Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

On 3/23/2019 at 11:39 AM, landman said:

A new combination square. The level bubble was long gone and now the adjustment nut split in half. Things don't last anymore. It was only about 40 years old.

IMG_8654.jpg

Atleast there metal. Hardpressed to find anything but plastic nowadays

• 2 weeks later...

Just got some semi metallic brake pads from R1 Concepts for the 200 in today, the little guys up front are the stock sized replacements for the back while those enormous ones behind them are fronts for when I get the LX car hoses and 2 piston calipers in so we can upgrade the front brakes to what is basicly the SRT4 Caliber front brakes. I already have the Euro only front caliper brackets and new front rotors from R1 that are 13.39" dia vs the factory 11.57".

20190409_220033_zps5cem33n0.jpg

The calipers are the stock replacements on my Sister's Challenger R/T Classic and compared to the stock single piston Avenger/Sebring/200 calipers, are huge!

Two great additions to my reading library. Haynes also has one on Apollo 11, that they are putting out as a 50 Anniversary version. So I have that on preorder. I'm about half way through the Gemini book. I like it a lot. I've purchased several of these Haynes "Owners' Workshop Manuals" in recent years. I also have the ones for the Starship Enterprise, RMS Titanic, Ferrari 250 GTOs, and Ford GTs. I like them all a lot. I think I'll be be purchasing their manual on the X-15 spaceplane next. 

IMG_3452.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

I got a few more books in today's mail. 1. Howard's Golden Age, by, Art Hall. A book about Benny Howard & His BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Good Airplanes. 2. Haynes' NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration), Operations Manual. And 3. Haynes' North American X-15 Owner's Workshop Manual. 

I'm hoping to find out through Art Hall's book, of why Benny Howard named his DGA-6 airplane Mr. Mulligan. All of the other reseach I've done. Whether in other books or on-line can not give me a reason behind that name. A quick at Mr. Hall's book makes me wonder if it's mentioned in there or not? I sure hope so. 

IMG_3455.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

21 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I got a few more books in today's mail. 1. Howard's Golden Age, by, Art Hall. A book Benny Howard & His BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Good Airplanes. 2. Haynes' NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration), Operations Manual. And 3. Haynes' North American X-15 Owner's Workshop Manual. 

I'm hoping to find out through Art Hall's book, of why Benny Howard named his DGA-6 airplane Mr. Mulligan. All of the other reseach I've done. Whether in other books or on-line can not give me a reason behind that name. A quick at Mr. Hall's book makes me wonder if it's mentioned in there or not? I sure hope so. 

IMG_3455.JPG

Bad news. There is nothing in the book Howard's Golden Age telling why Benny Howard name his DGA-6 airplane "Mr. Mulligan." The only thing the book tells us about this early on, is that Benny Howard liked to give things nicknames. Including his wife Maxine, whom he called "Mike." And she was inspiration for giving the plane DGA-4 its nickname of "Mike." We then do find out that DGA-5, an almost identical plane to DGA-4 was given the name "Ike." Because it rhymes with Mike. But as to why DGA-3 was called "Pete," and DGA-6 "Mr. Mulligan," there is no real clear answer in this book, or any other source I've found so far. 

Kind of a shame the book does not clear this up. "Mr. Mulligan" and "Pete" are both pretty good names. It maybe just one of those lost to history. 

Belonged to one of the guys in a rock band my son's were in back in High School and after.

The Bass player and had this and a Bass head and cab. When they broke up he enlisted in the Air Force and has been in now over 10 years.

I found it in a box where we had stuff packed away from when we moved from a house to and apartment.

I contacted him and he asked if it still worked. It has a couple bad (weak) tubes. and a couple bad pots.

He told me to just keep it!

002.JPG

Finally tracked down this book for a reasonable price, "Surplus WWII U.S. Aircraft" by William T. Larkins.  It went out of print a couple years ago, and prices went sky-high at the Usual Suspects like eBay and Amazon.  I found my copy through one of Abe Books' vendors.  Softcover, 209 pages of mostly photos.

