Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

46 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Look what came in today's mail. It's not an airplane kit. This is another one of those kits I've wanted to own for about 50 years, after seeing it as kid. And one I'm sure my mother would never have approved of. So I never got one until now. It's the Polar Lights repop of the Aurora Chamber of Horrors Guillotine. With both a normal and "glow in the dark" victim. Cool! I love it. 

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

I've built that kit, fun build. Can't wait to see it built up

On 12/18/2018 at 8:19 PM, Roadrunner said:

That's just too cool. Thanks for that.

Love it.

In today's mail, number three in my Gee Bee R-1 model kit collection. This time, the Testors'/old Hawk 1/48 scale version. How does it compare to my other two Gee Bee R-1 kits? On the basic level with the Lindberg kit detail wise. Of course it's smaller than either the Lindberg or Williams Bros. kits. The engine cowling in the Testors/Hawk kit, to my eye looks a bit more like the R-2's cowling, rather than the R-1's. Yet the kit only comes with decals for building the R-1. So the cowling might be my only complaint. But, it's not much of a complaint at that. Over all it looks like a nice kit. 

IMG_3363.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

People may crucify me for placing this review here. For its about a book that is not really meant to be model related. But, at the same time it has chapters on model kits. It's a new book I received this afternoon, Monster Mash, The Creepy, Kooky Monster Craze in America 1957-1972. By Mark Voger. The book does an excellent job of looking at all aspects of the 60's monster craze. TV, magazines, music, toys, and model kits. 

Of coarse there is a whole chapter the Aurora horror kits. But, there is also a chapter on monster related car kits and other memorabilia. There are interviews with "Big Daddy" Ed Roth and George Barris. Plus one with Tom Daniel discussing his designing of the Munster Koach and the Drag-U-La. Which are two cars Barris liked to take credit for (amongst others). 

This is a very fun and well written book. Priced under $40. And worthwhile addition to my collection. I'm glad I bought it. 

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG

IMG_3371.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

IMG_3373.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

27 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The foreword by John Zacherle alone makes the book worth the price. He was the best horror host on television. Every other imitator paled in comparison.

Zacherley is the all time "Cool Ghoul". I really didn't know anything about him until I got the DVD below about a year ago. It's a cool video hosted by Mr. Zacherle. He was over 90 years old when they did this video, and he's still great in it. I have now since seen other videos on YouTube showing him in his earlier days as Roland and/or Zacherley. Seeing the little I've seen of him, and what I've read, I can see why he is still fondly remembered. Svengoolie is good. But, he's no Zacherley. 

By the way, the video shown below is well worth picking up, beyond it being hosted by Zacherley. A great history on the Aurora Monster kits. With interviews with James Bama, Ray Meyers, and others. Plus I love the two Frankenstein model kits that Zacherley supposably builds. And his sidekick Gorgo, the Gargoyle showing us why we should not sniff Model glue. 

IMG_3374.JPG

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:20 PM, unclescott58 said:

In today's mail, number three in my Gee Bee R-1 model kit collection. This time, the Testors'/old Hawk 1/48 scale version. How does it compare to my other two Gee Bee R-1 kits? On the basic level with the Lindberg kit detail wise. Of course it's smaller than either the Lindberg or Williams Bros. kits. The engine cowling in the Testors/Hawk kit, to my eye looks a bit more like the R-2's cowling, rather than the R-1's. Yet the kit only comes with decals for building the R-1. So the cowling might be my only complaint. But, it's not much of a complaint at that. Over all it looks like a nice kit. 

Now you can add 2 more 1/48 scale Gee Bees to your collection!  The R1 and R2 from Dora Wings.  Fine Scale Modeler reviewed the R1 in the Feb. 2019 issue. It comes with painting masks for the scallops. 56 plastic parts and 20 photo-etched metal for the flying wires, interior details and other parts.  Here's a link to their website:

https://www.dorawings.com/

dora_GBR1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Now you can add 2 more 1/48 scale Gee Bees to your collection!  The R1 and R2 from Dora Wings.  Fine Scale Modeler reviewed the R1 in the Feb. 2019 issue. It comes with painting masks for the scallops. 56 plastic parts and 20 photo-etched metal for the flying wires, interior details and other parts.  Here's a link to their website:

https://www.dorawings.com/

dora_GBR1.jpg

Yea, I've seen that kit online. It seems to me the price is a little on the high side. I think I may have enough Gee Bee R-1s for now. I also have Model Power's 1/75 scale R-1 die cast in my collection. In fact, I've had that one in my collection for a few years now. So maybe I do have enough Gee Bee R-1s? 

