Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

Butter, eggs, and ground beef were back in the store this AM when I was on the way to work (yes, even though I'm in the target demographic for the Boomer-Remover Flu, I'm still working). Bought 100 pounds of each, in keeping with the panicking horde mentality. I figure most of it will rot long before I can eat it. Just doing my part, you know?

19 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

You can never have enough ground beef, Bill. Tacos, beef stroganoff, burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, chilli, meat sauce for pasta are all important and necessary staples. :D

Yup, it's one of the Four Basic Food Groups: Ground Beef, Chips, Cookies/Cake, and Leftovers. B):lol:

This week we had boneless chicken prepared four different ways!  Today we bought chopped meat for 3 meals, chicken for 6 meals, 2 meals worth of pork chops and steak. 2 packs of hot dogs, they were out of pork roll. 

Will freeze some for now, but that’s the menu for the next 2 weeks. The new world order. 

27 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Butter, eggs, and ground beef were back in the store this AM when I was on the way to work (yes, even though I'm in the target demographic for the Boomer-Remover Flu, I'm still working). Bought 100 pounds of each, in keeping with the panicking horde mentality. I figure most of it will rot long before I can eat it. Just doing my part, you know?

Went to Walmart last Thursday, instead of waiting until Saturday. No toilet paper, though I saw a couple people coming out with it as I was walking in, so I just missed it. No eggs--not one egg of any kind! The hot dog racks were empty except for a good supply of the kind I regularly buy, so I got a couple of those. Unlike last week, they had LOTS of paper towels, but were almost out of Kleenex--I got the last two boxes. Didn't have my regular DiGrornio pizza, but oddly, they did have plenty of the "pan" kind, which I like but they almost never have, so I got two of those. 

The first day I heard about TP shortages, I also heard that there was going to be a shortage of diet sodas. This one hasn't come to pass--so far they've always have plenty. What would I do without my Diet Dr. Thunder? :unsure:

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Went to Walmart last Thursday, instead of waiting until Saturday. No toilet paper..

Yeah, all the TP's been gone since I got back from Az. on Monday. Few nights back though, I got lucky and snagged the last giant refugee-camp-sized package of the recycled paper towels I favor. They break down in water almost as fast as the real stuff, so I'm set. 

Nice thing is that they don't break down in alcohol or lacquer thinner...which is pretty much why I buy them.

I go to the bodegas around here to get a couple rolls of TP. They're loaded with all of the disappearing items. Great thing about stupid panic shoppers is that they all make a beeline to the supermarkets and clean out the shelves quicker than a pack of hyenas stripping a zebra carcass. They don't bother with the Mom & Pop shops. I go to the two Polish food markets and Italian market nearby to grab what I need food-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. The toilet paper thing started on social media. It was posted saying China made all of our toilet paper and since they were shutting down because of the virus casualties. We were running out of TP. So the shortage is from our own doing because people never fact check. We make 95 % of our toilet paper right here in the great USA.  But because all these people believed what they read. They in themselves created the shortage. Be happy you didn’t waste your money buying 70 rolls of TP. Because the people that did buy it wasted their money on tp rather than on things that were more important. Like flu meds.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/03/06/coronavirus-why-people-are-panic-buying-toilet-paper/

Edited by ewetwo

10 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Hey guys. The toilet paper thing started on social media. It was posted saying China made all of our toilet paper and since they were shutting down because of the virus casualties. We were running out of TP. So the shortage is from our own doing because people never fact check. We make 95 % of our toilet paper right here in the great USA.  But because all these people believed what they read. They in themselves created the shortage. Be happy you didn’t waste your money buying 70 rolls of TP. Because the people that did buy it wasted their money on tp rather than on things that were more important. Like flu meds.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/03/06/coronavirus-why-people-are-panic-buying-toilet-paper/

So are you telling us that recently bought so toilet paper? 

This took me about 4 1/2 hours to complete this last night. It was a lot of fun to build, and it turned out great. It fascinating to watch the steel marbles they give, run the course(s). There are two of different paths they can take at one point. Both pretty satisfying to watch. 