Larkins started photographing aircraft in 1934.  Right after WWII, when the boneyards were full of often brand-new aircraft flown straight from the factories, he traveled around and photographed many of the yards.

It's amazing to see an airfield parked wing-to-wing with obscure aircraft like the Consolidated B-32 Dominator bomber. The B-32 was the back-up plan in case the B-29 failed, which it nearly did; the B-29 cost about $3 billion to develop, or about a billion dollars more than the atomic bombs it dropped over Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Along with the photos the book has some great old advertisements for surplus aircraft.  Trainers like the Stearman were really dirt cheap. 

Since Larkins was shooting photos on govt. property, he couldn't always go where he wanted.  The cover photo of him with his camera is cropped from a larger pic in the book; Larkins is shooting outside a fence, standing on the roof of his 1932 Ford Model B coupe (with steel rear wheels and wire fronts).

surplus.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

5 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

How is it to drive with a chain steering wheel? They look like they would be uncomfortable and a little hard to grip under certain circumstances? 

I haven’t driven with it on anything yet but it is a little uncomfortable to hold on to. I bought it to go on one of my lawnmowers. 

CF2AA38D-E88D-4B33-B95C-3E66FFB1C884.jpeg

Finally broke down and bought a reasonable OBD I / OBD II scanner to keep at home. Newest thing I own is 2005, but it's nice to be able to talk to some of the older ones when they're not feeling well. The '05 seems to be becoming a hypochondriac, and she's convinced she needs a cam-position sensor...even though she runs fine. Then one day, she just won't start. Clear the codes, she's good for another coupla weeks. Works well with my motto of "never fix anything today that can possibly be put off until it's really inconvenient or an emergency". The '86 Jag, '89 Yotota and the '92 Chebby truck need some love and understanding too. I'm not sure this thing can interpret Jagspeak, but it will work on the others.

My 10-YO Bose noise cancelling headphones died this week (the metal headband broke, they still worked perfectly acoustically) so I stopped by the Bose store on the way home. They couldn't fix them (or so they claimed), but let me "upgrade" them for a brand new, improved model for $135. Not a bad deal, I guess. I wear them all day at work, and while mowing the lawn, so I DO get the use out of the things. 

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

My 10-YO Bose noise cancelling headphones died this week (the metal headband broke, they still worked perfectly acoustically) so I stopped by the Bose store on the way home. They couldn't fix them (or so they claimed), but let me "upgrade" them for a brand new, improved model for $135. Not a bad deal, I guess. I wear them all day at work, and while mowing the lawn, so I DO get the use out of the things. 

I’m not sure how much new ones would cost but they seem to stand behind their products Snake. 

9 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I’m not sure how much new ones would cost but they seem to stand behind their products Snake. 

My very first headphones were Koss K6-LCs, bought at the BX at Lackland AFB in 1973, for about $30, which was a pretty good discount, and which would equal about $182 today. They didn't sound as good as the Bose, they didn't have noise cancelling, and they didn't last anywhere near ten years (wires kept breaking), so the Bose upgrade at $135 seems like a bargain. 

21 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

The monolith action figure is hilarious. I'd love to have heard that pitched on Shark Tank. In fact, I'd love to have heard that pitched in the Medicom R&D meeting. 

I found another one on eBay marketed as 'Personal Desktop Monolith'...found the description pretty funny... With zero points of articulation, the Monolith is properly proportioned to those in the movies 2001 and 2010 (1:4:9 - the squares of the first 3 integers). Made of semisynthetic, organic, amorphous, solid materials (AKA plastic).

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:08 PM, unclescott58 said:

I love to read. And Stirling Moss has always been one of my favorite race car drivers. It should be a very interesting read. 

I still remember reading his 1963 biography when I was a kid, "All But My Life."  Co-written with Ken Purdy.  The saddest part was him going back on a track after the crash that broke nearly every bone in his body.  IIRC, he ran a few laps then parked the car and said something like, "No. Can't do this any more. It's all over."

Long out of print and rare today, it looks like. But you might luck out and find it at a yard sale or thrift store.

https://www.amazon.com/All-But-Life-Stirling-Moss/dp/B0007DNHT6