Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

On 1/19/2019 at 7:38 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm almost sure I've read it. Somewhere. Somewhen. But if the answer is anywhere, this book probably has it.

https://www.windcanyonbooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1164

I decided it's time to add this book, Howard's Golden Age, to my collection. Interesting website. A lot of cool books for sale. This maybe (read will be) a costly site for me to learn about. 

Okay. A few very cool things arrived on my front porch this afternoon. First a 1959 Chrysler salesmans price guide. In good shape, and very, very cool. Second two very old children's books published when I was a kid. Neither of which I had back then. But, they are Golden Books on two of my favorite subjects. So I figured I'd like them. And they were both in better condition than expected. Which is a nice little bonus. 

And then I also got one huge box. In it, something very cool. Dragon Models pre-assembled Boeing 747 cut away model. 1:144 scale, and modeled after the first 747 ever flown, "the City of Everett." In Boeing's house colors at the time. I've been thinking about adding this to my collection for a couple of years now. The question is were do I display it? I really have no good place in my house for it. Still it's so cool! I've always loved cut away and/or so called visible models, showing the insides of things. The kid in me wants to know how everything is laid out and works. 

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Okay. A few very cool things arrived on my front porch this afternoon. First a 1959 Chrysler salesmans price guide. In good shape, and very, very cool. Second two very old children's books published when I was a kid. Neither of which I had back then. But, they are Golden Books on two of my favorite subjects. So I figured I'd like them. And they were both in better condition than expected. Which is a nice little bonus. 

IMG_3446.JPG

I had that Space Flight book when I was a kid! Might even have it somewhere, maybe. 

In today's mail, I got Dragon Model's 1/400 pre-built Titan IIIC MOL Gemini Spacecraft w/Launch Pad. A beautiful model. Though a very small model, for what I consider big money. Is it worth it? I've thought about it for a few years now. In the end, I said yes. It's that nice. 

IMG_3453.JPG

On 1/19/2019 at 7:38 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm almost sure I've read it. Somewhere. Somewhen. But if the answer is anywhere, this book probably has it.

https://www.windcanyonbooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1164

Nope. It's not there, sad to say. You were right. If it was going to be anywhere, you would think it would be in that book. But, I'm getting the impression from are the research I've done on this subject, it might be something Benny Howard did not talk a lot about at the time. And is now lost in sands of time. Still, it was a good suggestion on the book. It does tell you just about everything you'd want to know Mr. Howard's airplanes. But, other than DGA-4 and DGA-5, Mike and Ike, it gives us few clues to the nicknames used on his other planes. 

I'm about to launch (pun intended) into building my second 4D Vision Saturn V Rocket. I built one 3 or 4 years ago. But, I gave the model to a local middle school science teacher. I had no regrets, until I started looking at Saturn V and Apollo models as the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing approaches. I couldn't ask for the first one back. So I've decided to buy and build a second one. 

This is a very fun kit to built. Everything is pre-painted a designed to snap together. But as I found with the first one, a little glue is helpful in securing some of the parts to the model. There are 180 parts. The model is in 1/100 scale. It stands at 43 1/2 inches tall when it's finished. And if I start right now. I should have it finished before I go to bed tonight. I'm in no rush, and Orville is on tonight, so we'll see how far I get. Tomorrow being Good Friday, I do not have to work. So I have plenty of time to go slowly and do a nice job. 

IMG_3456.JPG

Another space related model in today's mail. Atlantis' repop of Revell's old 1:110 scale Everything Is Go kit. It includes John Glenn's Friendship 7 Mercury capsule. An Atlas rocket booster. And launch facilities. Originally released shortly after Glenn's historic flight, it also includes a copy of a booklet commemorating the event, that came with that first release. 

Mixed feeling on buying this one. I'm not really all that gung-ho on building it right away. But, I figured now was a good chance to get one. Who knows if it will be available when I do decide I'd like to build it? And I don't? Someone will someday get a chance to buy one from my estate after I croak. 

IMG_3472.JPG

Well, I guess it's sort of a "car" model, since it includes the Oshkosh M983 tractor.  Trumpeter's 1/35 scale M1120 Terminal High Altitude Air Defense missile system (THAAD).

It was on sale at a mostly military vendor's site.  I worked on parts of the real thing before I retired. It's a monster kit, something like 750 parts and the lift arms etc. work like the real thing, if you can get it together.

thaad.jpg

Edited by Mike999

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Well, I guess it's sort of a "car" model, since it includes the Oshkosh M983 tractor.  Trumpeter's 1/35 scale M1120 Terminal High Altitude Air Defense missile system (THAAD).

It was on sale at a mostly military vendor's site.  I worked on parts of the real thing before I retired. It's a monster kit, something like 750 parts and the lift arms etc. work like the real thing, if you can get it together.

thaad.jpg

NICE!

G

On 4/25/2019 at 12:50 PM, unclescott58 said:

Another space related model in today's mail. Atlantis' repop of Revell's old 1:110 scale Everything Is Go kit. It includes John Glenn's Friendship 7 Mercury capsule. An Atlas rocket booster. And launch facilities. Originally released shortly after Glenn's historic flight, it also includes a copy of a booklet commemorating the event, that came with that first release. 

Mixed feeling on buying this one. I'm not really all that gung-ho on building it right away. But, I figured now was a good chance to get one. Who knows if it will be available when I do decide I'd like to build it? And I don't? Someone will someday get a chance to buy one from my estate after I croak. 

IMG_3472.JPG

I got one of those a few months ago too. Atlantis is reissuing it, but I figured it would be better to get an older one. Found one for a reasonable price on eBay. 

Picked up a Testors 1/48 SR-71 Blackbird

image.png.89cd992da14e3ec8d5443c96b01ee647.png

With a True Details Cockpit Detail Set

image.png.a039b950fe59086509d84338ddfa15ce.png

True Details SR-71 Wheel Set

image.png.882015333c167aa3fc72ef858e40d485.png

and a Model Technologies SR-71 Photo Etch Cockpit Sill Set for the princely sum of 35 bucks. :D  Should be here Monday afternoon.

Today? Another airplane. This time Academy's 1/72 scale F-4J Phantom. I've read and seen some very positive reviews on this kit. It's a fairly new tool. And it's part of Academy's MCP (Multi Color Parts) series of kits. Academy's MCP kits are designed in a way that they do not need to be painted. I've build a couple of their MCP kits in the past, including three different scale R.M.S. Titanics, with very satisfactory results. In this kit's case, some smaller details are done through a choice of decals or stickers. I'm looking forward to building this one, and to getting as good of results as the other MCP kits I've built. I also hope Academy continues with this concept. It's nice to build a good looking, yet detailed kit, without painting. 

IMG_3510.JPG

IMG_3511.JPG

The second of my anatomical models arrived today. Supposably one was left on my front step this last Monday morning. But, it wasn't there when I got home from work. I immediately contacted Amazon and they sent me another one. Giving the delivery person instructions to put it in my front porch, instead of front step were anybody can see it. I also posted a note on the front window requesting the same. On my porch it's not only out direct line of sight, but is also protected from the elements. Like the rain we are getting today. Which has been a problem with other deliveries. 

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG