Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

I'm listing these here because I don't consider them modesl or die casts. I picked these up recently. Well not the Irwin Buick or the green Structo Caddy. I bought those over the years. The green Caddy was painted a dark metallic blue and it isn't in the best of conditions. So bad I made it into a hard top. But I thought the green fitted the era of the toy better than the metallic blue which wasn't original anyway. The Irwin Buick I'm not sure if I'm going to repaint it or not. You don't see them very often. The orange Structo Caddy was originally orange but missing most of it's paint. And I had the exact orange. The Tootsie Toy El Camino was missing most of it's red paint but I had a match. And the Tootsie Toy tow truck was missing most of it's green paint. The tow truck had a bit more blue in it's color but this was as close as I could find. It's kind of fun playing with these. I have my eye on a Tootsie Toy Race that will fit nicely on the yellow trailer. And I might buy the tow boom but don't know how I would permanently attach it to the truck body. They do sell a replacement. And do I leave the Irwin Buick as is? The fly wheel motor works fine. 

image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

19 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Since i'm not getting any time to build just now, i treated myself to a tv and second hand ps3. I would have got a newer playstation but i already have a heap of games for the ps3

The older games are so much more entertaining than the newer stuff. I love my ol' PS2 and the games I have for it......

324161910_carcovers2.thumb.jpg.c676528f467c88c12ca9970dee76a577.jpg

One of my stamp collecting friends surprised me with these yesterday! That made my day!  From the early years of automobile manufacturing...

My favorite is the Velie.  That was John Deere's grandson... an interesting story:

https://travelingadventuresofafarmgirl.com/2019/01/14/velie-plantation-history-lives-on-in-moline-illinois/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having such fun shooting airguns in my basement this summer that Thursday I ordered three more. One of my favorite vendors was having a 10% off sale with free shipping and nothing is getting any cheaper, so why not? One of them is out of stock until the first week of November so I won't get them until then, but I'm in no hurry. 

Meanwhile, three other new airguns I want have been announced but aren't out yet and won't be until (at least) January 2022. With inflation getting its evil talons around the whole economy I suspect the prices then will be substantially higher then that what's being advertised now. I contacted the vendor and asked if I could pre-order these three now, at today's price with the 10% off sale deal, and lock in that price for whenever they DO become available, and they said yes! (And they won't charge my credit card until they actually ship.)  So I ordered those too! ;)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I've been having such fun shooting airguns in my basement this summer that Thursday I ordered three more. One of my favorite vendors was having a 10% off sale with free shipping and nothing is getting any cheaper, so why not? One of them is out of stock until the first week of November so I won't get them until then, but I'm in no hurry. 

Meanwhile, three other new airguns I want have been announced but aren't out yet and won't be until (at least) January 2022. With inflation getting its evil talons around the whole economy I suspect the prices then will be substantially higher then that what's being advertised now. I contacted the vendor and asked if I could pre-order these three now, at today's price with the 10% off sale deal, and lock in that price for whenever they DO become available, and they said yes! (And they won't charge my credit card until they actually ship.)  So I ordered those too! ;)

Photos when you get them please.  I wish I had a basement.

42 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Photos when you get them please.  I wish I had a basement.

No need to wait to see them. Here they are: 

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/legends-m1a1-177-full-auto-blowback-co2-bb-gun?m=5125

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/legends-blowback-p08-co2-pistol-full-metal?m=3485

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/cz-75-co2-bb-pistol?m=3480

As to price increases, I notice that at least three of the five airguns I've bought in the last 4 or 5 months are now 10% more than when I bought them. Of these three, the Luger's price is up about 10% over what it was when I first decided to get one about a month ago. (I've just been waiting for a sale, which they finally had last week.) 

1 hour ago, stinkybritches said:

I'm tempted to order the CZ 75. It's crazy that an airgun mag is more than twice as much as a Mec Gar mag for the real thing.

I ordered one because I've always wanted a real CZ75 but never bought one because my hand's just a little too small to reach the trigger in DA, and because it's the closest thing available (so far) to my beloved Browning P-35. The airgun mag costs twice as much as the "real" mag because it's much more complicated--it contains the CO2 cartridge and the gas valve, which is the heart of the operating system. B)

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I ordered one because I've always wanted a real CZ75 but never bought one because my hand's just a little too small to reach the trigger in DA, and because it's the closest thing available (so far) to my beloved Browning P-35. The airgun mag costs twice as much as the "real" mag because it's much more complicated--it contains the CO2 cartridge and the gas valve, which is the heart of the operating system. B)

That makes sense. I've never had the pleasure to hold a CZ 75, but I do own one of the Turkish knockoffs, a Sar B6P. I have smallish hands but it fits me okay.

