Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

2 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Yeah , we kinda figure this will be our last car purchase , barring an accident . We tend to keep vehicles a long time , they become part of the family .

Nothing wrong with that, at all! I've had my '98 Dodge Ram for 20 years, and the '08 for 6 years. 

Two buildable "core" engines, a 305 for my '89 GMC longbed, and a 350 for the '92 Silverado crewcab.

Both of 'em are "early" style engines, which means they don't really want to work with the existing EFI intake manifolds...which is fine.

Both vehicles are out of emission-reg compliance and I've been running the '89 on a Rochester 2GC for several years anyway, since the EFI breathed its last.

Both engines will be going together with air-gap dual-plane manifolds, small Holley 4-bbls, shorty headers, and low-end/mid-range cams... but maybe a little rumpity in the '89, 'cause she's got a manual gearbox

The 305 in the '89 is also getting backdated to V-belts...a whole helluva lot easier to fix by the side of the road, and if you lose one, the rest of the systems remain functional.

10 hours ago, cobraman said:

Congrats on the new house.

9 hours ago, bamadon said:

Congratulations and sympathies both. Did this about 3 years ago and still can't find everything. I think there are gremlins in moving trucks that go through your stuff and take out what they like.

Don

8 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Congrats... moving is a pain...my last move was a little over 3 years ago and seemed to take forever.  I still have boxes I haven't unpacked.

Thank you!  We’re doing a cross-country move too, which adds a BUNCH of headaches.  

But, we have a 500sq. ft. studio right now and we’re going to a 3 bedroom house with front and back yards, private parking spot, a POOL and a free onsite gym...for $400 a month less ?

I think rural Indiana is going to be a culture shock after decades in and around NYC - but it’s just for a year until this COVID stuff calms down and the job market gets better.  Going to be weird tho.  Never thought I’d leave the city, but I also never thought everything around us would be closed and we’d be stuck inside for 4 months either...

9 hours ago, bamadon said:

Congratulations and sympathies both. Did this about 3 years ago and still can't find everything. I think there are gremlins in moving trucks that go through your stuff and take out what they like.

Don

A few weeks after we moved into our first house we got a letter from the former owner’s moving company asking if by chance we found a box left behind... contents? Coin collection!  Gee, I would’ve noticed that! Um no, your crooked crew took that box!

A few weeks after that the former owner got my phone number and called, demanding I return his coin collection. A few terse sentences exchanged and I wound up hanging up on him. Made me wish I had his friggin coins!

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

A few weeks after we moved into our first house we got a letter from the former owner’s moving company asking if by chance we found a box left behind... contents? Coin collection!  Gee, I would’ve noticed that! Um no, your crooked crew took that box!

A few weeks after that the former owner got my phone number and called, demanding I return his coin collection. A few terse sentences exchanged and I wound up hanging up on him. Made me wish I had his friggin coins!

If I were moving a valuable coin collection, it would have gone in the trunk of the car with me, not in with the rest of the junk to be moved. If that weren't possible for some reason, I'd have made the head of the moving crew sign a receipt for it, letting him know that you'd be holding him personally responsible for its delivery. 

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If I were moving a valuable coin collection, it would have gone in the trunk of the car with me, not in with the rest of the junk to be moved. If that weren't possible for some reason, I'd have made the head of the moving crew sign a receipt for it, letting him know that you'd be holding him personally responsible for its delivery. 

I agree!  NONE of our valuables are going with our movers...including my kit collection ??

16 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I agree!  NONE of our valuables are going with our movers...including my kit collection ??

Yeah, when I moved 2100 miles 3 years ago, the dogs went with me in my Jeep.   My kit collection went boxed up in moving boxes packed by me into one Pod shipping container, arrived in fine shape. 

'Bout a grand's worth of AN fittings, hose, annealed stainless hard line, and hardware...mostly to finish up the '66 Chevelle fuel system, some for stock.

