Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 Corvette Grand Sport (Conversion)

ismaelg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I've been very busy lately so little workbench time. This was going GREAT. Keyword was.  After the color coats, I applied 2K clear.  Came out a little rough in some areas. Sanded it and rubbed thru in some areas.  So I sanded the body smooth and applied a final color coat. It looked perfect... until it started crazing in a corner and part of the hood.  So I had to sand it down to the first primer coat. Decided to play it safe and sanded the whole car down. Here we go again.  White primer applied.

2v2JMtpZgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2JMtpKnxJ21ND.jpg

Everybody raves about 2K clear but my experience with it has been less than stellar and inconsistent.  Could be user error but I may go back to the good old lacquer clear and elbow grease.

Thanks,

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Sorry I disappeared for about a year.  I've been very busy with family, work and other hobbies.

After over a year, here we go again.  First mist coats of Carlisle blue.  Yes, I'm stubborn.  :)

2v2HaZsNCxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HaZPULxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Back from the dead, after been painted a second time, it was cleared with good old single stage clear. To hell with 2K. Don't care for it and I don't want to see it again.
Scalefinishes 500 series single stage clear. Mist, medium and wet coats.  Now let it rest for a few years before polishing.  

2v2HTDciFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HTDc4yxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HTDcDdxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

6 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Hello,

Back from the dead, after been painted a second time, it was cleared with good old single stage clear. To hell with 2K. Don't care for it and I don't want to see it again.
Scalefinishes 500 series single stage clear. Mist, medium and wet coats.  Now let it rest for a few years before polishing.  

2v2HTDciFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HTDc4yxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HTDcDdxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

LOVE it!!!....never liked that 2k stuff myself, theres other easier ways to get a great gloss without worring about an expiration date, or proper mixture...Its too flaming fussy.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Looking at stalled projects...  
Geez! When I said "I'll let it rest for a few years before polishing"  That was meant to be a joke! But it came true.

So this came back from the dead. Started polishing.  As mentioned before, this is the strongest metallic content paint I've ever used.  It has such a strong metallic content it seems reflections are hard to come by.  It behaves like a pearl paint or something.  Kind of weird.
Started carefully with the polishing pads from 3200 to 12000.
2v2eehPbNxJ21ND.jpg

And the roof was polished all the way in with Meguiars 9, 7 and BMPP plus elbow grease.
2v2eehPKrxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• ismaelg changed the title to 2012 Corvette Grand Sport (Conversion)

Hello,

This project was started almost a decade ago. Up until last week, the plan was always to paint the interior all black to conceal and forget about it.

Yeah right...  

2v2eZfdrgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eZfd8GxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eZfdMTxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eZfdzSxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eZfyoVxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eZfy2hxJ21ND.jpg

And a quick crappy video

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 1

Hello,

Brakes are as important as the engine in a sports car.  The "GO" power needs an equally effective "WOOHAA"  response  

All you see here is paper:

1. Paper disk of the appropriate size
2. Paint it silver
3. Added the cross drilled marks with a mechanical pencil and lots of patience
4. I cut 3 paper parts to hopefully resemble a caliper when stacked up.
5. Glue them together and paint 
6. I printed CORVETTE caliper logos. I'll try to trim and use here once everything is complete. 

2v2eZSTVLxJ21ND.jpg

This is not a new idea. I did this before on my 2016 Viper GTS, finished in 2020.  Now I'm building on top of that experience and making it a bit more complex. 
2v2HQn11GxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 3

Hello,

Entering the home stretch! Still pending wheels, tires, brakes, mirrors, front grille, headlight covers(those will be a challenge), a few other details and a final checkup.  This is probably the last update before completion.

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 1