Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

15 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

image.png.28eab88688183c60e3a1b348be40e226.png

That's awfully magnanimous of you for assuming the postal worker can actually read.

I'm hoping he/she can read. Though I do question that at times. Saturday I got a catalog in the mail that was meant for a house with the same house number, but two streets over. Bryant vs Dupont. But it back in my mailbox hoping the postal carrier will get it to the correct address. 

On 5/8/2019 at 4:35 PM, SfanGoch said:

image.png.28eab88688183c60e3a1b348be40e226.png

That's awfully magnanimous of you for assuming the postal worker can actually read.

Guess what? There are delivery people who can not, do not, or will not read. Today a package was put right in front of my door. Right under the above note. Making it not only impossible for me see it right away from inside. But, nearly tripping me as I opened the door! I'm a little ticked, to say the least. 

What was in that package? Well, as of last Saturday night, MeTV started showing reruns of the old Invaders TV series. I forgot how much I liked that show. So, since Atlantis Models is again putting out a copy of the old Aurora Invaders UFO kit, I decided I needed one. A simple kit. Not a lot of detail. I have ordered a TSDS decal set to liven the kit up a bit. Hopefully that will be coming soon. (And not left on the front step where it can be stolen, damaged by weather, or trip me.) 

IMG_3523.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

I know civil servants and their limitations. :D

The Invaders UFO is, as you said, a simple kit. It still is cool. Doll it up with a lighting kit. I've got two Moebius Jupiter 2s and two Polar lights 1/72 scale Forbidden Planet C-57Ds (28" in diameter) which will have lighting installed. My living room will look like a whorehouse from outer space at night. :D

I was lucky and got it for 25 bucks from a guy on Hyperscale who is clearing his stash. I just missed getting a Revell 1/144 Space Shuttle with Launch Tower

image.png.2c5ac592fd20c50a07236336543ec089.png

he listed. Now, I need to find a Terracruzer with Mace Missile.

image.png.df42251adc3dfa1afd0a0c374db1299f.png

Edited by SfanGoch

Two more pre-WWII French aircraft for the pile. The Bloch 174 and Potez 631 light bombers.  Both made by Heller, of course, who did a lot of French aircraft kits no other company would have released.  Many Heller kits were re-issued by SMER. They're not hard to find and usually pretty cheap, even on eBay.

Both of these are still shrink-wrapped, with their original $15 price stickers.  I saw them as a lot on eBay, with just a few minutes left to go and no bids.  The minimum bid was $7.00 for both, and that's what I bid. Nobody sniped me, so I got these for $3.50 each plus shipping.

hellers.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof2

I don't know what's going on on? But, for some reason I have not been able to load any new pictures here in the last few days. So, the three models I got Monday, and tried to show are: 1. Atlantis' repop of Linndberg's old UFO Flying Saucer kit. 2. Atlantis' Glow In The Dark UFO Encounters "Sighting Over Monument Valley" kit. And 3. another 4D Master Human Anatomy model kit. This time the Eyeball.

• 1 month later...

Along with some on-topic car kits, today the fe-mail carrier also dropped off this monster: the MiniArt 1/35 scale "Sharotank," or Ball Tank. 

One of the coolest tanks never built!  With 4 large-caliber cannons, 8 machine guns and 2 anti-aircraft guns.  And the kit has a full interior.  MiniArt also does this one with U.S., Australian and German markings.

sharotank.jpg

In July 1969 I was 13 and glued to the TV set .  Revell US is reissuing this due out in a couple months but Revell GMBH already has it out so I hunted a bit and found some at Ballazano's Hobby Warehouse .

Lot's of well detailed parts it looks like a pretty straight forward assembly , but it screams for some detailing so I've also order a Detail Kit and upgraded decals from New Ware . This should be fun ! :D

file-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Along with the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, this year is the 30th anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down.

So I got a Berlin Wall!  In 1/35 scale, anyway.  AFV Club kit #35317.  It comes with 3 sections of the wall, and decals for colorful graffiti.  No figures, skateboard or dog, unfortunately. According to internet reviews, it does have a good, rough "concrete" texture.  I picked up 2 of these, thinking I may join them for a bigger Wall diorama. 

As online experts have already pointed out: this kit won't work for a diorama of the 1961 face-off at Checkpoint Charlie.  The AFV Club kit has the later, standardized "modular" wall sections.  Back in 1961 the Wall looked a lot different.  Mostly concrete block and barbed wire, I think.

ber_wall.jpg

The humorous tone of the model belies the fact that the guards were brought from Russia so they would have no second thoughts about shooting any defectors who entered the "kill zone". My wife's cousin, who was born in East Berlin the year the first wall went up, is terrified of dogs to this day because the guards would turn their guns and attack dogs toward him every morning and evening as he drove his Trabant to and from work.

Thanks for the pix and info, Joe and Vince.  I went on vacation to Berlin in 1990, just a few months after the wall came down. They were still taking down parts of it.  Street vendors were selling all sorts of East German military gear, flags, border guard hats, tanker helmets, uniforms etc. 

One vendor had a Russian tech manual for the radio gear in a T-55 tank.  I thought that would be a neat souvenir and bought it for $5.  The seller said, "For $50 I can get you the radio. For $500, the whole tank." He was probably joking...

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

He was dead serious.

A guy in the next town bought a complete, intact, working, operational MiG-21 for $8,000. It cost him way more than that to have it shipped over here. And will cost him still more to have it brought up to airworthy standards where the FAA will allow it into American skies. Last I heard he was still a long way from flying it, but there's no doubt he has the coolest "Hangar Queen" on the airport. 

When I worked in Egypt from 2005-09, I often saw MiG-21's flying around. I think they were all Reserve aircraft by then, but they were pretty common. Also Mi-8 helicopters, SA-2 missiles and lots of other Russian gear. The Northern Defense Sector headquarters in downtown Alexandria had a pair of deactivated BMP-1's guarding its gate, up on plinths. Tourists would sometimes try to take pix of the BMPs, despite all the signs warning them not to do that. "Active Military Base - No Photos, No Approximations" (drawings).

• 3 months later...

Bought an ancient ('50s) 1/48 Aurora P-51H kit on ePay. I have a soft spot for this old crock, as I built one at my grandparent's house when I was maybe about 8. These things normally go in the $40-50 range and up, but I got a hella deal on this one because it's been started, which is fine because I want to build it. It's GOT to look better than the one I built when I was 8, right?B)