Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:The GT40 project New pics 2/13/17

Randy D

John, I think Randy and Codi make those miniature womans windup wrist watches from the 50's and 60's and hand fab All the parts. They build the cars to relax their eyes............

Edited by Crazy Ed

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

Thanks J.C.!

Hi Tim, Glad you liked it!

Bruce,  Thanks buddy!

Gary, I'm humbled sir.

Dale,   I don't think it helped, just managed some different things:D

Ed,  Thank you:)

Hi Tony,  Thanks for the comment!

Austin,  thanks for following along.

Thanks Dave!

Richard, thank you my friend!

Lets call this carburetor day...

Some reference pics...

This Gulf car ran with four  48id Webers on a tray.  Cable operated linkage.

Ordered a set of  TDR 3D printed carbs from the Shapeways site. The following pic shows a carb with trumpets from MFH.

Making up some brackets from a piece of white metal.  I made one fat one then cut it in half....

more on the following post.....

I went with the 3d carbs because they are hollow and I thought it would be cool to have working linkage that  opened the butterflies.  These carbs look okay in these pics but in person they do not.  I have cleaned them up as best I can but they have too many delicate details that are rife with ridges.  Going to order some carbs from HRM after seeing them in one of JC's  Cobra builds. Will see where I stand when those come in.

Thanks for looking in!

Randy

Randy, This is without a doubt one of my favorite builds on the forum.  Love the subject and to have someone of your abilities tackling it Randy, well, lets just say it doesn't get any better does it.  (rhetorical)  That is some time consuming, patience testing linkage assembly but you've pulled it off magnificently.  I too have a set of the HRM carbs and can attest to their quality.  Haven't used them yet, but you'll be pleased I think even though I've not seen the Shapeway's pieces.  Cheers, tim

Randy, 

Those carb linkages are stunning, along with everything else of course!  I guess if you are going to make the gaskets to mount the carbs, then getting them right is exactly what you should do.  Working butterflies eh!  Heck yes man go for it.  More stunning work!

I went with the 3d carbs because they are hollow and I thought it would be cool to have working linkage that  opened the butterflies.  These carbs look okay in these pics but in person they do not.  I have cleaned them up as best I can but they have too many delicate details that are rife with ridges.  Going to order some carbs from HRM after seeing them in one of JC's  Cobra builds. Will see where I stand when those come in.

Thanks for looking in!

Randy

Pete covered your Parts. I was going to ask if you might be able to take a Close Up of the 3D Webers but your "Q.A." covered my area of interest. Guess 3D's got a way to go to meet 1/24 scale needs. Time to send HRM a few bucks for a Catalog.

Randy.... Are you for real brother.... Hot diggity dog... those carbs and linkagw set up are just amazing. I am truly blown away by your abilities and attention to detail. You amd Tim have to be some of the best with the small parts you guys are doing on your builds. I Thought I was doing a few cool parts on my funny car but to see what you guys have done in a smaller scale makes my stuff look like junk :lol:. Keep up the great work.

Very nice work.  What kind of soldering tools are you using?

I was fortunate  enough to see the GT40s and Daytona coupes running at Sebring in the 60's.  Pretty indescribable racing in that time period, which was also the heyday of the Ferrari front engine sports racers and the GTO/SWB Berlinetta cars and many others.