Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:The GT40 project New pics 2/13/17

Randy D

Hi Folks,

Goat Guy,  Glad you like it:)

Thanks Scott !!!

Ed,   What do you mean OIL LEAKS????  I tightened every single bolt!!!!!!

Hi Bruce,  Thank you and I love the pickups:)

Tim,  Thank you my friend and thanks for the 'plug' on your henry build in the drag section:D You are one of the builders on this site that inspires me to do that extra bit to try to make each piece the best I can. Thanks for the push!

Hi Dave,  Thank you for commenting!

Hi John,  Thanks buddy!

Chris,  Appreciate the support as always, see you soon!

Bill,  Sorry to disappoint my friend, got to work on that:P

Richard,  thank you brother!

Update for tonite....

Starting on building the  'trans axle hoop' .   This is the key element to the back end of the chassis as everything hangs off of it. The bell housing and trans axle bolt to it and all the suspension is attached to it along with the frame work for the rear clip.

The 1:1  hoop is made up of steel stampings then welded into the sheet metal making up the rear of the 'tub'.  Some ref. pics....

This is a great shot of all the suspension components  hanging off the hoop.

The plan is to build the hoop as a stand alone piece then solder it to the flat chassis pan.  Then bolt in the drivetrain and suspension.  I can then double check wheelbase, track, engine clearance and rear clip fit. Then un bolt everything and  finish with soldering up all the sheet metal to it.

using 1/8th solid stock ...

That is all for now,

Thanks for looking in!

Randy

Randy, Scale Motorsport just released its new 3D printed wheel sets that come with aluminum trim rings. One of the first designs is an American Torque Thrust Wheel similar, but not identical to the wheels needed for your GT40. We want to expand on our American Torque Thrust Wheel line and I think creating a deep dish rear with 3D printed wheel centers identical to the ones you need for the GT40 would be an easy execution for Scale Motorsport. If you are willing to send me a sample to study (I'll send it back to you) we could do the engineering, execute the 3D printed parts and have the aluminum deep dish details executed in large quantities so others could have this cool wheel package. What do you think? I'd like to hear from others as well if they would like to have a set of these beautiful wheels, please respond in this conversation or email me directly:

matthew@scalemotorsport.com

Thanks for such a fabulous build Randy I sure hope to see this on the contest tables in the not too distant future! 

Matthew

Edited by Matthew

Hi Matthew,   You give me too much credit,  I did not make the wheels and do not own the copyright.  They are from  "Lemans Miniatures" a French Company.

I wish you luck on your project and I am sorry I can't help you out:)

Randy  

I hope you don't mind if I take a pass on commenting concerning this update.

When I saw the first few pics of the initial shape, I hit the floor, and yes, I WAS sitting down. I managed to reach up and scroll to picture number 5.

When I woke up, although I really didn't have the strength or presence of mind to get to the last picture, it magically appeared and now I can't reach the key

bo

ar

d......

..........

Randy:

But you do have the LeMans Miniature wheel set correct?

Matthew

The discontinued Thunder Valley trans-kit included the best BRM GT40 wheels (and tires) I've seen.  The set on the left.

photo4-vi.jpg

The 1:1 wheels.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8630&stc=1&d

Edited by afx

This is the second most amazing model I have seen next to the working scale Ferrari 312 built about 15 years ago. Outstanding work!! I would love to see you build a Ferrari F40!

Edited by SWAGON

Hi Folks,

Hey Chris,  Darn time is just flying by! Can't believe DSC is here.

Bill,  As always, thank you for commenting:)

Hi John,  Thanks buddy, see you soon

Hi Pete,  You are too kind my friend:D

Hi Tony,  Good to have you on board!

Richard,  I am trying to put as much detail into this as I can.   The Gulf GT40 is my all time favorite GT sports car. I was a very impressionable 10 year old when Ford scored the first of their 4 straight wins at Le Mans and I tried to follow the story as close as I could  thru '69.  These cars were not overly complex so hopefully I can render a suitable facsimile:D

Hi Tim,   Thank you checking in and glad you are liking this!

Bruce,  Appreciate the support!

Tom,  Welcome and this one gets  paint!  I have another project that I'm building that will stay in natural metal.

Joe,  You be careful there:D

Thanks Art!!!

Thanks Brandon, I will leave the F40 to you!  Your build in the Big Boy section is going to be amazing.

Working on the various components of the rear suspension.  Ref. pics...

Rear upright....

Lower wishbone.....

trailing arm clevis....

As posted before,  this is what I'm aiming for...

Building up the wishbones...

More following this....

Next are the uprights....

IMG_2923_zpsh6d7okty.jpg

IMG_2933_zpsul49glzf.jpg

IMG_2964_zpszu3zo0ze.jpg

IMG_2986_zpssqmmubo9.jpg

The clevis for the trailing arms...

IMG_2975_zpsqf13zcjx.jpg

A pic of the parts for one side.....

IMG_2996_zpso9spnliq.jpg

Some pics of progress to date.....

IMG_3018_zpsdryroguy.jpg

IMG_3016_zpsntma4kog.jpg

IMG_3015_zpsc53zmqnl.jpg

IMG_3006_zpspw5swyo4.jpg

IMG_2999_zpsbbvuifmx.jpg

That is all for now,  still need to make the anti-sway bar and linkage. Need to do the lower shock brackets. Then it will be time for the brakes.

Thanks for looking !

Randy

Edited by Randy D

Hey there Randy....I just read this thread from the beginning and you have really kicked the building JUICES into another gear...for me anyway. Your work and craftsmanship is TOP SHELF. I really have enjoyed going through this thread. I'll be checking back in...that's for sure.