Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1970 Challenger T/A Rebuild-Under Glass 03-13

mustang1989

Fred:I was actually thinking of installing a dipstick tube along with the the heater hoses. Got any pics of the pink Challenger?

Ron:Thanks bud! I had to do it more justice after all that kit has been through. lol

Dan:Thanks Dan! I opted for the two piece updated Revell design over the original one piece simply because there's a hek of alot more detail and the two piece design shows the air filter element.

It's true I'm a BIG fan of the P-51 and most other WWII birds (particularly Luftwaffe stuff) ...

I noticed the Me 163 emblem in your avatar. B)

Too bad the Germans didn't use simpler paint jobs. I'd build more models of their stuff if they had. I don't have the skills and/or patience to do that mottle stuff. :unsure:

Lee:Thank you sir!

Tom:I appreciate the uplifting words bud! Hopefully I can wrap up the engine build before the end of the year and move on to the interior and body some more.

Speaking of which I actually did make some progress on the body even though I'm 500 miles away from home right now. Being of the "diehard" mentality , I brought my car body and sanding pads with me. I managed to get rid of the paint runs just in front of the R/H rear wheel opening and the "speck" on the drivers door. Progress pics for today?................not a problem! As AC/DC says, "Can't hold me back!" sSig_Muahaha_zps56835599.gif

BodyworkinBowie002_zps3a7b6b6f.jpg

BodyworkinBowie001_zps2e688832.jpg

BodyworkinBowie003_zpsd4ded86d.jpg

Too bad the Germans didn't use simpler paint jobs. I'd build more models of their stuff if they had. I don't have the skills and/or patience to do that mottle stuff. :unsure:

I thought the same thing when I started applying mottle patterns but with the help of some skilled folks on the forums, I caught on. I'm a true believer in these forums and enjoy the company while I'm here learning. It's a do-able thing for you there Rich! :D

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Kevin! I picked up the final three builds from my parents house that I built in my teens. I'll post pics of those tomorrow when I feel more rested from the trip back home that my son and I made today.

Tom:Thanks for the good word buddy! I'll be starting a 66 Barracuda Hemi Under Glass build next year ............that aint far away is it? I have a Bf109 to get through first before I make it to that one though.

Ok. I felt up to posting tonight so here's one of the builds that I did as a teen. I can't remember exactly when I built this but I think it was around 17 or so (which makes this jewel around the 29 year old mark) . I took a Dodge Daytona OOB kit (it may have been a Snap-Tite) and converted it from a bone stock 4 cylinder car to this. To revamp this I'll need a complete front end , underbody and all that stuff from a Funny Car kit. Somehow the concept of a front end and steering linkage totally escaped me. lol I put a Hemi in it from another kit somewhere, Weld Draglites from somewhere and the front runners were out of a Jo-Han kit that I had. (I dunno the kind of car I robbed all the wheels and tires from). I made the light covers from scratch. To revamp this...............Man the ideas are overwhelming and I can hear the squirrels on the squeaky conveyer belt in my head! lol

It did look cool at the time I built it though...

DodgeDaytona002_zps2246eb06.jpg

DodgeDaytona001_zps0ff32811.jpg

DodgeDaytona003_zpsead9acf0.jpg

The pink Hemi in the background was to be used for something. I even wired it up with sewing thread! lol (Hey , its all I knew to use at the time.) Will post the other two soon.

Edited by mustang1989

Here we are with today's update. I was thinking of doing it anyways and trying to figure out how to pull it off and Fred just tipped me over the edge with replicating a engine oil indicator tube and indicator (otherwise known as the dipstick). Fellas I think I pulled it off.

I started with a piece of copper wire:

Dipsticktubeandindicator001_zpsaedac34a.

Then drilled out the hole for the indicator to be secured in:

Dipsticktubeandindicator002_zps5c46e9d8.

The results of that:

Dipsticktubeandindicator003_zps820142db.

Then I took some thinner copper wire, hammered out the end and wrapped it around a drill bit to form the "hook":

Dipsticktubeandindicatorbending_zps47b7a

The trimmed the excess off a little bit and super glued it in to place................Walah!! (and "Whew! Glad that part's done!)

Dipsticktubeandindicator005_zpsf9fdf790.

Now to let that dry. I should be painting it either this afternoon or in the morning.