Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

On 2/28/2018 at 4:05 PM, unclescott58 said:

Today I got Micro-Trains Weyerhaeuser Logging Train. My father worked for Weyerhaeuser when I was growing up, so I had to buy it.   

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

Very cool Scott.  Did I read the box correctly that the set is "N" scale? 

My dad worked for Santa Fe and is big into HO.

8 hours ago, Jim N said:

Very cool Scott.  Did I read the box correctly that the set is "N" scale? 

My dad worked for Santa Fe and is big into HO.

Yep. It's "N" scale. I don't have room for anything larger. By the way, I'm big into passenger trains. I also have two different complete N scale Great Northern Empire Builder sets. One Kato. And one Con-Cor. My next goal is to complete a Santa Fe passenger set. I have several cars already. But, not a complete consist as of yet. I also have several pieces of mainly Great Northern and Santa Fe freight equipment. I love those two old flags. 

Edited by unclescott58

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 3:00 AM, XJ6 said:

That is Really Nice.....

Man that Cushman is a rarity!  Fantastic.

Back in the mid 50's, a ride on cousin's Cushman scooter was my 1st taste of scooter fun....still at it today as a matter of fact.  New carb installed and running fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved a ring light for my camera for macro photos of models and sub-assemblies. Also got a wide angle/macro lens for the same. Unfortunately there are some problems that will complicate picture taking but I won't go into that now.

Wednesday I will be getting a package of filters for our vacuum cleaner and a new tripod for my camera (another situation I won't go into now).

Robert

12 hours ago, Ro3bert said:

Recieved a ring light for my camera for macro photos of models and sub-assemblies. Also got a wide angle/macro lens for the same. Unfortunately there are some problems that will complicate picture taking but I won't go into that now.

Wednesday I will be getting a package of filters for our vacuum cleaner and a new tripod for my camera (another situation I won't go into now).

Robert

I didn't like my ring light for model photos. I felt it didn't provide complete coverage.

I took a few insect shots that came out nice though.

11 hours ago, Xingu said:

I didn't like my ring light for model photos. I felt it didn't provide complete coverage.

I took a few insect shots that came out nice though.

I tried them both out. The ring light seems to do nicely, no shadows or reflections. The macro lens looks like it will do well however I can't use them together as only one at a time can be screwed onto the lens and Neewer (the macro lens compnay) doesn't make adaptors that will allow the ring light to go onto the macro lens. Bummer.

As soon as I can I'll post images made with the macro lens. There is much to learn here, I want to stop down to f16 or smaller but that means the exposure time is elongated. So far that has put the kabash on the image taking. However, tomorrow (May 2) I should be getting a new tripod so that should allow long exposures.

Robert

10 minutes ago, dieseldawg142 said:

my 1:1 crew was scheduled for paint and bodywork next month...had to stop at my painters and put it off a couple more months till  july or aug.....dipped into my truck paint fund today.

What colour are you going to do it? 

I got anothe parts tranaxle today and will be picking up a hole mower sometime this week.

5aef2aaedb501_franklinnumber1.jpg.3f167cff044e0ac63a783ef7bf2702be.jpg5aef2aced4127_Scott2cover.jpg.4a3caae38e8c9e8666b9665157aa3992.jpg

Harry would've enjoyed this..  we used to talk stamps. 

Bucket list items.  These are the first two US stamps issued in 1847.  Back then the cost of mailing was calculated by zones.  On the first one, mailed within Massachusetts, that was one zone for five cents.  The second one was St Louis to Boston, which was two zones for ten cents.  I decided that it was more interesting to have these on envelope,  or "on cover" as we collectors call it.  I justified the first one because I had a eBay gift certificate I earned with credit card points.  I was admiring the second one and my wife said to get it as my birthday present.  So I wasn't passing that opportunity.

And as far as the most expensive model kit I ever bought... these beat that by a wide margin!