Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

3 hours ago, tbill said:

Picked this up the other day, it’s almost big enough to work as a flat bed load for one of my tractor trailer builds.

At least one builder did that, with the old Monogram/Revell 1/24 scale UH-1D.  He put it on a flatbed trailer behind a 1/24 scale semi truck. I saw it at a contest years ago. It looked great. The helicopter was heavily weathered, with damage and missing parts.  Like it had crashed and was being recovered.

In 1/24 scale, the whole project was HUGE.  That thing took up about half the contest table.  I've thought about doing the same, but using the 1/32 Huey and a 1/32 tractor-trailer. 

16 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

In 1/24 scale, the whole project was HUGE.  That thing took up about half the contest table.  I've thought about doing the same, but using the 1/32 Huey and a 1/32 tractor-trailer. 

Back in the '80s, one day I was driving north on I-81 and saw, coming south, a semi/flatbed with, no kidding, a disassembled P-51 Mustang on it. The airplane was in somewhat weathered bare metal, no paint, except for an N number in black on the fuselage sides. It looked like a "barn find" or something that hadn't been flown or cared for for a while, but was basically complete. I've often wondered which Mustang that was, and where it might be today. (You could do that in 1/32, too, is why I brought it up.) 

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

At least one builder did that, with the old Monogram/Revell 1/24 scale UH-1D.  He put it on a flatbed trailer behind a 1/24 scale semi truck. I saw it at a contest years ago. It looked great. The helicopter was heavily weathered, with damage and missing parts.  Like it had crashed and was being recovered.

It’s a touch small for what I have planned,  but I think it’ll do. I didn’t realize you could get/or there ever was a 1/24 scale chopper....

2 hours ago, tbill said:

It’s a touch small for what I have planned,  but I think it’ll do. I didn’t realize you could get/or there ever was a 1/24 scale chopper....

The 1/24 Huey was last issued in 2014, so you should be able to find one pretty easily.  Latest box art shown below. This kit dates way back to 1969, when it was "The Phantom Chopper" with a clear plastic fuselage. The only other 1/24 scale helicopter I know is a Hughes 500 from the Korean company IDEA.  That's a really simplified, toy-like kit. But it might work as a trailer load, especially if you draped enough tarps in/over it.

EDIT: I goofed above, in calling this a "UH-1D."  It's an early (short fuselage) UH-1B, which is right for a gunship. The U.S. Army never used the UH-1D as a gunship. Only scale model companies and Francis Ford Coppola did. ?

huey-24.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

14 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The 1/24 Huey was last issued in 2014, so you should be able to find one pretty easily.  Latest box art shown below. This kit dates way back to 1969, when it was "The Phantom Chopper" with a clear plastic fuselage. The only other 1/24 scale helicopter I know is a Hughes 500 from the Korean company IDEA.  That's a really simplified, toy-like kit. But it might work as a trailer load, especially if you draped enough tarps in/over it.

EDIT: I goofed above, in calling this a "UH-1D."  It's an early (short fuselage) UH-1B, which is right for a gunship. The U.S. Army never used the UH-1D as a gunship. Only scale model companies and Francis Ford Coppola did. ?

huey-24.jpg

Thanks so much for the info, I’ll have to look into getting one of those. It’s not my normal kind of purchase, and most stuff I see like that is in a much smaller scale, so I was completely unaware such a thing existed. Thanks again.

FYI Tom, if you will be looking for a 'coptor on feeBay you will find they can be pretty pricey. I was looking for one but unwilling  to pay the asked for prices. I did find one after a while at a really reasonable cost so they can be found.

As Snake said though, you may be able to find a 1/24 military airplane kit for a lower price. Just a different option if you get sticker shock from the chopper prices on there.

• 2 weeks later...

This monster came Saturday. The Trumpeter 1/35 scale Maus with full interior. Got it for half-price from Freetime Hobbies, with free shipping. The free shipping is a good idea with this kit: the box measures 24" L x 14" H x over 4" deep and weighs several pounds.  It includes a small reference book with color photos of the real Maus.

