Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

woo-hoo Joe! the 180 version. mine was rated at a whopping 220! :D

i did chuck a crane compu-cam & jet chip in it, prob bumped it to 250ish, almost 20 yrs later, prob down to 180 again...lol

cant really complain too much about tbi i guess, put a rebuild kit in it 8 or 9 yrs ago & thats all i have ever done to it. there's a guy on my truck forum who has dropped an 8.1 into his '77K10, & another 8.1 into his 80 something suburban, for less than the cost of a LS swap (which he did to his buddy's blazer) awesome power & looks totally factory

do have my eye on a '92 3/4 ext-cab for sale with only 142 000kms, big prob is there's a 10 foot camper THAT has to go with the truck (already got a camper) 

Lol, in the Forza games, they started offering an '84 GMC Vandura as a download for 4 and Horizon (not sure if 5, 6,of H2 has them) and the according to the game specs, the van has a whopping 160hp from it's 5.7l SBC.  A young friend of mine (should now be 22 or 23) said to me "How did they get so little power from a 350 Chevy?!"  all I could say is "Welcome to the 1980's!":lol:

Also knew another young guy who managed to get his hands on a Chrysler Conquest (Mistubishi Starion 2.6l Turbo) and needed to replace the O2 sensor, and somehow found a parts house that still had a bunch of them on hand.  He was telling me with a slight touch of confused amazement that is used only 1 wire for that sensor........I just laughed and told him "Welcome to mid 80's electronics!" and explained to him that one of my Turbo Mopars (both with real Chrysler engines) had the same single wire set up and the other had been upgraded to a 2 wire set up, kinda afraid to see how many wires there are on my 200's O2 sensors.

Yesterday I got a really great license plate for my collection.It is a 5" x 8" porcelin  1908 plate issued by the city of Columbus,Ohio.Only a handful of cities were doing this as the the state of Ohio did not require plates at that point.The plate is in exceptional condition considering that is 108 years old.

Okay, technically I only ordered them today, but I can't wait to tell someone...I just placed the order for a set of these in 17x7 for my '73 Apollo.

americanracing_vn5015_17x8-1512-039-00-1

I'm typically not a fan of the Magnum 500 wheels, but I do think those might look on cars like my Chrysler 200 and moreso, it's sibling, the Dodge Avenger.

thanks ! yes I can tell by the name. I my younger days I owned a 63 grand prix and a 70 judge RAIV

A '70 GTO Judge RA IV:wub:...now you're killing me! That's my dream car. I did have a '72 LeMans at one time with the Endura option. Anyway, I got the GP's, T/A, and Challenger at Wally World in case you were wondering.

Edited by The70judgeman

I just got back with a new toy: a 2016 Martin D28 John Lennon guitar.  This is not the 75th anniversary edition but the follow up series.  It has the Vintage Tone System which makes a new guitar sounds like a vintage one.  This one is aged to sound like one from 1965, the year that Martin gave guitars to Lennon, McCartney and Harrison.  It just booms right out of the box (it just arrived this morning and I watched the guy take the guitar and case out of the shipping carton).  I was the first person not at the factory who touched it. What a thrill!

Bought a Holley 2300 series 350CFM carb with a center-hung float. The plan is to fab a manifold to run the thing on my '74 Porsche 911S Targa. The CIS fuel injection is packed up, and though I kinda like CIS, rebuilding it can be tricky (as there's not good parts support for internal CIS parts). Fabbing a Q&D plenum manifold and runners will at least get me running again fairly soon...without having to get into the CIS black magic...so I can start sorting out everything ELSE that's wrong with the poor old girl from sitting the past 10 years.

Once she's sorted, she'll get two 3-barrel Webers, but that $3000 isn't in the budget until the rest of the car is close to 100% functional.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I scored a factory rear wing (which I like and had been looking for used,BTW) from a friend for my '05 Mazda 3 daily driver...for free :D The rear wing was the only option mine didn't roll off the assembly line with (unfortunately,that means it's also an automatic,and not a Speed3 :P ). Here's a pic (see,no wing,LOL),I'll prep,paint and clear it this week probably,and get it installed..........sometime or another :lol:

Cool! We have a red '95 Celica Convertible and it also lacked the rear spoiler.  My daughter got into an accident, she got t-boned on the drivers door.  I found a red parts car for the door and front fender we needed and it had the spoiler!  That one was as easy as swapping the trunk lids.

Cool! We have a red '95 Celica Convertible ...

Yo, Tom. I have an '89 Celica convertible I'll be putting back on the road in a couple weeks, soon as she gets a new top, water pump, timing belt and front crank seal. Need another one for your collection? Black car, black top, gray interior, auto trans. :D

Yo, Tom. I have an '89 Celica convertible I'll be putting back on the road in a couple weeks, soon as she gets a new top, water pump, timing belt and front crank seal. Need another one for your collection? Black car, black top, gray interior, auto trans. :D

DSC00005

Old photos from when we still had NJ plates, but you get the idea...  and one is enough!

DSC00009

IMG 2721

Same photo after Hurricane Sandy.  All those buildings were later demolished.

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 2 weeks later...

While not nearly as dramatic as a new car (I certainly can't afford one anyway), I have been slowly acquiring all of the individual components for a new PC that I'm building, the latest part to arrive being this direct contact CPU cooler.

CM%20Hyper%202_zpssg0ttoj6.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Cool! We have a red '95 Celica Convertible and it also lacked the rear spoiler.  My daughter got into an accident, she got t-boned on the drivers door.  I found a red parts car for the door and front fender we needed and it had the spoiler!  That one was as easy as swapping the trunk lids.

That DOES make it simpler,LOL! Cool beans,my friend. LOVE those mid 90's Celicas! We've never had the pleasure of owning one ourselves,but did have a friend who had one (looks really similar to the one in the pic above this reply,but not as nice) who had one and would let me drive it some (he hated to drive,so when we'd be out for pizza or something on get togethers,he'd shotgun,I'd drive,LOL!).

Well,today we got what hopefully will eventually turn into a small business that we can work and live off of (we've talked about this for years,never wanted to go in debt to try it out,and found ourselves with a little $ we normally don't have this time of year...)....2 decent used vehicles on the cheap to resell,a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4x4 (that looks good inside and out,strong engine,4wd works good--we tested it),and a low-ish miles 2 owner 2002 Chevy Malibu LT with the V6. Our philosophy in life in general is "be honest even if it hurts,be fair,and don't be afraid to burn some elbow grease",so that's how we'll be doing the selling of used cars. "On the side for extra $" for now,hopefully as a primary income in a few years so she can "retire" from outside work :) Left tham at my pop's house (he has the perfect location for selling used rides,and is where I've sold my own when not trading in over the years),but will be heading down there tomorrow to go through em both,and detail em,barring stormy weather anyhow,and try to remember to shoot some pics to post. Wish us luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

I actually got this 10-12 days ago,but i twas in the shop for minor charging repairs (new stator,regulator,and I had em throw a new battery and front tire on as well),took possession (as in,out of the shop) Saturday and have been riding about 100 miles per day (average) + or - 25 since,LOL! 2002 Honda Shadow 600VLX. Vance & Hines pipes (LOUD :D),otherwise all stock :)