To my surprise and delight, the FedEx truck pulled up today and delivered 2/3 of my order--I thought they were holding the whole shipment until the Luger came in after the first of the month (they're not supposed to be charging me for shipping twice, we'll see what happens). 

So, no Luger yet, and I haven't been able to sneak the Thompson into the house yet, but I have had the chance to handle the CZ75. It's a beast! Feels heavier than the advertised weight of 2.09 pounds--maybe that's a misprint and it's supposed to be 2.9 pounds? The site description says it's single action but the trigger does raise and drop the hammer DA, though the hammer fall is reduced and it remains to be seen if it will actually shoot that way. SA trigger pull is VERY light--I'd estimate @ 3 pounds and a little mushy. The sights look good and the whole thing feels nice in the hand. I'll shoot it as soon as I can and report back. SB, if you have a real one, you might want to get one of these for basement rainy-day fun. And I wouldn't wait too long--not only are the prices of everything going up, but these are made in Taiwan and I don't know how long things from there will be available here. :unsure:

Those look really nice, especially the CZ75. Your posts are tempting me to buy a few airsoft guns for myself after seeing those. Locally the only dealers I've found that sell airsoft guns seem to only have rather cheap, substandard products and I've been turned off by them.  A good friend of mine is machining up parts to replicate a functional Man From Uncle gun from a good quality P-38 airsoft pistol. 

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

Those look really nice, especially the CZ75. Your posts are tempting me to buy a few airsoft guns for myself after seeing those. Locally the only dealers I've found that sell airsoft guns seem to only have rather cheap, substandard products and I've been turned off by them.  A good friend of mine is machining up parts to replicate a functional Man From Uncle gun from a good quality P-38 airsoft pistol. 

I don't have any experience with airsoft, all mine are .177 or .22 pellets, or BBs. I might be wrong but I'm of the impression that airsoft doesn't have the power to punch holes in paper at 10 yards, or the accuracy to make them useful training tools. The BB guns will do both. They're not as accurate as good firearms, of course, but they're "combat accurate" at basement range. For example, my BB 1911 will put most of its shots into an inch or so at 10 yards. It's not too difficult to chew a nice "rathole" in a paper plate at 10 yards with the 60 shots I get from one CO2 cartridge. 

You probably won't find the good stuff locally. I can recommend both pyramydair.com and airgundepot.com as vendors. They have the same prices and both have great shipping speed and customer service. 

Couple tips if you're interested in getting into this: 

Always check the weight in the specs. The good guns are all-metal and weigh around 2 pounds or a bit more. If it weighs much less, it's probably plastic. 

The good guns start at around $100 and go up. If it's much less than that, it'll probably be disappointing. 

Look for "blowback" action. This means the slide functions with every shot just like a real gun. Very satisfying! Plus, if a gun doesn't have the blowback action, it doesn't cock itself between shots and every shot has to be double action. I have an older cheap 1911 like that and it's not much fun. 

Umarex is the king of these guns. They're made in Taiwan. (I suggest getting anything you want from them as soon as possible.) Some of these are sold under other names (including Walther and Colt) but if you see it's made in Taiwan, it's almost certainly Umarex and the good stuff. (Umarex also makes airsoft and some lower-line guns; see my advice above about weight and price.) 

The Pyramydair site has customer reviews on nearly every gun they sell. Sometimes a lot of them. Read these on anything you're interested in. You can learn a lot from user reviews (even if sometimes it's just that the users are idiots). 

I like your friend's idea of an UNCLE P.38! I have the Umarex P.38 and I'm thinking of getting another one just to make it into an UNCLE gun. The barrel is removable and if Umarex would sell me a separate barrel, I'd just go ahead and do it on this one, and make another set of grips. I'm kind of surprised Umarex hasn't already brought out their own UNCLE Special based on this gun. 

Good luck if you get into these and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. B)

Thanks, meant to say bb/pellet but had airsoft on the brain. Thanks for your offer of assistance, it's appreciated and will definitely be helpful. I am definitely a novice with bb and pellet guns other than having a Red Ryder reproduction my wife gave me for Christmas some years ago.

