Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:The GT40 project New pics 2/13/17

Randy D

Very nice work, indeed! Holman/Moody now owns the rights to the GT-40 program. Ford Racing sold the whole kaboodle to Holman/Moody. I met Lee Holman, who inherited the company from his father, John Holman.

When Lee walked into the facility in NC, he found several shipping containers that contained engines, body parts, body bucks and 50 frames complete with VIN #'s for 1968. Lee has been building continuation GT-40's for some time now. Since they all have VIN numbers assigned in 1968, he is required to build them to "at least" 1968 specs. You too can own one for a mere $1 million to start.

While Lee chases after every company that is selling a a GT-40 for a profit, as a hobbyist...you may do well to contact him and he just might help you with anything you need.

Lee in the vest on left, me on the right and Lee's gt-40 in the foreground that he currently runs in Historic races. Behind Lee under cover is a GT-40 being built for Tim...ah, well...it was code named "Toolman".

medium.jpg

Here's some more pictures of the car above and another in for maintenance

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I hope Lee didn't really tell you that. I know Lee and I know the true story. Ford did not "sell" or "give" the GT40 program to Holman. And the tubs (not 50 units) are later build tubs from Tennant. Lee is doing a nice MK II but he holds no rights to the design or name, Safir GT40 Spares owns both. There were no VINS assigned to those tubs. And the "toolman" GT pictured is a Superformance MK I.

More importantly is YES, NICE!!! I had thought about doing a brass tub in a large scale, making a buck to hammer the roof panel over, etc. Then I sobered up and realized I don't have the skills or patience to do justice to such a project.

Keep the pictures coming!

Here are some tub under construction pictures of the 1/1 unit.

post-14937-0-42733200-1420291284_thumb.j

Hi Randy,

I couldn't find my first response to your wonderful brass soldering GT40 project---Randy. your work is a real Masterpiece. I love that one image with the Hot Rod wrecker off to the side. It looks like a life-size garage. Thanks again for all the help that you've given me in the past.

Much continued success with this project,

Ron

Hi Folks,

Bill R. , For soldering I use mainly a small pencil iron from Radio Shack and I have a small butane torch for laminaiting sheets together.

Hi Bruce, Thanks !, no watch maker here but am a long time 1/87th train guy so this thing seems huge to me :)

Hey Tim, Glad you like it ! {scale weld beads, really ??? you're killing me :D } the henry J is awesome !

Hi JC, Thank you sir, bolts from rbmotion and turnbuckles are a Grantline HO scale item from Caboose Hobbies, will get you a link when I get a chance.

Thanks Rick M.

Hello Brizio, Appreciate the kind words !

Hi Ron, Yeah, lost some stuff from this thread during the sever switch. Thanks for following along, need to see an update from you on that scratch built motor !!

Hello Richard, Thanks my friend, I get stuck I'm sending it to your garage for some work :)

Thanks Scott, no it is 1/24th

Thank you Cesar !!

some progress...

Building up some brackets and the engine bulkhead..

011_zps716a725d.jpg

018_zps80f93fa9.jpg

032_zps9fec989c.jpg

026_zps42b75ca6.jpg

more...

Hi Folks,

Thanks Scott & Bob !!!

Hey Tim, Thank you my friend .

Joe, Appreciate the kind words !

Thank you Kevin.

Thanks Ira !!!!

Sonny, Glad you like it.

Hi Art, Thanks for checking in, 'bout time for an update on your build? :D:D

Thank you Richard !!!!

Hi Chris, Slowly but surely :)

update.

Still building up the 'tub' ....

008_zpsbocfsbe0.jpg

017_zpsyr6sxkpt.jpg

019_zpsg52dm526.jpg

more......

Now starting to build up the front suspension, the coil overs are from rbmotion and they function. They are a good likeness to the Koni's used on the 1:1

Thanks for looking in !!!

Randy

How are you doing the uprights and spindles? Castings?

Lookin' good.......It looks just like I do it in my dreams!