Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

Two new airguns, CO2/BB replicas of the Walther P.38 and PPK/S. Looking forward to shooting them. The P.38 came in a nice box, but the PPK/s came in THE WORST blister-pack plastic I've ever seen on ANY product of any kind. It was thick plastic, heavily "welded," and with an irregular border. I was--no kidding--20 minutes freeing the gun from its plastic tomb, using a serrated steak knife and a pair of heavy-duty scissors. A "hot knife" would have been the perfect tool, or maybe a cutoff wheel in a Dremel. This package was SO miserable to work with that had I known about it, I might not have bought the gun at all.  I have products that I've paid good money for that aren't nearly as tough and durable as that stupid package was. 

On 3/25/2022 at 3:45 PM, Matt Bacon said:

Boeing auto lock nut plates... I feel a close personal connection with the part number..

9.5 points.

They are indeed aviation locking nutplates, 10-32 to be exact (stainless, with silver-plated threads to prevent galling seizure) but are a generic MS/NAS number, similar to the proprietary Boeing parts.   :D

On 3/31/2022 at 1:01 AM, 426 pack said:

After over a month of waiting I finally got my reproduction hurst/mopar pistol grip shifter

A month is quick nowadays. I ordered carpet for my '67 Charger in December, the last update was I would see it "hopefully" in August.

Those are one of the most iconic shifters ever produced.

11 hours ago, Xingu said:

A month is quick nowadays. I ordered carpet for my '67 Charger in December, the last update was I would see it "hopefully" in August.

Those are one of the most iconic shifters ever produced.

I know, I have dreamed about owning a wood grain mopar pistol grip shifter forever and I’m so excited that not only do I have one now but I actually have a car for it to go in.  

Yeah I was actually surprised when I walked into the place I ordered it from an they told me it was here. At the same time I ordered a bell housing and intake for my 340 and was told that it if I’m lucky it’ll be another 4 weeks but it could take a few months or more and I also just received a hood for my truck that I almost forgot I ordered. 

• 2 weeks later...

A business associate is moving his shop, made me a smokin' deal on a 20-ton Chinesium shop press. My 15-ton unit got away years ago, caught in the crossfire of another guy's divorce, and I've been making do with a little guy at the house.

This thing will last forever, as seal kits for the ram are easy to come by, and cheap.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.XMkI55IXd5s6af6Vat4mFwAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Got a cheap, old-school Thrush Turbo muffler for my '89 GMC. What was on it was so rusted out, it was gassing me.

The Thrush Turbo is, of course, a copy of the 1960s Corvair turbo muffler, developed by GM for very low restriction and reasonable sound levels.

For a long time, it was my go-to performance muffler, and lotsa what's on the market for a lot more money is essentially the same (off-patent) design.

Thrush 17714 Thrush Turbo Mufflers | Summit Racing

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Love the Gee Bee. Built one once but could not get the paint right.

Yes Ray. I personally have a problem with white paint. The kit comes in grey though so I have to paint it!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a nice used mopar single plane aluminum intake for a small block at a swap meet, I already have another intake coming for my 340 but it was to good of a deal to pass up. I also got a pretty cool set of big block mopar valve covers (they aren’t actually original 426 valve covers) but I thought they will look cool hanging on a wall or maybe on my 440 if I ever find a home for it. 

D5305D1E-4A95-44EA-8980-766E14D28E62.jpeg

FF5C42BA-1535-4FD4-9693-DFD00D014817.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after a long time searching I finally found a good back window for my 71 valiant, it just so happened to be attached to another 71 valiant with a good amount of useable parts.

4A75BDC0-F80E-43A1-8659-0E4226278E62.jpeg

Edited by 426 pack
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, cobraman said:

Pranko boxes .  These are fun . They have several styles and are very well done . I have bought several . It is a phony box that you use to put a real gift in . The look on peoples faces when they unwrap their gifts and see one of these ! 

34900C1C-C1AE-43A4-B2EF-110C471CD834.jpeg

07A63408-28EE-4D4A-B1D6-082F18E84015.jpeg

I love this! “Dishwasher safe!” That is funny. 

On 11/18/2021 at 10:34 PM, CabDriver said:

This little fellas arrived today - a delicious can of Rat Fink!  

He popped up in my eBay suggestions and I had to get myself one…of course now I’ve discovered there’s a bunch of different colors to collect and I kinda want the others too…

DD445D81-B3D7-44D7-A7FE-AFD0A08DD26A.jpeg

I too have one of these. 

• Like 1