I have some model collection purchases that will have my hobby account tied up for the short term. That will give me time to research some guns. 

Looked at pyramidair.com after your original post and was impressed. With current issues, at least locally, getting ammo for my regular shooters and the fact that my favorite range is closed I'm definitely looking for shooting alternatives. I have a nice size basement but currently all my wall space is covered with shelves and displays so I'd need to change some stuff up to make room for indoor plinking.

My friend is a machinist by trade and if his airsoft conversion goes well he's going to modify a really nice pellet gun he purchased at the same time he picked up the airsoft. I don't recall the manufacturer of either but I'll post photos of his .38 when he finishes it. 

Edited by Phirewriter

Seems like I had air guns as far back as I can remember . I had a range of sorts in my garage . I gave most away when I graduated to collecting real guns . I still have a couple I bought some time ago . There is one that I wish I never got rid of . It was pretty cheap and my dad bought it for me I would guess late 60’s ?  It was called the Healthways Plainsman . It was a CO 2 pistol . There was 2 versions one    With select power settings . I did not have that one . It was actually the most accurate air pistol I ever had . Even with its crude fixed sights . I try to find another every now and then but I want one in great condition if I get one . Gunbroker has one from time to time . Maybe time to look again . 

34E15204-DBA4-4D6A-A924-9DA0BB8EAD1D.jpeg

43 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Seems like I had air guns as far back as I can remember . I had a range of sorts in my garage . I gave most away when I graduated to collecting real guns . I still have a couple I bought some time ago . There is one that I wish I never got rid of . It was pretty cheap and my dad bought it for me I would guess late 60’s ?  It was called the Healthways Plainsman . It was a CO 2 pistol . There was 2 versions one    With select power settings . I did not have that one . It was actually the most accurate air pistol I ever had . Even with its crude fixed sights . I try to find another every now and then but I want one in great condition if I get one . Gunbroker has one from time to time . Maybe time to look again . 

34E15204-DBA4-4D6A-A924-9DA0BB8EAD1D.jpeg

I know exactly the gun you mean. I had one as a kid, not sure what happened to it but it's long gone. In my early days of the internet I just happened to run into a guy who had one and managed to buy it from him. I still have that one, but have never shot it. It takes the old original type small CO2 cartridges and I wouldn't know where to get those in my town anymore (only the larger Crosman type, which seems to be the standard, now). I suppose I could find them on the internet somewhere. 

Trust me, Cobraman, today's breed of CO2 BB guns are SO superior to this old relic in every way that it isn't even funny. No comparison at all. 

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

SB, if you have a real one, you might want to get one of these for basement rainy-day fun. And I wouldn't wait too long--not only are the prices of everything going up, but these are made in Taiwan and I don't know how long things from there will be available here. :unsure:

I took your suggestion and ordered the CZ. I haven't had a chance to get to the range in over a year, but I'm pretty sure I can get out to the backyard and put some BB holes in soda cans.

12 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

I took your suggestion and ordered the CZ. I haven't had a chance to get to the range in over a year, but I'm pretty sure I can get out to the backyard and put some BB holes in soda cans.

Welcome to the wonderful world of airgunning! You should have it in just a couple days. While you wait, go to Walmart and pick up some CO2 cartridges and BBs. And eye protection, if you don't already have some. Very important with BBs, as they can and will bounce. 

I'm interested to hear how the trigger pull is on yours. The DA on mine is quite stiff--reminds me of my Walther PP and PPK. SA on the other hand...well, there's a little takeup, and then you can just barely feel the engagement, and then very shortly after it starts moving, it lets go, with not much more than 2 pounds of pressure. I'd be willing to bet your real CZ trigger pull isn't like that. Only trigger like that I've ever used is on an old ERMA/Iver Johnson .22 M1 carbine. It's not unpleasant to shoot, it's just...different. 

Umarex is all over the place with their triggers. Their M1 carbine and 1911 have triggers almost exactly like my real guns--very useful for practice/training--while their P.38's trigger is nothing like the real thing. 

They're all still fun to shoot, though. Hoping to shoot the CZ very soon. 

