Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Congrats on fulfilling your Dodge fix...

Thanks again for all the extra info.

And thanks for pointing me towards Bilek. I found the Dodge radio truck, essentially the same kit as the Italeri ambulance I wanted (different decals...and Bilek did an ambulance too) for a price too good to pass up. I'm really impressed with the kit. Even though it has no engine, I sure would be more than happy to pay for that kind of quality and parts count in larger scale.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting into building some military subjects, learn some of the great weathering techniques I've been blown away by, and to not feel the need to extensively modify everything like I usually do with cars.

1/35 BILEK ITALERI US Dodge 4X4 Radio Truck Signal Corps ...

39 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks again for all the extra info...                                                                   

Blast Models in France did 2 very nice resin upgrades for the M6 Gun Motor Carriage:  Early WWII and Late/Postwar.  "Postwar" because the Free French Forces in WWII got some M6's and kept using them after the war.  Unfortunately, these upgrades were Limited Production kits made back in 2015, so they're almost Unobtainium today.

Blast also makes improved resin wheels and other stuff for the Italeri and Skybow kits.  

https://www.blast-models.eu/en/19-world-war-ii

This just came in the mail.  Made by MMK in the Czech Republic.  It's a conversion for the WC-62 kit, making it an armored version as used by the French in Vietnam.  Got it from the eBay seller "larrylmtanks."  He's Czech and sells a lot of great, oddball conversion kits.

On a biz trip once to Toulouse, France, at a flea market I found a set of 3 soft-cover books about the French war in Vietnam.  They were published by Editions Heimdal, who do a lot of books aimed at modelers.  The text is French, but the books are mostly photos of military vehicles, aircraft etc. used in the war. 

The screens over the bed on this conversion were a common modification on open vehicles. To keep out the sun and, more important, Viet Minh hand grenades.

wc62 arm.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Incoming!  Weird and ugly, so I had to have it.  The TP-63 two-seater version of the P-63 Kingcobra.  Bell Aircraft built 2 of these. To make room for the rear observer's seat, the radio equipment was moved up to the weapons bay in the nose.  These were only used post-war for testing, so no armament was needed.

Dora Wings 1/48 scale kit with decals for both versions Bell produced, civilian registrations NX41963 and NX41964.  The kit has photo-etched parts and paint masks in the box.  Dora also makes a 1/72 version, for you non-geezers who still have good eyesight.

tp-63.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Incoming!  Weird and ugly, so I had to have it.  The TP-63 two-seater version of the P-63 Kingcobra.  Bell Aircraft built 2 of these. To make room for the rear observer's seat, the radio equipment was moved up to the weapons bay in the nose.  These were only used post-war for testing, so no armament was needed.

Dora Wings 1/48 scale kit with decals for both versions Bell produced, civilian registrations NX41963 and NX41964.  The kit has photo-etched parts and paint masks in the box.  Dora also makes a 1/72 version, for you non-geezers who still have good eyesight.

tp-63.jpg

Very cool, but the 2-seater's too ugly for me. I have a couple of old limited-run 1/48 kits. Come to think of it, maybe three. One is the tall-tail F (which still exists and flies), one the bubble-canopy one, and one I want to do as a French C in Indochina. 

More weirdness in the mail today.  This time in 1/35 scale and German WWII.  Meet the Salvenmaschinenkanone (SMK) 18 - Typ 2, from Das Werk models.

The SMK-18 mounted eight 20mm cannon, designed to fire simultaneously thru a (huge) common bolt.  The idea was the same as modern close-in weapons systems like the Phalanx: throw an enormous amount of metal at incoming targets. 

The Germans never worked out the bugs of firing all 8 guns at the same time, and only 2 of these were ever built, maybe. Not much is known about these little monsters.  The kit shows paint jobs for 2 guns, one at the Rheinmetall factory test range in 1939 and another from an unknown unit in Berlin, 1945.  

Das Werk is a fairly new company doing some standard stuff like German tank kits.  And other oddball subjects, like a Wurzburg radar site.

salves.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

12 hours ago, stitchdup said:

thanks, its always a good day when you learn something new

You're welcome.

The turbine application that allows the "turboprop" is also very similar to the way a turbine engine is used in a land vehicle like a truck or car, with the output shaft going to a gearbox or transmission and driving the rear wheels as in a conventional vehicle.

The output shaft can also be connected to a generator to make electricity to power the traction motors on a railway locomotive, or to power electric motors on some very exotic hybrid cars like the Jag C-X75.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

I got this the other day in the mail from Sam I Am. Going to build it for a guy at work who likes this type of stuff. For those who don't know, it is a resin copy of the gun Will Smith used in Men In Black 2.

