar Lights, ex-Aurora, James Bond 007 kit. And it's a model of my favorite Bond, Sean Connery. Someday I need find a DB5 to go with him. 

IMG_3320.JPG

Fabulous! Didn't realize they'd reissued that. Is it in current issue, or now old and "collectible"? 

I wish they'd reissue the Men from UNCLE. I have the original Napoleon Solo and Illya I built in 1965 or '66, missing only maybe a few leaves from the plants, and have considered restoring them, but of course I'd rather start with new kits and leave my old ones alone. They seem to be right on 1/12 scale--for many years I had them exhibited with my 1/12 scale '67 Mustang fastback (who made that--Cox or Wen-Mac or somebody--runs on battery but can be converted to model airplane engine power) and they seemed to fit right in. Today you could put them with a Monogram 1/12 '67 Corvette or '69 Camaro. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Fabulous! Didn't realize they'd reissued that. Is it in current issue, or now old and "collectible"? 

I wish they'd reissue the Men from UNCLE. I have the original Napoleon Solo and Illya I built in 1965 or '66, missing only maybe a few leaves from the plants, and have considered restoring them, but of course I'd rather start with new kits and leave my old ones alone. They seem to be right on 1/12 scale--for many years I had them exhibited with my 1/12 scale '67 Mustang fastback (who made that--Cox or Wen-Mac or somebody--runs on battery but can be converted to model airplane engine power) and they seemed to fit right in. Today you could put them with a Monogram 1/12 '67 Corvette or '69 Camaro. 

Polar Light reissued the Bond kit last back in 1999. Yet it's not hard to find. I picked this one up on eBay for $32 dollars with shipping. If you want Polar Lights reissue of Odd Job, he seams to go for a bit more. Also last put out in 1999. I don't believe Polar Lights did a reissue of the Men from UNCLE kits. I don't think a lot of these figure kits there big sellers for Polar Lights. After their one initial reissue, they have not been repoped again. And, most of them are not that hard to find twenty years later. Sadly that time period may have been our one and only chance to get these kits new again. I hope I'm wrong on that.