Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1970 Challenger T/A Rebuild-Under Glass 03-13

mustang1989

Jonathan:Thank you sir!

Kevin and David:I believe you both on that and thank you a lot for your input guys.

Daniel: You're gonna get my honest opinion on the plane kits since that's my specialty........................EDUARD-----HANDS DOWN!! :D

Edited by mustang1989

Today fellas, I hit the gauge work hard. My only regret is that I didn't grab the camera sooner! I ended up using a piece of the packaging that my sanding pads came in for a base work for the gauges:

IPGaugebuildup001_zpsbb3133a3.jpg

I cut a shape that I could make a gauge backing out of the rectangular piece, applied the decals in the correct place(that took a little time) and after allowing to dry I shot some black on the back side of the panel to prevent any "air gaps" from the side of the gauges to the hole as seen from the front. The decals are incorrect as there are two charging system gauges. Oh well I guess.......in the big scheme of things it aint a biggie.

IPGaugebuildup002_zpsea8554c8.jpg

I painted over the detail that I had initially done 32 years ago to see if I could improve on anything. Here the IP is ready for detail painting and the installation of the gauges.

IPGaugebuildup003_zps14a083e1.jpg

It took me SEVERAL shots before I could get a pic without glare, without plastic shavings or dust and to capture the gauge work and detail work. The details I picked out with a silver and white lead pencils and brought out the knobs with gloss clear. Looks like the gauges turned out ok. Whew!

IPGaugebuildupnotblurry_zps8ea87f8e.jpg

This camera and I are about to go round and round. Still learning it. It want's to focus on the background...........alot! icon_sAng_rant_zps60eb0ce9.gif

Edited by mustang1989

Help yourself there Tim and thanks for the vote of confidence!

Thanks for your encouragement as well Pat! Man I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's T/A strip had a few snags in it. lol How long ago did you build it?

I don't know Joe. I know I wasn't 14 but it is in the 90's at the latest.

Well this morning saw the whole IP carrier assy coming together. I did not modify the dash pad but I did shoot it with a light coat of flat clear to take care of the shiny glue joints from 32 years ago and still managed to get one little shiny spot from todays gluing session which I neutralized with a light dry brushing of ground up black pastel. Here she is all ready for the steering wheel and whats funny is that speedo doesn't show up all grainy with the naked eye.emotion-8.gif Don't know what that's all about.

IPCarrierAssy_zps12927b20.jpg

And I started on the steering wheel this morning. I broke the camera out before I went any further past the one hole. Whew!

SteeringWheel001_zpsbcfd3cbb.jpg

and here we are after all the holes drilled out:

SteeringWheel002_zps0f239f37.jpg

Now I just have to finish cleaning up and start slinging some paint now.......

Edited by mustang1989

Dan:Thanks buddy! You left the web address out ( Don't worry I post narratives and forget to post pictures!). Lookin' forward to the address so I can get the belts going.

Carl:Thanks man!

Well there wasn't any modeling this morning. Had 2 Christmas parties last night. Fortunately for me I don't partake anymore but my wife sure did! LOL . So no modeling time ......................icon_sAng_hissyfit_zpswrtdfsd9.gif!

Ah well! We had a great time together.

Edited by mustang1989

Did some work to the steering wheel and column this morning but still have a small amount of touch up to do. Will post pics of that tomorrow when I'm finished with it. It was a little tricky painting it and I had to work with what I had.

Anyways I moved on to the ignition wires for a change of pace. Should have the distributor side of the wires done tomorrow morning and hope to have the boots all painted up. ( It was a shame I couldn't find any black wire right now but I'll work with what I have).

Got two more to go but here's some progress anyways:

Ignitionwires001_zps0ced5d46.jpg