Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

I found a Vintage fighter series 1/24 scale P-40 Warhawk. It was in our local hobby store! The kit has been out of production for years and I don't think there are many around. It is the only P-40 in this large scale. I'm thinking "flying tigers" !

Jerry

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2577.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 9:25 PM, HomerS said:

Didn't know this existed until it showed up in a Facebook post for a local toy store......sealed inside

And that's a 2-in-1 kit!  Builds a stock Wallis Autogyro or the James Bond version with guns and rockets.

This one came today.  On-topic for cars, off-topic for scale.  MiniArt, from the Ukraine, has done a bunch of Mercedes 170v kits in all different configurations:  WWII military staff cars, civilian cars complete with passengers and luggage.  And this one, the 170v sedan delivery or "Lieferwagen."  All 3 doors open and it includes decals for the medical vehicle on the boxtop, a camouflaged truck, or a German Reichspost delivery truck.  The roof rack is photo-etched metal.

These kits are insanely detailed, with engines and chassis that are complete right down to separate coil springs, etc.  Heller did a 1/24 Lieferwagen, but I think it was last re-issued around 2006.

170_amb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I've acquired quite a few new kits since I last posted, so I'll begin with this big ol' beast, one of many that I've grabbed.

spacer.png

Man, at 1/16 scale, that Tiger is gonna be a monster!! 

Edited by bismarck

Didn't get it today, but recently swapped for a built PT-109. The hull scales out at about 28' in 1/25th scale- plan to use this for a wood hulled cruiser with a v-16 engine, built in 1920's-1930's style. Lots of reference photos on line, some real inspiration there! Also have a Galaxy trailer I picked up years ago and never got inspired to build. Think I will convert it into a boat trailer. Maybe a 1937 Ford pickup as a tow vehicle. I have already disassembled the boat, the hull and deck separated very easily with no damage at all. Some of the deck details are molded in relief so I filled the underside recesses with 2 part epoxy. Cedar cigar wrapping for the hull and deck, also some leftover wood for trim and structure as needed. Need another project like a hole in the head, but this one is giving me the itch!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This one takes the cake. I've now seen everything. It was too strange to pass up. I found this at a local hobby store a few hours ago. At first I thought, "why?" But, the more I looked at it, the more I thought I had to buy it. It's going to be fun explaining this to people when they see it! 

IMG_4392.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As some here know, I love airplane models. Maybe not as much as cars. But, I do like them a lot. So, I could not pass this one up when I saw on eBay. It has my two of my all time favorite commercial planes ever in it. The Boeing B-377 Stratocruiser, and the Lockheed L-1049 Super G Constellation. Plus, the well liked, and respected, Douglas DC-3, and Boeing B-314 Clipper. Four very cool commercial airliners. Back from when flying was a special and glamorous was way to go. 

I like that each plane comes with a set of decals for at least two different liveries for each. Three come with Pan Am markings. My all time favorite airline. The Connie does not. It comes with decals for TWA or Qantas. But, I do know of an aftermarket vendor who makes Pan Am decals for Connie kits in this scale. So, I'll be buying a set soon.

IMG_4409.JPG

IMG_4410.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

Those are all cool and great planes.  I would build planes but the do take up a bit of space.

One thing I do not like about airplane kits vs cars. Is airplane kits rarely fit back in their box when your done building them. Making them hard to store. Where most model car kits do.

25 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I wish I could paint figures for a change of pace, I can not.

Never too late to learn. I've only been doing it for two years and have made good strides. Granted, it takes an investment in paints, washes and all that. I guess it's a matter of want.