Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

I didn't get it yet, but I should soon be getting an HO scale Proto 2000 Alco FA1, decked out in Great Northern gear.

What're you getting/ what'd you get today?

Very nice indeed. I have several Proto 2000 locos and they run extremely well.

I had these delivered:

37-255_1469378_Qty1_1.jpg

37-931_1469382_Qty1_2.jpg

These are for my next UK-based layout.

steve

(A few days ago) A Triton research submarine by Aoshima. This is the submersible that was used to get the first ever film footage of a live giant squid. It even came with a paper model of a giant squid.

It looks really cool, except that the representation of a plexiglass sphere had to be made in two pieces. I can't imagine a better way to do it, affordably, anyway.

I got some Tamiya "Camel" yellow for it, whick looks like a good match, but I may shoot some pearl over that. Hey- if I were spending millions of bucks on a research vessel, I'd darn sure make it look nice.

It would be awesome if they made a model of the Trieste.

Edited by LDO

Dragon Panzer IV F2

Dragon Sturmgeschuetz III D

Tamiya M5A1

The top two will continue with my "North African Campaign" series of builds and the M5 will be added to my USMC WWII series.

I also got a bunch of great aftermarket stowage items from Steve at Value Gear.

Mmmmmmmmmm good.

G

Found a 1/32 scale Westland Lysander at the thrift store for $1.99. Seems complete, though the box is pretty beat. Lysanders were used for short-field ops dropping and retrieving spies in occupied Europe during WW II. It will eventually find a home with some other 1/32 scale warbirds.

1024px-Lysander_5_Aug_2012_a.jpg

Also picked up a 1/20 Seaquest Stinger, again for $1.99. It may become a futuristic LSR vehicle...or not.

1687-box.jpg

I really have a hankering to put together a little HO-scale train scene over the holidays. I recently got one of these, to replace one I'd built and given away a long time ago. It makes a spectacular model, and really makes one wonder: if this much detail can be incorporated into a 1/87 scale model (and this thing was tooled way before CAD) what's the problem with getting the larger scales right?

TTG-4010-2.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

A few weeks back, I got and am working on, Pegasus Hobbies' "The War of the Worlds, War Machines Attack!" model. I got the "Special Edition Plated" version with "Chrome Copper Finish." It's a 1/144 scale diorama with two War Machines and two Sherman tanks. One of the tanks is being hit by a heat ray from one of the Copper plated War Machines. So far, a fun model.

As with several of you above, I too am into trains. Because of space limitations, I'm into N gauge. And I'm big into passenger trains and the Great Northern. I have two different Empire Builder combines I can run. Need to eventuly add a Santa Fe Super Chief to my fleet.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

One of the steamers coming round to the lower curve of the layout.

post-13841-0-72530400-1416296362_thumb.j

It's not finished yet, but all the track is down and is soon to be wired, in straight DC, mind you. DCC is too expensive at this point.

The time is around the years 1940-1955, give or take. It allows for a good mix of engines, hood units and steamers alike.

I myself really like switchers, like 0-4-0 Docksides or GE 44-tonners.

Found a 1/32 scale Westland Lysander at the thrift store for $1.99. Seems complete, though the box is pretty beat. Lysanders were used for short-field ops dropping and retrieving spies in occupied Europe during WW II. It will eventually find a home with some other 1/32 scale warbirds.

1024px-Lysander_5_Aug_2012_a.jpg

Sounds like the old Matchbox kit. Cool thing about Lizzies is if you don't feel like painting camo, you can do one in all-black or all-silver. I think there were even some target tugs in black and yellow zebra stripes.

The time is around the years 1940-1955, give or take. It allows for a good mix of engines, hood units and steamers alike.

I myself really like switchers, like 0-4-0 Docksides or GE 44-tonners.

You are a man after my own heart, sir. I think that was the absolute golden age of railroading in the States for exactly the reason you state...great mix of steam and diesel motive power, all over the country. I remember it well. I also have a soft spot for switchers, having spent many hours on a hill overlooking the yards as a kid. I live close to a short line now, and occasionally see an ancient GP-7 still working hard for its living.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Lightning!

I'm thinking about trying a plane kit, but I don't have $70 for the one I want... I think it's a Trumpeter? It's a Supermarine Spitfire Floatplane in 1/24 at my LHS.... Really want it.

The FA came a while ago. Rear truck was too low so it derailed over every single frog on the layout. It's got really nice lighting in it, and a moving fan, little slats on the side vents even move B)

Thanks Miles. I don't how it happens with my wife. If I happen to go with her to a thrift store....no models. If she goes by herself, I get a phone call about a model or two. Go figure. :rolleyes: I usually build 60's and 70's Muscle Cars, but I'll do an airplane just to do something different. Usually something from WWII. There's a couple of new WWII plane kits in 1/32 scale that I'd like to get, but they're way to expensive. One is a B-25 Mitchell and the other is a B-17. They're huge!

Also, since posts were lost from a small time period, I thought I'd repost the lot of planes I got off of Ebay. All of these plane kits for $38+shipping(it still came out to way less if each were bought individually). All, except one, are 1/48 scale and the one is 1/72. They're all open boxes, but all are still sealed in bags inside...except one(but, it's complete).

post-9116-0-24403800-1418420435_thumb.jp

Edited by The70judgeman

I guess this is autoish, but to save the trouble I'll post it here. It's the 1/35 Kinetic Model Kits 4X4 MRAP Armoured Fighting Vehicle from the first production run, so it includes the US soldier checkpoint figures as a bonus pack. I got it at Panther Model Supply that is pretty much right around the corner from me. They had it on Ebay for a 20% off sale, but I missed it on there and I stopped in today just to ask if they'd match that price. Well, they did and I'm a happy camper for sure! It's beautifully molded with lots of detail(the box is full with parts trees) and also includes a PE set for the window protection.

post-9116-0-96331900-1418510750_thumb.jp

My wife got me a B24 kit to build for my father in law.He was an radio operator on one during WWII.

That is one of my recent acquisitions, a 1/72 Minicraft B24J. My wife's father was a bombardier on the B24H Chiquita Mia which went down in Hungary in 1944. It should be an interesting build to recreate the plane. It has been fascinating to research the plane and crew.

I also picked up an HO Athearn Southern GP40X high nose the other day.

Edited by SSNJim