Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Silk Purse,,,, The Corvan

Wow!! Now this is bodywork :lol:

Amazing amount of work you have done on this, you really have transformed it. If I had gotten a resinbody looking like the one you started with I would have put it back in its box and hidden it somewhere and just tried to forget about it.

Thank you all for the compliments, they mean a lot to me. Bob, I thought about pinning the guide, but it fit so well I only needed to hold it in place.

I decided I have enough of the major body work done to cut out the front windows, I waited on this step to keep the shell as strong as possible.

I've got the side doors lightly scribed and I'm happy with how straight they are this time. I did try to scribe the right front door again and failed miserably. Again, I think the problem is the body filler and pinholes keeping any tool from making a smooth clean scrape. My next thought is to try using some photo etch saw blades. I've never used them before and don't know what ones I should get. I also need to find a way to fill in the scribing on the back doors as they are real deep.

Other than the scribing, I am gettting real close to a final sanding and priming.

PC170142Medium_zps9bf26f1a.jpg

PC170143Medium_zps8b682952.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I cast the front bumper from a 65 Chevy P.U., then shortened it, narrowed it, and trimmed the ends. Unfortunately it needs to be a bit longer to fit the back, so I'll cast another and repeat the process.

The stock P.U. bumper with my modified one.

PC200148Medium_zps9bbf81af.jpg

On the van.

PC200149_zpsd6282736.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I'm going to cast another headlight, then if it comes out OK, I'll glue it to the original master and make a final mold. This way I will be able to cast a pair of headlights at a time. I've got the grille, grille bar, and headlights in silicone waiting to cure.

Here's the setup for the headlights.

PC210150Medium_zps74c25716.jpg

After I shortened the back bumper I noticed it wasn't straight. I cast another one and got it right this time.

PC210151Medium_zps43d24064.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

The new master for casting two sets of headlights. I just need to sand the bottom of the "feed tube" going to the original one so it will flow faster.

PC220156Medium_zpsabc08fae.jpg

Here's a shot of the front with a pair of reject headlights and the grille I cast, along with the bumper that is still in the making. The right headlight bucket is not done yet, which is why that assembly is crooked.

PC220158Medium_zps60b41858.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Not a lot of progress lately. The body line above the headlights and grille had too much of an arch to it that needed to be addressed. It only took about three tries with the filler and shaping to get it right. :blink:

Before,

PC200149_zpsd6282736.jpg

After,

PC280164Medium_zps6ba49e7b.jpg

I also manged to drop one of the bumpers on the floor and broke an end off of it with my chair. I can't find the end that broke off, so I'll be casting and modifying another one. I've also run some tape as a guide to see how straight and parallel some of my lines were, they weren't as straight as I thought. I filled the areas with filler and as it started to set up, I pulled the tape which gave me a straight line that needed just a little sanding. I still have to straighten out the coves and the taillight panels, then it will be time to wetsand the body to get the scratches out.

Edited by Psychographic

I'm still plugging along on this thing. I'm tying to get the two coves that run down the body straight. I thought it would be easy, wrap some sandpaper around a rigid tube and be done,,,,,,,,,,,,,WRONG! It's taking forever for me to get them straight and even. One thing I noticed, I didn't have the body straight enough and where it bulged out would make the cove bigger. I've got them pretty straight, but have a ways to go.

P1050166Medium_zps7d08be5d.jpg

P1050168Medium_zps4535e521.jpg

P1050167Medium_zpsc2af6dc1.jpg