Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 duster on steroids nov 6 decalled and nearly done

freakshow12

Hey guys, I got the itch to build something different and a mopar fit the bill. The vette is still slowly moving as is the torino engine. I got the amt kit from a member here and just couldn't wait! I was going to go factory stock but until I nail down all the details on a stock one I'm going nasty street car! I already made a hood by adding a 69 super bee six pack scoop, mini tubbed it and did a few other small things. Power is coming from the cross rammed hemi from the 68 dart as well as Dana rear and inboard springs. It will have a cage and subframe connectors as well. It will also have full exhaust. It will look something like this

C19A355F-82FB-4141-AD8B-1854313AE92A_zps

Edited by freakshow12

Thanks for the replies guys! I had built one of these long ago and I remembered fighting the side glass but had kind of forgotten about the dash so good catch there. I will be using the kit k member and frame on the front. The headers on the dart kit are great and the hemi fits nicely. There is a steering linkage issue but I have an easy solution in mind. It fills the engine bay just like the 1:1 swaps I have seen so all is well. Here it is mocked up in the k member

C0F99D51-7328-4BE1-A471-0AF43AC865AA_zps

Oh btw I won't be using those carbs. It wil be wearing something quite a bit nicer

• 3 weeks later...

NICE work, How'd you manage the silver fins on the black valve covers? I got a few I'd like to do the same with, BUT I'm pondering if someone might have a better way to do it!

Me, I thought to paint the bare plastic, silver lacquer enamel OR leave them chrome, allow if painted allow to cure completely, and then, lightly mist paint the whole things with water based Acrylic enamel, so that I can use something to quickly wipe off just the tops of the fins on the ones I have planned to do. My biggest issue doing this, is what do you use to wipe them off with? Water or alcohol on a Q-tip? anything else better then that?

Thanks guys. I have used several techniques for fins. These particular covers were in sad shape when I found them. I stripped the heavy yellowed Chrome to get the fin detail back and so I could fill the large sink marks on the ends. I then painted them black and let them cure. The fins then could have gone 2 ways. First I used a dry rush of testors silver on these ones. I went one way then the other to get good coverage with a very fine brush. The alternative is to mask either side of the fin group and paint the whole section silver. After that's dry I put a water based black wash in and then wipe off. A 3rd way is paint cover, foil fin area then do a black wash and wipe off fins while still wet. Just play with whatever covers you want to do. Can't really screw them up. Hope that helps

• 3 months later...

Well guys, now that the Camaro is in the books it's time to hammer this one out. Updates this evening with any luck. I got the Dana 60 from the dart narrowed to move the springs inboard, the whole rear half of the chassis was reworked to do this. The spare tire well and fuel tank had to go. I will be building a tank and the car will have a full 3" exhaust ending in stock tips as I love that look. Cage is started but I'm not very good at them yet