Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

Actually picked this up last weekend but it is the first car that I've owned that I can actually build a model of.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS in Inferno Orange with the Inferno Orange leather interior. She had just shy of 9500 miles on her when I brought her home last Saturday.

IMG_20141116_095611_zps9a15cdac.jpg

Got an HEI distributor, a fuel pressure regulator, a rebuild kit for a Rochester 2GC (from my '63 Olds) and a 20" generic turbo muffler...all to convert my old '89 GMC longbed to non-EFI and get it back working for a living.

Also "got" the template made for the adapter to mount the 2GC to the EFI throttle-body manifold. Now just have to carve it out of 1/2" aluminum plate.

Tired of having lazy vehicles sitting around on the dole.

Why do you need a kit of your wife's car? Just go in the garage and you'll see that you have a 1:1 scale model already. I have MANY other modeling projects I'd rather do than build models of cars I have or had in the past. That's what photos are for.

To each his own Nick. I'm sure our model shelves look completely different. And that's just fine.

Almost forgot. A cast iron intake manifold and Rochester 4bbl from a '64 Olds Starfire just came in to replace the 2bbl units on my '63 88 convertible. Got a core distributor and a Pertronix setup, plus a set of NOS rocker shafts and rockers. Soon as she's runnin' happy on the 4bbl, I'll swap to the triple 2G setup, aluminum Offy manifold. Still working on how to do a roller cam in this thing without breaking the bank.

Getting the engine up & running, sounding pretty, is (hopefully) going to keep me inspired to do the rest of the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking car Kyle.. I broke the golden rule and bought the wife a car that there is no kit for... 2005 Buick LaCrosse, fully loaded including leather. 30,000 senior citizen miles, estate car that the son traded in on a new Acura SUV. $8000 cash.

IMG_1657-vi.jpg

Nice score, Tom. I remember you telling me about that at L.I.A.R.S. That car should last you a good long time.

Charlie Larkin

I got this scope for my pellet rifle:

652165m.jpg

It's a Bushnell 2.5-16x50. It will focus down to 10 yards and focuses with a side knob, rather than rotating the objective end of the scope. Much easier for the short ranges used with airguns. Rifle is a .25cal Benjamin marauder. So far, the only mod is a Harris swivel bipod, but it will get some other mods to increase shot count and make it more quiet than it already is.

I also bought a slab of Renshape. It's 2"x 20"x 60". It's not here yet.

My wife and I went out and bought all of the kids Christmas presents in one trip. It's the first time we tried Christmas shopping like this and it wasn't as stressful as previous years. We used to buy throughout the year and always had too many presents and spent more than we planned. I hope this becomes a new family tradition.

Last week I got my driver's license. B) I can tell you that I've driven lots of miles with my '87 Chevy Van during this week, and it looks a bit different on the High School parking lot between all of the "four-wheel washing machines" made out of plastic. B)

Last week I got my driver's license. B) I can tell you that I've driven lots of miles with my '87 Chevy Van during this week, and it looks a bit different on the High School parking lot between all of the "four-wheel washing machines" made out of plastic. B)

I remember getting my license and driving to school. My 1st car was a 70 chevelle with a 350 horse 327. Got rear ended 2 months before graduation. Took the insurance money and bought a 73 type LT camaro. Had it runnin on senior ditch day.

What did i get today, let me see..... Oh, i got to sit on a job in Newport Beach for 3 hours waiting for permits so i could dump the load of rock i brought in from Arizona. Then i went to Hobby Lobby and bought all the California Hauler petes that were on the shelf and i bought Christine.

I didn't exactly buy them this week...I actually bought them almost a month ago.

I ebay and flea market for a living, and often buy very large amounts at estate sales. At the last estate sale I went to, I bought a large lot of tools at the tail end of the auction for $20.

Included in that lot was an old school, US made bench vise. There were also three very nice quality Williams brand C-clamps in the lot.

I've been working down the pile in the truck, and found the C-clamps today.

I liberated those C-clamps...and they will find a comfy place in my shop area. I've got a thing for good quality C-clamps. Actually, it is more like a problem. I just can't let a good C-clamp go...I might have a few too many, LOL.

I am thinking about liberating the vice too. 5+ inch jaws. Probably a better vise than I have right now.