IMG_3378.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, Rusty92 said:

Got it for $40. This thing is huge!

It sure is!  At a contest once, I saw that Monogram 1/24 scale Huey heavily weathered, with broken rotor blades, beat up and chained down to a 1/24 flatbed trailer. Being pulled behind a semi-truck. It looked great.

There sure aren't many 1/24 scale helicopter kits.  Here's the only other one I know of, the IDEA company's 1/24 Hughes 500D. IDEA also did a Korean military version in 1/24 scale with TOW missiles.  You may see it from other companies too, like Nichimo, but they're all the same kit.  It's a very simple model. I've seen them go for as little as $5 at kit swap meets.  But somebody on eBay recently paid $51 for it, so maybe they're getting harder to find.

Idea-500D.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

It sure is!  At a contest once, I saw that Monogram 1/24 scale Huey heavily weathered, with broken rotor blades, beat up and chained down to a 1/24 flatbed trailer. Being pulled behind a semi-truck. It looked great.

There sure aren't many 1/24 scale helicopter kits.  Here's the only other one I know of, the IDEA company's 1/24 Hughes 500D. IDEA also did a Korean military version in 1/24 scale with TOW missiles.  You may see it from other companies too, like Nichimo, but they're all the same kit.  It's a very simple model. I've seen them go for as little as $5 at kit swap meets.  But somebody on eBay recently paid $51 for it, so maybe they're getting harder to find.

Idea-500D.jpg

I thought about putting mine on a flat bed also! I’ll have to look for that IDEA kit sometime. Looks pretty cool. The 1/24 stuff is just so huge since we are used to seeing them in 1/72 or 1/32 scale. Thank you for the info!

A Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I tank (early production). Early version of the tank, not the model. I got the display only version. It costs a lot less than the r/c tank. It was also a great price, even for the display kit.

Here's a comparison of a 1/16 and 1/35 early Tiger I. 

56010-3.jpg[

Today I got the AMT Budweiser Clydesdales set and the MPC The General train. The 8 horse hitch is open but complete, even the decals are great! Got it for $30.  The General is mint sealed, I plan on building this one soon and displaying on my desk at work

pics are from the web. 

F9C60FD8-F728-4EC9-B480-CD5775F0BB9F.jpeg.fb8bdfdcbef4c89a1da908a2948186ce.jpegA4FD1FFA-FEC7-4ABA-A02C-518B48A5122E.jpeg.58b0dcead4b51322873083c813c98d67.jpeg

13 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I figured I better grab these two, before they become impossible to find. 

IMG_3411.JPG

Opening the boxes, and seeing what's in them, I am very pleased. Both look to be very nice kits. Test fitting of parts in the Vostok is fairly nice. I already have Yuri and his cockpit started. 

The Titan looks nice. I just wish they would have included a Gemini/MOL option. That should have been the next step in the Gemini program. 

12 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Today I got the AMT Budweiser Clydesdales set and the MPC The General train. The 8 horse hitch is open but complete, even the decals are great! Got it for $30.  The General is mint sealed, I plan on building this one soon and displaying on my desk at work

pics are from the web. 

F9C60FD8-F728-4EC9-B480-CD5775F0BB9F.jpeg.fb8bdfdcbef4c89a1da908a2948186ce.jpegA4FD1FFA-FEC7-4ABA-A02C-518B48A5122E.jpeg.58b0dcead4b51322873083c813c98d67.jpeg

Two cool and interesting kits. I hope you post pictures after you get either of these kits built. 

An impulse buy. I've always wanted one, but use to dread the idea of brush painting the details. With move to Tamiya acrylic brush paints. And successfully building serveral other figure kits. I figured it time to finally buy one. 

I love the box art. 

Live Long and Prosper. 

IMG_3422.JPG

Edited by unclescott58