Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nissan 300ZX by Tamiya

nutboltu

The one build where almost everything went flawlessly....almost. Then the black basecoat bled through after I applied the clear. Too soon perhaps. The Nissan is lightly tweaked. Slight lowering of the front, added a hand made chin spoiler and smoothed the rear spoiler for a more fluid look. Currently has the left hand drive setup but thinkgin of going for the right hand drive.

The engine has a few molded in parts. Needed to clear up some of that. An actual 300ZX engine isn't pretty to look at. The piping looks wrong here, in fact it's kinda incomplete on these Tamiya models, but oh well. I wish I could have added different wheels but where I'm from, kinda difficult to get parts. THe best I could do is give it a satin black finish.

Overall, this is a wonderful kit by Tamiya with everything providing excellent fit.

post-10700-0-68917800-1416570564_thumb.j

post-10700-0-33510500-1416570566_thumb.j

post-10700-0-35847100-1416570567_thumb.j

post-10700-0-47882300-1416570874_thumb.j

post-10700-0-36902400-1416570875_thumb.j

post-10700-0-20804200-1416570876_thumb.j

post-10700-0-77050100-1416570876_thumb.j

I've got one I partially started years ago.The black window trim isn't so hot on it so I have to re-do it.

It's interesting to compare the kit to the Fujimi offering and see just how different they are(The Tamiya being much more accurate).

And,yeah,Tamiya seems to enjoy leaving out major portions of under hood detail(take a look at a Soarer kit with engine,for example, and then look at the illustration on the box top-most of the fuel system is missing).

Nicely done Ronny!

I also have this kit in the stash so it was nice seeing it built.

You should build it. Easy, quick work unless you start customising. But painting the window details is a bitch. Where I'm form, we don't even get good quality thin masking tape for modelling. Had to make do with 3M scotch tape.

I've got one I partially started years ago.The black window trim isn't so hot on it so I have to re-do it.

It's interesting to compare the kit to the Fujimi offering and see just how different they are(The Tamiya being much more accurate).

And,yeah,Tamiya seems to enjoy leaving out major portions of under hood detail(take a look at a Soarer kit with engine,for example, and then look at the illustration on the box top-most of the fuel system is missing).

Missing detail is annoying. Only Fujimi piece i got is a AE86. Looks pretty accurate but not sure. Curbside model though so sadly no engine awesomeness.

Where I'm form, we don't even get good quality thin masking tape for modelling. Had to make do with 3M scotch tape

You can order some off of Tamiya's website.. It is really good tape and comes in different sizes. Scroll down a little and you will find it http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/painting/kit870P01.htm

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ADAPT AND OVERCOME!! You do VERY clean, great work!!!!

THanks so much. I've got a little OCD about squiggly trim lines. Have retouched several of my older builds.

You can order some off of Tamiya's website.. It is really good tape and comes in different sizes. Scroll down a little and you will find it http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/painting/kit870P01.htm

THanks DynoMight, much appreciated for the link. YOu'd be surprised to know I used 3M scotchtape for this one. It worked cause the window inners weren't too curved. That scotch tape is excellent for preventing bleed through. But terrible for compound surfaces. Will try getting some of the tamiya tape. Getting stuff via online is a pain in my country.