Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

1 hour ago, Toner283 said:

The Datsun appears to be a majorette. Little bit of research should put a date on it. With the other two who knows. If it were me I would probably put the red car up on the flat deck of the blue truck and just display them like that. That flat deck is especially neat.

I know the truck is a Processed Plastic from Aurora, Il. Yes. The Datsun is a Majorette made in France. And pink Bently? No markings.  They'll go in the cabinet. But I am running out of room now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Snagged two Toshiba Satellite laptops, an A105-S4004 with Win XP MCE, non-functioning keyboard and an allegedly bad hard drive

image.thumb.png.062b49392e5078c6bb9a43715c11a646.png

and an A105-S4384 with a cracked LCD screen and a broken DC jack.

image.thumb.png.0ff1198f2d7ed0fc43ff1ca72b396383.png

I paid $60 bucks for both. I'm partial to cheap. :D  I replaced the keyboard from a dead donor and used Darik's Boot and Nuke 1.0.7 to erase the drive on the S4004; then, using a Toshiba Recovery and Applications DVD, reset it to factory fresh condition. I installed a custom Win XP version and it functions perfectly. I replaced the broken screen and jack with the one from the donor on the S4384, nuked the HD, reloaded the factory presets and also gave this one a custom XP installation.

So here is the story.  When I was very young(in the 1950's) I got a tin toy airplane for Christmas from my Dad.  It was an incredible toy.  The crank in the top folds the wings up, just like the real deal.   I loved that toy.  I have home movies of my flying around the living room on Christmas day.  It meant a lot to me.  Unfortunately, when I was  a bit older, I got curious about how it worked.  It looked pretty easy to take apart so I did.  In short I destroyed it.  I will always remember the look of disappointment on my Dads face. 

Well, last week I got a chance to own it again.  This popped up on e-bay.  It is in near new condition.  It has been played with but very lovingly.  It wasn't cheap, but I decided to give myself a 70th birthday present.  When it came today and I held it a flood of memories came back about me and my Dad.  In the first hour, it was more than worth every penny I spent on it and then some.  

You don't get many second chances in life and if one comes your way, I suggest you jump on it.  Your life will be much richer.  

F-9-F.jpg

I just got this FPV drone to play with, The EMAX Tinyhawk RTF Micro Indoor Racing Drone with FPV Goggles and Controller for Beginners. I don't about getting into racing. Just zipping it around. I have a few other drones, mainly toy grade.n This screen image is a bit larger than actual size. It just about fits on the palm of your hand, just a little bigger.

61tpo-KJ+VL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked these up at an estate sale today. I thought the wooden trucks would be great for when my great nephew Owen came to visit. The sea gull hangs with fishing line and is weighted in the middle so it looks like it's flying. Too cool. An Ertl Pontiac car. And who remembers Lamb Chop. I couldn't see her headed for the dump so I saved her. 

lamb chop.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

A friend's bad fortune turns into some good fortune for me.

Ended up stealing this thing. Early 90s Kramer Baretta II in the somewhat rare Champagne finish.

In fantastic overall condition with no damage whatsover. 

Just needs a cleanup and a setup, which is on the cards for one evening this week. 

20191116_114258.thumb.jpg.449fe4bc85a35d731509558a42b24965.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We bought our little homestead two years ago and the wife has been pining for a horse, since. To her credit she was planning on putting it off until the farm is really running well with some cattle and a big garden to get more self suffiicient. But this little fella was too nice to pass up, at the right price. He's of undetermined parentage, likely some sort of mustang/quarterhorse mix, like most the horses here in Idaho. He's 8 months old so she has plenty of time to get him all trained before she ever tries to ride him. She named him Rascal and he's settled in real well and he's in a MUCH better situation with us, than his last home. My wife is VERY happy. 

49244039102_5a059c050a_c.jpg

Gol-lee! Sha-zam! Stopped in a local thrift store today and found the complete collection of "Gomer Pyle USMC" on DVD.  3 disks for only $5. The special features include the episode of "The Andy Griffith Show" where Gomer first joined the Marines.