Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ronnie Sox '64 Comet A/FX

bogger44

Had a lot of fun building this one. It's the Model King/AMT Comet bashed with the drivetrain & chassis from a Revell Thunderbolt. MCW resin hood, Modelhaus Howard Competition mags, Slixx decals. Raised the suspension for a more accurate stance. Parts box front tires (could be a little narrower but I'm ok with 'em) and created just enough room for the rear slicks to tuck into the fenders without rubbing. Interior wise all I added was a clutch pedal, shifter, and tach. For the rear quarter windows I trimmed down the Thunderbolt units. The 427 was treated to coil & ignition wires, and a set of stamped "Mercury" valve covers from a AMT '66 Parklane. I was kinda irked that I had forgotten to remove the chrome caps on the front fenders, but I'll live with it. She's not 100%, but close enough for me. I wanted to take some outdoor pics, but didn't want to take it out into the 15 degrees and wind so I made do with some pics by a living room window, along with a couple others that came out kinda dark. Not sure why, but the red areas on the car look kinda blotchy (at least on my computer) and don't know why. Tried uploading them twice to photobucket with the same results both times. The actual pics look clear and just fine, so who knows?......... :wacko:

64Comet008_zps8757582a.jpg

64Comet010_zps6ae99dea.jpg

64Comet003_zps45e7c9cf.jpg

64Comet015_zpsec10740a.jpg

64Comet029_zpse0288acd.jpg

a few more shortly....

Hi Tony,

I really like this model. I've always liked the cars too, and I've seen them race back in the day.

Very good that you made the front bumper a lightweight, a very nice touch. You mentioned the tires, no problem.

Cleanly build, correct, and nice paint. I like!

Michael

Thanks for the comments guys.

Very nice! Who's paint did you use?

Duplicolor GM ( :o Lol) Bright Red and Nissan ( :o Lol) Super White

Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue

Very nice,,, One of my favorite cars to replicate .

I have a the Comet on my short list to do . Although I keep leaning towards the white car version. Then I see one done like this and start to rethink my color choices

Since the Slixx decal sheet has graphics for both cars, I'll be building the white car sometime in the future too.

Very nice Mercury Comet. I really like seeing these older Drag Racers being built. Especially old Stockers and Factory Experimental Cars are my favorites. The overall look is excellent, I like the stance and wheel and tire choice is really nice too. Good job creating an Old School Drag Car. I like this very much.