Model Cars Magazine Forum

MARTIANS! Lighted 9" Star Trek Saucer Kitbash is Finished!

MARTIAN FLYING SAUCER!

I am going to build a 9" Flying Saucer using the Dish Section of the AMT USS Yamaguchi for the main Body. I am getting Martians and other Details from the Pegasus Alpha Centauri UFO Kit. I will probably add Lights later.

DSCN5703M_zpsceb78a1e.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

The Martian Underside!

This is the Underside of the Dish with the underside of the UFO fit in place where it will be positioned later.

DSCN6238M_zpsa12feee8.jpg

I am using a 1/16th" Drill Bit to cut plastic. I will use it kind of like a router bit.

DSCN5657M_zps1865f30b.jpg

I cut out most of the plastic that would have been under the UFO Underside.

DSCN5671M_zps80cbcbb2.jpg

More Coming... B)

Making More Room!

I traced a top from a Spray Can on to the Top of the UFO. I am going to use the Spray Can Top for the Cockpit.

DSCN5675M_zpsfcd25ce7.jpg

Next I drew a Circle inside the traced Circle. The inside Circle is the Cut Line and the outside Circle is the Glue Line for the Cockpit.

DSCN5677M_zpseaf01cab.jpg

Here is the UFO Top after a rough cut out. I'll trim out the hole nice and clean with an X-Acto Knife. Then I'll sand it smooth.

DSCN5679M_zps31f23875.jpg

More Coming... B)

Top Side!

I traced an outline of the Spray Can Top on the Top of the Disc. Then I cut it out.

DSCN6309M_zps5e7e2d7e.jpg

Next I marked the Top of the UFO to fit down over the raised area of the Disc.

DSCN5684M_zps288f0f09.jpg

I cut out the Marked area on the UFO Top and then I cut off part of the raised area to fit inside the UFO Top.

DSCN5690M_zps9e09e097.jpg

Here is the UFO top in place on the Disc.

DSCN5687M_zps853e5987.jpg

More Coming... B)

• 3 weeks later...

More Headroom!

I decided to make the Saucer about 1/4 inch Thicker. The plan is to glue 1/4 inch Plastic Strips between the top and the bottom of the Saucer.

DSCN6445M_zps5a00244d.jpg

I wrapped the Plastic Strips around small paint bottles to make them curve. Much easier to glue this way.

DSCN6449M_zps5e5f86f5.jpg

I'm using Zap-A-Gap Glue and only gluing part of the Strip at a time, to the bottom of the Saucer.

DSCN6508M_zpsc8bba4b5.jpg

More Coming... B)

STRIPS!

I glued down the second Strip to form a ring.

DSCN6511M_zps25146fef.jpg

I needed to add some thickness to the Ring so I glued 2 Strips, that are half as thick as the first 2, over the first 2 Strips.

DSCN6521M_zps97e11f23.jpg

That was the thickness I needed for a good fit. Next I glued the Top on to the bottom of the Disc. With these modifications and the UFO Saucer Sections in place, the Interior Height of the Saucer is now an inch Taller. The UFO Sections are not glued in yet.

DSCN6530M_zps0f21cd66.jpg

More Coming... B)