Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

I thought you might approve of that one. :D

Better than some of the old Monogram birds IMO.

I love Stukas, especially the G models with those totally "Bad A" 37mm cannons under the wings.

You know I don't really like a lot of the lack of detail that the old Monogram birds have , this is true. But they were first molded back in the 60's (or at least a lot of 'em were) so I try to cut some slack on that. The rivet detail I definitely like on a lot of the old Monogram birds like the Dauntless though. That you don't see on todays kits. Panel lines, whether they are engraved or raised, replace the rivets. Back when I was a kid, the Monogram kits were da bomb!!

myzep-vi.jpg

Not a model but with all the aerospace models above it fits right in... I just got this, a real original flown Graf Zeppelin postcard. What makes this one special is the US 65 cent Zeppelin stamp. I just love history I can hold in my hands!

Didn't mean to overlook this one there Tom. That sir , is priceless!!

I'll take a couple pictures along the way. Right now, it's just about cleanup and lots of test fitting, sanding ejector marks... Once it's all done, I'll put a glass post in All The Rest with the more interesting build pictures.

That reminds me... I need a display case for this. All the ones I have are for cars!

Got the Gee-Bee in the mail today. Nice kit, pretty simple, albeit flash-heavy in places. It'll make a nice little model, especially with the motor I have for it.

I see you already know that that kit, though it's labeled as 1/32, is actually about 1/26 or so...if you measure the wingspan and divide it out. Only the little pilot figure is 1/32.

If you're going for an accurate-appearing GeeBee, you'll need to sand the ribs on the wings flat.

The model depicts the wings as being covered in fabric, stretched over ribs...a common enough way to build older, slower airplanes...

The real GeeBee had wing skins made of plywood however. They were sanded very straight, and painted very slick.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Almost picked up several 1/35 armor kits at the thrift store very cheap...buncha figures too. Thought maybe a change of pace might help me to get some work done on something model-related, anyway. Went back after deciding to go ahead and get them, and they were gone. Oh well. Somebody got a really great deal on some WWII Russian and German tanks, artillery, figures and motorcycles.