Later-

IMG_20200822_161350205.jpg

The “noisey cricket” .?

On 8/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, Kit Basher said:

Picked up one of these at the HL sale. A total nostalgia purchase. I built one of these when I was a kid, and thought it would be fun to give it another go.

Until a few years ago, that was the ONLY plastic kit available of an M48-A2 (gasoline-engined) tank.  Military modelers used to hack the engine deck out of it, and mate that to the Tamiya M48-A3 (Diesel-engined).  Or they would go the other way, use the Monogram kit as the basis, and transfer wheels and other parts from the Tamiya kit.  The basic Monogram kit is not bad at all for its age.  The worst things about it are the molded-in tools and other details, and that's easily fixed.  You'll find lots of articles about upgrading it on Mr. Internet.  Or just build it out of the box and have fun with it!

Here's my latest weirdo, the Mini-Art SLA T-54 Armored Personnel Carrier with dozer blade.  Exactly one of these was built in real life, by the South Lebanon Army. They removed the turret from a T-54 tank, put in seats, and built an armored superstructure on top for protection. There are photos of 2 different configurations on that superstructure. Apparently the superstructure was modified when they added that big RED! dozer blade.  It's one of Mini-Art's "interior" kits, meaning it has the engine, driver's compartment and an interior that's insanely detailed.  

See the source image   

On 8/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, Kit Basher said:

Picked up one of these at the HL sale. A total nostalgia purchase. I built one of these when I was a kid, and thought it would be fun to give it another go.

image.jpeg.362e3d688a3f88262d2a17d4f19596d5.jpeg

I couldn't find any cars or airplanes I needed, so I got a Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog and a reissued ex-Aurora M46 Patton (built it as a kid). $24 out the door for both of them, not horrible by 2020 standards. 

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Or just build it out of the box and have fun with it!

I think that's exactly what I will do.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I couldn't find any cars or airplanes I needed, so I got a Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog and a reissued ex-Aurora M46 Patton (built it as a kid). $24 out the door for both of them, not horrible by 2020 standards. 

I didn't see much in cars or aircraft either, although I did buy a '69 Camaro. I've been watching a lot of "Touring Car Masters" (Australian vintage road racing), and it's inspiring me to build something. I may go back for a '69 Mustang for the same reason.

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That 40% sale is great.  It ends today, and I hope I see another one in my lifetime. 

Two old Aurora 1/48 tank kits I hope Atlantis has:  the M-109 short-barreled howitzer and the Swedish "S" tank.  In the 1970's Aurora released the M-109 with a vac-formed diorama base, which worked better than it sounds. The figures with it even carried 1/48 scale M-16 rifles. 

The no-turret "S" tank is just weird, so of course I like it.  That tank was one of Trumpeter's first original kits in 1/35 scale, released in 2 different versions and still findable at pretty low prices.

Aurora 1/48 Swedish 'S' Tank, 328  

Got a screaming deal on a box of vintage HO scale Kadee couplers, enough to refit 20 cars, and a nice selection of Details West, Tichy, and Cal-Scale super-detail parts.

I've been collecting old-school "craftsman" ho kits for a while now. To me, they're great fun to build, because of the "difficulty", and the subject matter (the steam-to-diesel transition era, when I was a kid). Done right they look great, but are somewhat lacking in detail and function that becomes apparent when used with today's rolling stock...but nothing that a little retrofitting won't fix.

s-l400.jpg    s-l300.jpg   

Cal-Scale   HO Cal Scale Steam Parts             Lot of 2 packages Tichy 3067 HO Triangular Hinges (plastic ...

On 8/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, Mike999 said:

The no-turret "S" tank is just weird, so of course I like it.  That tank was one of Trumpeter's first original kits in 1/35 scale, released in 2 different versions and still findable at pretty low prices.

Aurora 1/48 Swedish 'S' Tank, 328  

Someday, someone's gonna have to explain to me the difference between the turretless S tank and the German "assault guns" (Stug III and IV, etc.) of WWII. :unsure:

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Someday, someone's gonna have to explain to me the difference between the turretless S tank and the German "assault guns" (Stug III and IV, etc.) of WWII. :unsure:

Mr. Wiki can do that!  The German assault guns influenced it, but the "S" tank was a lot weirder.  The gun traversed by engaging the tracks, and elevated by raising the whole suspension.  If it needed to go "hull down" the suspension dropped, like a Low-Rider, and the tank had a built-in dozer blade to dig its own firing position.

The thing also had 2 engines in it, a Rolls-Royce Diesel and a Caterpillar turbine.  It was the first tank powered by a turbine.  Like I said, weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsvagn_103