Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac's Ghost Car- Plexiglas bodied car

Great pictures of the car. An Automobile Quarterly book from the 1980's is where I saw this car for the the first time. And, I've seen it in other publications since. But, never with so many pictures showing all the little details of the car. Note the crack in the front of the hood. Other than that and a little yellowing, I'd say the car has held up pretty good over the years.

Scott

It's too bad the auto makers don't do things like that any more. Gm had a Corvette (67?) where the body raise straight up off the frame,so you could see everything underneath. They would have cars in dealer showrooms,sitting on their side,so you could see the chassis. I guess part of it is that new cars don't even have frames,and there's nothing to look at anyway... My .02 Carry on.

That Pontiac was in a collection in Terre Haute IN for a few decades. I've seen it, and watched it being started and run (yeah, it does run!). It's certainly a sight to see! It and a mate were built for the General Motors Pavillion at the 1939 New York World's Fair. It was also used in the GM Parade of Progress as well.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

The prototype for Clearview 2000!

You know that I actually believed that joke for over an hour. I had to google it and then found out that it was a joke. I bought the old magazine at a swap meet and was really excited to learn of a cool product. I was already planning to use some to clear a couple bodies of detailed Moebius Chryslers.