Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

On 12/18/2018 at 9:18 PM, martinfan5 said:

And, I have problems, another camera, yes, this is the next model up from the one I got a few months ago,  this is replacing my Nikon D5300 that I am selling. I am saying this is my Christmas present to myself,  B&H Photo had a good deal that I couldnt pass up.

Just out of curiosity, how much will you be seeking for the D5300?

Delrin bar stock to make some suspension and engine mount bushings. Aluminum bar stock to make some steering rack bushings. HDPE and brass bar stock for other bushings. A big box of 2 1/8" mandrel bends to build a set of headers for a 572 Chebby in a '66 Chevelle. And a 1" X 6" slice of 7/16" mild steel plate to extend a trans mount.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:51 PM, Roadrunner said:

Just out of curiosity, how much will you be seeking for the D5300?

It was sold before I before made the post:lol:,  they are pretty cheap , you can get a new one on Ebay with a lens for just under $400 shipped.

Edited by martinfan5

16 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

It was sold before I before made the post:lol:,  they are pretty cheap , you can get a new one on Ebay with a lens for just under $400 shipped.

OK, thanks. (I currently use a Nikon Coolpix that works just great, but I'd eventually like to upgrade.)

Bought this off of ebay Saturday, and was delivered to my house yesterday. It's a DVD set of a lost classic 70's TV show. The Magician, starring Bill Bixby. I watched a couple of episodes on YouTube before deciding to ordered the complete series, all 21 episodes + the TV pilot, in this DVD collection. 

I'm happy to say that this is one of those shows I remember liking at the time, that holds well after viewing it 45 years later. The premise is a little unbelievable. A wealthy magician living on his own private Boeing 720 jetliner, solving crime. And he drives a Corvette which he parks in the cargo bay of the plane. The pilot episode does explain where he got the money to do this. But, still. It's a little unbelievable. Yet a fun fantasy. Bill Bixby is so good, and so fun to watch in this series, that I'm willing to buy the premise. 

Watching the shows got me thinking. I may want to build models of both his Corvette and Boeing 720. The Corvette should not be a problem. In the pilot episode it was a new '73 Corvette coupe. White with a tan interior. In the regular series, the same other than it was now a '74. What little research I can find on plane is an old article from TV Guide, claiming it was borrowed from a branch of the military. I question that. It looks more like the plane known as the "Starship", own by Bob Sherman and his manager, and used by many rock groups in the 1970's. Mainly Led Zeppelin. And if that's the case, there is a model of that exact plane, with decals to make that paint scheme available right now. So I may have to do The Magician's car and plane in model form. By way, the Magician's plane had the name "Sprit" on the nose. And Corvette had personalized license plates reading the SPRIT too. Cool. 

IMG_3196.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

28 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Bought this off of ebay Saturday, and was delivered to my house yesterday. It's a DVD set of a lost classic 70's TV show. The Magician, starring Bill Bixby. I watched a couple of episodes on YouTube before deciding to ordered the complete series, all 21 episodes + the TV pilot, in this DVD collection. 

I'm happy to say that this is one of those shows I remember liking at the time, that holds well after viewing it 45 years later. The premise is a little unbelievable. A wealthy magician living on his own private Boeing 720 jetliner, solving crime. And he drives a Corvette which he parks in the cargo bay of the plane. The pilot episode does explain where he got the money to do this. But, still. It's a little unbelievable. Yet a fun fantasy. Bill Bixby is so good, and so fun to watch in this series, that I'm willing to buy the premise. 

Watching the shows got me thinking. I may want to build models of both his Corvette and Boeing 720. The Corvette should not be a problem. In the pilot episode it was a new '73 Corvette coupe. White with a tan interior. In the regular series, the same other than it was now a '74. What little research I can find on plane is an old article from TV Guide, claiming it was borrowed from a branch of the military. I question that. It looks more like the plane known as the "Starship", own by Bob Sherman and his manager, and used by many rock groups in the 1970's. Mainly Led Zeppelin. And if that's the case, there is a model of that exact plane, with decals to make that paint scheme available right now. So I may have to do The Magician's car and plane in model form. By way, the Magician's plane had the name "Sprit" on the nose. And Corvette had personalized license plates reading the SPRIT too. Cool. 

IMG_3196.JPG

I remember the show and always enjoyed Bill Bixbys work. A great build idea and look forward to seeing it.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:00 PM, Roadrunner said:

...I currently use a Nikon Coolpix that works just great, but I'd eventually like to upgrade...

Yup, I have a couple of really cheap little 4.1 MP Nikon Coolpixes I use in the shop and the model bench. I bought one new eons ago when it was actually a pretty decent camera, and it was so good, I bought another one used fairly recently for about $15.

One thing I really like about Nikon is that they made their (free) photo-editing suite compatible with even the littlest, old cameras, and they will run on Windows "legacy" systems too (XP anyway).

Even though I have a more "serious" digital SLR, I don't bother to use it unless I need very high quality images...not really required here.

A couple of photos dealing with my thoughts above on The Magician's plane. Any thoughts? Was it really the "Starship" or not? The first photo is the box art to present available model of the "Starship". The second is the article from TV guide on The Magician's airplane. The other three are of the "Starship" herself. 

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

On 12/25/2018 at 10:25 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Even though I have a more "serious" digital SLR, I don't bother to use it unless I need very high quality images...not really required here.

Same here, the Nikon that I have is way more than adequate for my online hobby requirements.

I got a little closer to bringing my recently purchased Jag XJ6 home. The previous owner had taken much of the dash out, and dropped the steering column, in an effort to trace a smoked wire in the climate-control system. He finally got tired of messing with it, so she's mine now. Just a few things to address before she's running again, at least enough to go cross-town on her own power.

35 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

Cash.  I sold all my stained glass materials, tools, patterns, etc. for cash.  Been doing glass for over 40 years but my back doesn't like me standing and bending over the bench to work.  I can sit doing models.

Do you have pics of some of your work, Jim? I've wanted to get into stained glass (and lamp making) for a while..... just never had the setup...

On 12/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, KWT said:

I got a Smith and Wesson 9mm today. And my son gave me a hammer that has "Dad always fixes what's broken" engraved into the handle.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:46 PM, cobraman said:

M&P ?

Finally got to play with it today.... mmm mmmmmm mmmmmmmm... I haven't shot a 9mm in 20yrs. Oh so nice.