Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prostar to Cat conversion

In Australia, we have the Prostar, but under the name or Banner if you like of the Cat Group, so I decided to have a go at building an Aussie version, here is the grill, badge and front bar so far, on the Aussie version they have a square tank and no side flaring,also have to scratch the hood 1/4 guards

post-5672-0-07682200-1418460414_thumb.jp

post-5672-0-06539700-1418460535_thumb.jp

Edited by Tony Bryan

Interesting, what is under the hood of the Cat versions?

They are fitted with a C15, I'll chop the max force and scratch the head of a C15 to make it look close

Well now this is neat! I also find the CT610 interesting as it uses the IH extended cab; wonder if there is a small bed back there or more seating?

In Australia we don't lounge around, the sleeper is just that a sleeper, it has a bunk in it

Interesting, in the US we have some CAT trucks built on the IH chassis, but they have a completely different hood. I haven't seen one that is basically just a rebadged Prostar.

NewCats1.jpg

Nice work so far, the grill looks great.

post-5672-0-29416800-1418502959_thumb.jp

As you can see Aaron it is very prostar, but the subtle differences are no side skirt, square tanks, no international badging, different front bar, etc,

The US version is ugly, but easy to build if someone wanted to have a go, mod the prostar cab and scratch the hood

Tony, that is one cool looking truck....I really like the way they do the tanks on it......I busted up laughing :D about what you said about the US Cat branded truck being ugly......Because I was thinking the SAME thing......It's definitely ugly, but it looks the part.....It has the look of just plain good old brute force....And for that reason, it will sell.....That and it's a CAT.....But that Aussie version looks AWESOME.....I can't wait to see how this build goes.....I'll be watching this one for sure....

From what I've read, for EPA regulations the US market Cat trucks use the International MaxxForce engines painted Cat yellow. With Caterpillar leaving the highway engine market a few years back, they don't have an engine that is emissions compliant for highway use. By partnering with Navistar, they saved a lot of R&D on their end to get back in the highway market. I can't speak for what powers the ones down under, but they're much better looking for sure. I like the rebadge approach better than the tacking an ugly hood onto a Paystar approach.

From what I've read, for EPA regulations the US market Cat trucks use the International MaxxForce engines painted Cat yellow. With Caterpillar leaving the highway engine market a few years back, they don't have an engine that is emissions compliant for highway use. By partnering with Navistar, they saved a lot of R&D on their end to get back in the highway market. I can't speak for what powers the ones down under, but they're much better looking for sure. I like the rebadge approach better than the tacking an ugly hood onto a Paystar approach.

Funny, modelers have been painting non-Cat engines yellow for years. Now Cat is doing it too. :lol:

• 6 months later...