This seems to be one of those modern hobby kits/puzzles that are well worth the money. With modern technology and design they go together well, and give one pretty good bank for the buck. I remember the old days. When things like this would be overly complicated. Where parts would not fit well. And in the end one was lucky if they got them completed it. This went together with few problems if you took your time and followed the well illustrated instructions included. 

My first wood kit/puzzle, by Rokr, impressed me. There is another outfit out there, call UGear, that makes similar wood puzzles/kits. From what I've seen online, and on YouTube, I may have to try one of theirs next. 

IMG_3734.JPG

Oh, the other outfit is called UGears. Not UGear as I stated above. They are out of the Ukraine. Where I believe Rokr is out of China. At least that were their kits are made.

Back to UGears. Here are two of their kits/puzzles I'm considering. One is their Dream Cabriolet. A somewhat cool looking generic late 50's Cadillac like thing. The other is their Tanker Truck. That as you can see, can hold and hide a soda can. Both look pretty cool.

If you go to YouTube, there is great video showing how to build the Cabriolet. Very impressive! That kit has a lot of detail. And with many impressive working features. Also with an impressive price tag. It seems to go for around $80.00! Is it worth it? I like, and yet don't like the looks of it. It's a little too generic, toy looking for me. 

The Tanker Truck is also generic and toy like, looks wise. Somehow it's less of a problem with me in this case. There is no logic to my thinking there. It's just the way it is. Plus I like the fact it can hide a can of pop. Many people know I'm addicted to Mountain Dew. This maybe perfect for carrying that point to the next level. I know, I'm weird and illogical. I believe the truck is about the same price, as the Cabriolet?

So, which do I go with? Reading my above arguments, I'm thinking the truck. But, the Cabriolet is so cool and impressive on many levels. And the question is, do they build up as well as my Rokr marble coaster kit/puzzle did? The Rokr coaster was about half the price of the two UGears vehicles. And a lot less complicated. I feel it was a bit easier to take the risk at the price the Rokr puzzle. Then again, the UGear stuff looks like it might be worth the price being asked. 

So which do you folks out there think should be my next puzzle project? And is their anybody out there who have any experience with UGears stuff? 

IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

10 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

So are you telling us that recently bought so toilet paper? 

I’m trying to say stop buying and hoarding it and think of others Scott. My brother in law keeps buying all he can and he has over 70 rolls in his basement. There is no shortage. China does not make all our toilet paper!

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I’m trying to say stop buying and hoarding it and think of others Scott. My brother in law keeps buying all he can and he has over 70 rolls in his basement. There is no shortage. China does not make all our toilet paper!

I sorry. I guess I misunderstood what this thread was suppose to be about. I thought by the title it was about non model related things we bought. 

22 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I sorry. I guess I misunderstood what this thread was suppose to be about. I thought by the title it was about non model related things we bought. 

You are right. Sorry. But the previous comments about TP prior to mine made me think I could say something about it.

Edited by ewetwo

It is nice to have a little TP stored for unforeseen circumstances. I am starting to be a little concerned now that I can see the basement wall behind were we keep our supply. I was able to score a Charmin Wipes the other day. You're allowed only one and the humorless lady at the checkout made be put the others back on the shelf. Eggs are now available but Ice Cream is in critical shortage at this time. I like the "Golden Hour Shopping" for people in my age group, but I think they would be better to offer this at some other time in the morning then when I'm having my morning Prune breakfast.   

15 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Don't you find posts about toilet paper and other related stuff interesting?

I know I don't! Who gives a sh...! 

Edited by DonW

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rest of the parts to do the tune up on my 200, had the MSD coils and stock plugs for a couple weeks now, but I got the new Mahle gaskets earlier this week and the P.U.G. lower intake manifold showed up while I had the 200 out for fuel, a wash, and a more expensive than planned Walmart trip today.

20200411_175311.jpg

• 2 weeks later...