This Bat Flu mess is playing hello with getting a lot of stuff the US just doesn't make anymore.

I've been online for almost a full work week sourcing things that are backordered here, out-of-stock there, we-don't-know-if-we'll-ever-be-able-to-get-any -more someplace else.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting encounter:

While at Hobby Lobby and in the model aisle a mother and her teenage son were pondering over paints. They discussed what color to get and deciding on spray or bottle all the while he was holding the Revell Peterbilt kit in his hand. They passed by me several times and she excused themselves. The last time by I said no problem as long as he building a model you can go by as many times as you like, He replied he finds it relaxing and his mother supported the statement. All is not lost.

greg

Got a battered but readable factory manual on the GM 3-speed and 4-speed Hydramatics from the early 1960s.

The 3-speed is the "Roto-Hydramatic" or "Slim Jim" that's in my '63 Olds 88 convertible.

Though the plan is to convert the car to a stick, it's a kinda PITA, so being able to get the gearbox that's in her functioning is a big plus in the short term.

The car last ran in the mid 1980s, so there's no telling what's in the gearbox now...but there are (thankfully) still sources for all the wear parts.

The 4-speed Hydramatic was the basis for the famous B&M Hydrostick racing trans, and was in lots of production vehicles beginning in 1939, so this manual gives me a lot of potentially priceless info.

s-l1600.jpg

I got past a landmark in my rehabilitation.

The day started out as a frustrating mess, with multiple suppliers and the USPS all having issues simultaneously. So rather than sit and stew in anger, I slipped the leash and decided to see if I could accomplish a personal goal.

Several years back, I'd allowed myself to really pork up, and when an old lawn chair I plopped down in collapsed under me, I cracked my pelvis. Chronic pain, partial immobility, and a pronounced limp followed...and it was the kind of break they really can't do much for, actually through the socket of the hip joint (but lucky for me, the crack wasn't all the way through, and the pieces stayed in alignment...pretty much.

A few years prior to that, I'd been an avid hiker, and kept myself reasonably fit by hiking several times a week. But I let a bad attitude regarding the way some things in my life were going take the fun out of my days, and I packed on the pounds. I probably lost some bone density too, due to the lack of regular weight-bearing exercise...and that likely contributed to the hip fracture too.

Anyway, after a few years of slowly taking off weight and building up my strength and pain tolerance again, today I was able to make it all the way to the top of Kennesaw Mountain, an 800 foot rise going up a 1.6 mile road. What used to take me less than 20 minutes took every bit of 40, but that's fine with me. If I can do it at all, I can certainly do it quicker.

And I only needed two aspirin.  B)

http://www.georgiatrails.com/gt/Kennesaw_Mountain_Road

That's pretty good Bill. I walk everyday but not much in the way of hills where I am. I have to get out at 5 am because it gets too hot later. I only do about two miles in the summer. When the cooler weather comes around I will walk more . Gotta loose some of this virus weight .

F39492EA-34F2-49BF-A796-E3EF9D8F1F7D.thumb.jpeg.479c9d13b4a28e0845235a3f629d4628.jpeg3F688403_E30E_4421_8613_136B04597703_IMG

Got these yesterday.  I had screwed up drilling the caster blocks and bearing carriers I had for a larger diameter hinge pin I was going to use as a king pin and had to order new for one of my R/Cs, so I did and only 1 of the parts that showed was the correct one. Called who sent it (was through Shop-A-Tron, who had a LHS send it instead of direct from the maker like I thought) and since they were out of the part I didn’t get (as well as everybody else), they’re refunding my purchase of the bearing carriers and emailed my a return tag for the X-Maxx part I got.  I ended up going and ordering the much more expensive aluminum carriers with bearings......as well as a bunch of parts for another vehicle that I started to tear down last night for a much needed rebuild........that one is not gonna be cheap, especially if I go brushless on it?

Edited by Joe Handley