Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

They're multiplying.

So last month I picked up a silver K1500.

And now, this one has come home. Not sure what I'll do with this.

1991 GMC K1500 SLE. Low km, mechanically in excellent shape. Interior needs cleaning but is dead mint. Body is pretty much gone. Both rockers, inner & outer cab corners, front fenders, pass box side, rear bumper.

20200905_135858.thumb.jpg.3f94b0330792b863a3463399d0b2d545.jpg

20200905_135758.thumb.jpg.36a34d272430d400a6729ad7c64e03df.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a couple rifle stocks for a couple classic old .22 rifles off eBay. The first is a very classic Winchester 69A I bought for an amazing price at a local gun shop about 15 years ago, only to discover that its stock had been shortened for a youngster. Been shooting it for years with a homemade extension on the butt, but now I'll be able to restore it to proper appearance. It deserves it--it's a real good shooter and they don't make 'em like that anymore. 

The second is a Remington 581 from the early '70s. There's nothing wrong with the stock that's on it now, but it was my very first rifle and I want to leave the original stock alone but would also like one slightly customized and reshaped to suit my tastes. Now I can have both. 

Both stocks need refinishing and some minor dent repair and so forth, but they're both walnut (hard to find on .22 rifles these days) and I enjoy gunstock refinishing work of this kind. 

Interestingly, both these rifles were considered low-cost in their day, but would be prohibitively expensive to manufacture by today's standards. No plastic or pot metal on either of them (except for the plastic magazine of the Rem 581), just good old-school blued steel and American walnut! 

• 2 weeks later...

Treated myself to a new to me laptop. I considered buying brand new but got a smoking hot deal on a factory reconditioned lenovo. Its much faster than my old one and has twice the storage. I think I'll keep my old one for taking to work with me as i have had it for near 10 years and it wont matter as much if it gets damaged

45 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

a factory reconditioned lenovo. Its much faster than my old one and has twice the storage. 

I believe that's what I had at my last job.  A few months before I left, we got taken over by a new corporate parent who came in and replaced all our computers with brand new ones. I asked about buying my "old" one and the corp IT guy told me that wasn't permitted--they'd be subjected to a "military-grade scrubbing and reset" and then resold to somebody. It's possible you ended up with mine, or that of one of my former coworkers. B)

Just now, Snake45 said:

I believe that's what I had at my last job.  A few months before I left, we got taken over by a new corporate parent who came in and replaced all our computers with brand new ones. I asked about buying my "old" one and the corp IT guy told me that wasn't permitted--they'd be subjected to a "military-grade scrubbing and reset" and then resold to somebody. It's possible you ended up with mine, or that of one of my former coworkers. B)

That would be kinda freaky if it is, lol

“Factory reconditioned” -  wipe the disk, vacuum the snots and dandruff out of the keyboard.

My current laptop at home is a factory reconditioned Asus eBay  Deal if the Day for $150. It’s worked fine for a few years now

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 3 weeks later...

Was watching/participating with my son in a live streaming Hot Wheels Legends' tour this month where they have owners of 1:1 cars compete to have their cars replicated in HWs form.(They used to be in person live events, but were COVIDified to only). They held a drawing to give away two HWs throughout the event, and I was lucky enough to be one of the lucky names called of of a few thousand attendees, so totally unexpected. This just came in the mail.

1500943832_HELegends55.jpg.1b6fca4715005b760b2178a3a09a22a6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Met a guy who was into film cameras for many years, was an avid backpacker and took them allover for years.  He hadn't touched them for 20 years, so he sold them to me. I enjoy collecting and tinkering with 35mm slr cameras.  This collection is all Olympus and all one owner. Each piece he purchased new. I am tickled pink to add them to my collection.  Hopefully I can get them all cleaned up this next week. 

20201118_162223.jpg

Congratulations, G!  

You did good work, accomplishing the "sprue" of life that led to that great looking brand-new issue grandson!!  Future model car builder, for certain.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful new release!  

?? 

Edited by Danno

On 11/21/2020 at 7:54 PM, Danno said:

AZ has a new scheme.

The paper plate has the same characters as the hard plate will.  So, it won't matter whether you're displaying a temporary paper plate or your new hard plate:  the plate "number" will be the same.

??

California did that as well. Nevada, well we're still stuck in the stone age. At least I could register the new bike online.

G

5 hours ago, Danno said:

Congratulations, G!  

You did good work, accomplishing the "sprue" of life that led to that great looking brand-new issue grandson!!  Future model car builder, for certain.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful new release!  

?? 

Thank you sir!

With more that one offspring I am looking forward to additional releases. "Variants" of the same theme so to speak.

G