Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

On 6/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, ewetwo said:

I picked these up along with the model cars today. I have a nephew who says he’s into model planes. Hopefully he will want them. O I don’t what to do with them. Some look really old. 

535C2EDE-CBB1-4275-91B3-C06DCE1857B2.jpeg

23B6FF4B-C520-492D-9C74-9DF42C0613CF.jpeg

Pretty cool. Was the builder able to get the landing gear workable on the Gulfhawk?  I had the Navy version of the kit when I was 9 or10. Now THAT was a gluebomb. 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Got these cool kits today. The Da Vinci clock is a wooden kit, I found it at Hobby Lobby. The music box is a wooden kit, and the Strandbeest is a plastic kit. I found both of them on Amazon. I think I might go with a Steampunk theme for all of them...

20220721_200944.thumb.jpg.e1091a4ba7087f340c8f1da6e1516475.jpg20220721_201106.thumb.jpg.6c608470351e01cedcdb0cd41df55e01.jpg20220721_201019.thumb.jpg.4e08e19488d96accdca23480df13e185.jpg

On 7/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, Can-Con said:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner David, I was out of town on vacation.

Anyway, it's the orange biplane with the white stripes. 

Same. Life problems pop up. So you are interested in that plane. I haven't heard anything from my nephew. I don't know how complete it is but I'll look through the loose parts to see if I can find what's missing Steve. I don't know what I'm going to do with them. It's not my thing.

38 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Same. Life problems pop up. So you are interested in that plane. I haven't heard anything from my nephew. I don't know how complete it is but I'll look through the loose parts to see if I can find what's missing Steve. I don't know what I'm going to do with them. It's not my thing.

Oh, I wasn't looking for a trade David, just saying I had one when I was a kid and thought it was neat. 👍

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Oh, I wasn't looking for a trade David, just saying I had one when I was a kid and thought it was neat. 👍

Oh. Sorry Steve. That type of thing happened before. Someone mentioned they had one as a kid but never told me they wanted. I traded it off and then found the other guy wanted it. So I didn't want to make that mistake again. 

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Oh. Sorry Steve. That type of thing happened before. Someone mentioned they had one as a kid but never told me they wanted. I traded it off and then found the other guy wanted it. So I didn't want to make that mistake again. 

No worries David. I do appreciate the offer though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hike a lot, mostly 1-2 hours at a stretch locally. Camelback water carriers work well for long marches, but I think they look dorky for shorter work. Too urban-commando dweeb.

I got a new old-school military-style stainless steel canteen to replace my ancient grotty plastic one, which can leach BPA into the water, possibly causing a variety of interesting health issues. Aluminum, also common in this style canteen, has been linked with Alzheimer's. So why risk it?

This one's all stainless, has a nesting cup with a handle, can be boiled in a survival situation, and has two belt retention options. The buttoned cover can also be wetted to get evaporative cooling...just like the old GI-issue styles, but better. The one-quart capacity is enough for 2 hours in hot weather, and it'll pay for itself in 10 hikes. No bottled water plastic waste either, and hands-free carrying.  B)

Image 1 - ELK Stainless Steel Military Canteen and Cup With Green Cover For Camping

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

Got this 87 corvette with 63k miles on it today. It's a 1 owner car that's been in a garage since 05...

Very nice. Those are wildly underrated cars, and are a vast technical improvement over the previous generation, with great brakes and handling, and clean, timeless styling.

Nice other thing...now that they're out of emissions requirements in many locations, the reliable old Chevy smallblock will happily pony up enough additional power to make it as fast as it looks.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

On 9/3/2022 at 9:05 PM, 426 pack said:

Picked up a 65 skylark for $100, it’s ver rust and has some pretty bad damage on the rear quarter panels but I just didn’t want to see it get crushed. 

C706031F-D60E-47F8-AFA1-A5B41CC797FF.jpeg

OMG that's one of my dream cars! I drove a '65 Special in high school and have been looking for a '64-'65 Skylark or Special for years now. Fabulous score! 

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Very nice. Those are wildly underrated cars, and are a vast technical improvement over the previous generation, with great brakes and handling, and clean, timeless styling.

Nice other thing...now that they're out of emissions requirements in many locations, the reliable old Chevy smallblock will happily pony up enough additional power to make it as fast as it looks.

I plan on doing a few little things to it after I get it road worthy nothing serious just some small mods.