Even though it has a full interior, Trumpeter didn't make any of the engine-deck covers etc. removable. They're all molded in place.  Bummer.  All that detail and no way to see it, unless you go the "cutaway" route, I guess.  The aftermarket will probably fix that. On the Armorama site, a very detail-oriented modeler is fixing all of Trumpeter's errors and omissions.  A weird one is a rack of batteries, sitting in the place where ammo bins should go.

maus.jpg

This just came: Freedom Models Nike-Hercules missile in 1/35 scale.  I left the picture big so everybody can enjoy that box art:  incoming Russian Tu-95 "Bear" bombers, being attacked by F-102 Delta Darts and Nikes.  A nightmare scenario back in the 1950s.

This is the first 1/35 scale kit of the Nike-Hercules.  Revell did it way back in 1957, but in 1/40 scale.  A few years later Renwal did a Nike-Ajax in 1/32 scale, but that's a totally different missile. 

If you're truly insane, the launch pads of these kits are designed to interlock with each other.  So you could buy 4 of these kits and build yourself a complete Nike-Hercules site!

I hope these Cold War missile kits are a trend, and it looks like they may be. Both Dragon and AFV Club have both done kits of the HAWK missile.  Dragon did it in several different configurations, including a tracked launcher.  Dragon also did the Lance missile and its transporter.

nike.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 5:34 PM, DPNM said:

This was in my mailbox today. Yep, an old Badger 250. This was the first airbrush that I purchased many many years ago. Yep, it wasn't much of an airbrush then and I'm sure it isn't much of one now. Back then they were $9.99 so it was cheap. I got this one for just a bit more than I paid for the first one. The one I received today has never been used. Had to buy it for nostalgia's sake.

Second pic is the airbrush I bought after the first Badger 250 (mid 70s) and it's still the one I use today. And I do use the nylon handle as a paint stirrer, can't ya tell?.

Third pic is the book I learned from and I'd like to find a copy of it as mine is long gone.

badg250wren 002.jpg

This is the very first airbrush I ever used, borrowed from a frien to paint my Monogram 1:48 B-17. What an eye opening experience that was.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:42 PM, LDO said:

A Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I tank (early production). Early version of the tank, not the model. I got the display only version. It costs a lot less than the r/c tank. It was also a great price, even for the display kit.

Here's a comparison of a 1/16 and 1/35 early Tiger I. 

56010-3.jpg[

I am big time jealous. Tamiya makes several 1:16 tanks that I eventually want (JS-2, M26 Pershing, Jagdpanther), and this is certainly one of them.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:40 PM, Roadrunner said:

I am big time jealous. Tamiya makes several 1:16 tanks that I eventually want (JS-2, M26 Pershing, Jagdpanther), and this is certainly one of them.

Check eBay for bargains. I have seen builtup 1/16 rc tanks go for great prices. I got a King Tiger that way. Apparently, Heng Long rc tanks are fairly detailed. A guy in Germany makes parts to add detail, even offering a Leopard 2A4 turret to backdate their 2A6. That company also sells used and demo tanks on eBay for crazy low prices. I’ve seen them listed for $69. I got a Leopard 2A6 minus rc gear and missing track on one side for $49 plus shipping. You get can a  full set of replacement track for $14 plus shipping. The tank arrived today. I’ll check it out when I get home. 

On 11/27/2019 at 11:19 AM, Snake45 said:

Back in the '80s, one day I was driving north on I-81 and saw, coming south, a semi/flatbed with, no kidding, a disassembled P-51 Mustang on it. The airplane was in somewhat weathered bare metal, no paint, except for an N number in black on the fuselage sides. It looked like a "barn find" or something that hadn't been flown or cared for for a while, but was basically complete. I've often wondered which Mustang that was, and where it might be today. (You could do that in 1/32, too, is why I brought it up.) 

Same here, except that in my case it was a Polish MiG-21PF. I have photos here, somewhere.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, LDO said:

Check eBay for bargains. I have seen builtup 1/16 rc tanks go for great prices. I got a King Tiger that way. Apparently, Heng Long rc tanks are fairly detailed. A guy in Germany makes parts to add detail, even offering a Leopard 2A4 turret to backdate their 2A6. That company also sells used and demo tanks on eBay for crazy low prices. I’ve seen them listed for $69. I got a Leopard 2A6 minus rc gear and missing track on one side for $49 plus shipping. You get can a  full set of replacement track for $14 plus shipping. The tank arrived today. I’ll check it out when I get home. 

I'll do that. Thanks much.