Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:The GT40 project New pics 2/13/17

Randy D

Randy,

I was almost in disbelief that work like this was even real, until I got to see it for myself in AZ. It's real- real impressive! What's always surprising when you see forum builds in person, is how small it really is, yet still has so much detail. This is one spectacular build, and your hand-craftsmanship amazes me. Glad I got to see it and meet you in person. Hopefully we'll see some of the Pro Tech parts you picked up from me on this before too long!

-Art

Randy.... Wow I truly impressed by these brakes. man are they are work of art. Holy smokes. The work is incredible and so glad I was able to see it in person at the DSC and meet you. I am looking forward to seeing it in person again next week. Keep up the great work on this.

again my suspicion that you are alien is being confirmed :lol::lol:

seriously .. the level of detail on this is just mindblowing , you are at such a level that you just are a great inspriration for a lot of builders out there ..

i sometimes say monkey see monkey do and i feel that stuff like this inspires others to step up on detail and what not ..

i myself i get like a boost seeing stuff like this ... started with dio's saw great detailed dios and it inspired me to ......

i also want to start and try working with brass and soldering in the future !! i think it looks great and i just want to try it .. first i will have to look into what the best soldering quipment is and like whats best .. first solder the two part ends and then solder them together ? use flus or no flux ??

maybe if you have some time left you could write a small piece on soldering parts ?? like the best technique and materials ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Hey Tim, Won't tell the missus, thanks for checking in my friend :)

Thanks Scott :D

Hi Joe, thanks and had the shirt on today!!

Thanks Michael, the bantam motor is looking great!

Jake, Appreciate the comment.

Thanks Dale !

Hi Joe, thank you and get back to work on the pickup!

Hey Scott, Good luck building the model room!

Hi Art, Thanks buddy and yes , will be using my Pro-Tech parts soon! Actually the brake fluid cans are Charlie's coil fittings.

Chris, Thanks for the kind words my friend!

Hello Richard, Will post some links for you about the soldering, much better than I could explain it :)

Thank you JC, Those were fun to build and only two more to go !

Hi Tom, Sorry I missed you , we will have to get together next year and swap ideas!

Daniel, Appreciate it and you better post that F88 build!

Thank you Mark, enjoyed meeting you and seeing your Super 7 !

Have not done much since returning from GSL but finally got down to the bench.

Small progress but lots of pics.

Making up the GT40 pedal box.

Reference drawing from the parts catalog.....

001_zps9bcq3v4w.jpg

009_zpshswrnfr1.jpg

016_zpsszio0ehb.jpg

018_zpsan4roill.jpg

024_zpsl21n1jsq.jpg

more....

Edited by Randy D

parts for the parking brake linkage that is attached to the brake pedal...

IMG_1341_zpsroczvkqe.jpg

IMG_1384_zpsponau13j.jpg

IMG_1379_zpsid8aukle.jpg

The GT40 did not have ajustable seats, the pedal box was moveable. The brackets on the top of the pedal box are fixed to the top of the tub...

IMG_1405_zpseduy4fma.jpg

IMG_1399_zpst3kmfjus.jpg

IMG_1404_zps2wxbqq3d.jpg

Now I need to fit this into the tub !!

Thanks for looking in !

Randy

Randy,

That beautiful pedal assembly is a masterpiece and work of art ALL by itself, there simply not a single word of praise to say about this superb work.....so....I will use several....magnificent,wonderful,supreme,fantastic,incredible,superb, masterpiece....yes I already used the last two words previusly....but this work deserve it..many times!!!!!

Thank you for another tour of force on the art of miniature metal fabrication, I belived that your other superb work, the rod tow truck could not have a challenger in intricate detail,concept,presentation and fabrication....ohhhhh...I was sooooooooo mistaken!!!!!

Randy, this unit is just a thrill to look at! I try to figure out how it's even possible to do but just give up and say it's magic. Really, really sweet modeling there, along with the rest of car as well. Magnificent.

I think we all enjoy having a peek not even understanding how it's done.

Thanks for taking the time and showing us your skills.

Michael

Must be something in the air in Colorado...........

In this case, THC stands for Tiny Handmade Contraption. This alone puts it in the running for a Best Interior nod.

Glad to see you back on it my friend. Don't get any flux on that shirt !!!!!!!!

Edited by Nitrozilla

N-I-C-E Randy! That is just about the wildest thing I've seen on the forum to date. I HAD some ideas for the pedals on the Henry but they seem downright juvenile compared to what you've achieved here. :wub: Just superb. Cheers, Tim