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I don't have any experience with airsoft, all mine are .177 or .22 pellets, or BBs. I might be wrong but I'm of the impression that airsoft doesn't have the power to punch holes in paper at 10 yards, or the accuracy to make them useful training tools. The BB guns will do both. They're not as accurate as good firearms, of course, but they're "combat accurate" at basement range. For example, my BB 1911 will put most of its shots into an inch or so at 10 yards. It's not too difficult to chew a nice "rathole" in a paper plate at 10 yards with the 60 shots I get from one CO2 cartridge. 

You probably won't find the good stuff locally. I can recommend both pyramydair.com and airgundepot.com as vendors. They have the same prices and both have great shipping speed and customer service. 

Couple tips if you're interested in getting into this: 

Always check the weight in the specs. The good guns are all-metal and weigh around 2 pounds or a bit more. If it weighs much less, it's probably plastic. 

The good guns start at around $100 and go up. If it's much less than that, it'll probably be disappointing. 

Look for "blowback" action. This means the slide functions with every shot just like a real gun. Very satisfying! Plus, if a gun doesn't have the blowback action, it doesn't cock itself between shots and every shot has to be double action. I have an older cheap 1911 like that and it's not much fun. 

Umarex is the king of these guns. They're made in Taiwan. (I suggest getting anything you want from them as soon as possible.) Some of these are sold under other names (including Walther and Colt) but if you see it's made in Taiwan, it's almost certainly Umarex and the good stuff. (Umarex also makes airsoft and some lower-line guns; see my advice above about weight and price.) 

The Pyramydair site has customer reviews on nearly every gun they sell. Sometimes a lot of them. Read these on anything you're interested in. You can learn a lot from user reviews (even if sometimes it's just that the users are idiots). 

I like your friend's idea of an UNCLE P.38! I have the Umarex P.38 and I'm thinking of getting another one just to make it into an UNCLE gun. The barrel is removable and if Umarex would sell me a separate barrel, I'd just go ahead and do it on this one, and make another set of grips. I'm kind of surprised Umarex hasn't already brought out their own UNCLE Special based on this gun. 

Good luck if you get into these and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. B)

Wow, I had no idea you could get that many shots from a CO2 pistol. I bought one maybe 35 years ago or so (I think it was a Crosman revolver?) and after a couple dozen shots at most, I could see the pellets during flight. I returned it immediately and bought a Crosman 1322. It is far superior to what I had, but pumping it continuously is a pain. I still have it, but haven’t fired it in years. I just googled it and apparently there are all sorts of modifications that can be done to it. Any experience with one of these?

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Wow, I had no idea you could get that many shots from a CO2 pistol. I bought one maybe 35 years ago or so (I think it was a Crosman revolver?) and after a couple dozen shots at most, I could see the pellets during flight. I returned it immediately and bought a Crosman 1322. It is far superior to what I had, but pumping it continuously is a pain. I still have it, but haven’t fired it in years. I just googled it and apparently there are all sorts of modifications that can be done to it. Any experience with one of these?

No experience with that gun, but I have an OLD Crosman 150 CO2 gun I haven't shot in years. I even forget whether it's .177 or .22. It's a single shot and I seem to remember it as being pretty accurate. 

I've been getting consistently 60 shots per cartridge out of my replica 1911 and P.38, and 45 shots per cartridge out of the M1 carbine. I'm happy with that. I figure my shooting costs at about 1c per shot, more or less. 

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of airgunning! You should have it in just a couple days. While you wait, go to Walmart and pick up some CO2 cartridges and BBs. And eye protection, if you don't already have some. Very important with BBs, as they can and will bounce. 

I'm interested to hear how the trigger pull is on yours. The DA on mine is quite stiff--reminds me of my Walther PP and PPK. SA on the other hand...well, there's a little takeup, and then you can just barely feel the engagement, and then very shortly after it starts moving, it lets go, with not much more than 2 pounds of pressure. I'd be willing to bet your real CZ trigger pull isn't like that. Only trigger like that I've ever used is on an old ERMA/Iver Johnson .22 M1 carbine. It's not unpleasant to shoot, it's just...different. 

Umarex is all over the place with their triggers. Their M1 carbine and 1911 have triggers almost exactly like my real guns--very useful for practice/training--while their P.38's trigger is nothing like the real thing. 

They're all still fun to shoot, though. Hoping to shoot the CZ very soon. 

The package should be here on the 13th, tomorrow as I type this. I already have 1,000s of BBs left over from my youth but I do need to get CO2 cartridges. I'm hoping to be able to shoot it this weekend, I just need my son to take a nap so I can get outside. Looking forward to it.