Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Ford Starliner mild custom

geetee66

Here’s my latest, the AMT ’60 Ford Starliner.

I lowered the suspension, filled the antenna hole in the front wing. MCG PE details were used, but I didn’t use the PE grille, as you need to buy separate headlight buckets, from Modelhaus or somewhere else…

Thanks MCG. That cost me $20 and it was all but useless. Why not include resin buckets in with the PE set? I mean, how much more would it cost?

Anyway, I replaced the dash switches and the dials. I flocked the carpets and wired the engine.

Wheels are from Pegasus and I made the exhaust system from lead solder, with polished aluminium Bellflowers.

I made the antenna, too, after seeing a similar one in reference photos. I thought it looked quite period-correct.

Paint was silver base, with silver flake on top, followed by purple candy and more clear.

The downside to all this paint, is that the panel lines disappeared in places, so a lot of the BMF had to be done by eye, with a steady hand. I was sweating bullets.

The pattern was masked with some of that greeting-card craft border. The self-adhesive stuff.

Er…I think that’s it.

Here are the pics, comments welcome:

c527238a-3f23-4da7-94a5-69c9328da803_zps

IMG_7964_zpsf6869eef.jpg

IMG_7966_zpsb344289b.jpg

IMG_7974_zpsfa9aefdb.jpg

Even though I used lots of artificial light, the purple didn't really come out strongly in the photos. Believe me, it really pops in the sun!

This kind of custom is not my cup of tea, but WOW, I loved the quality of the build!!! Slight weathering on the botton, and the engine detail is great.

Also agreed on the PE set for this car. I got one for using with a Starliner kit I got from Round 2 and the only way I imagined of using the grille is by cutting the headlight buckets from the original kit grille with a Dremel tool.

This kind of custom is not my cup of tea, but WOW, I loved the quality of the build!!! Slight weathering on the botton, and the engine detail is great.

Also agreed on the PE set for this car. I got one for using with a Starliner kit I got from Round 2 and the only way I imagined of using the grille is by cutting the headlight buckets from the original kit grille with a Dremel tool.

I did think about cutting out the kit headlights and trying to use them, but it's a lot of work for a very small effect.

I put a black wash over the kit grille and found it looked very good. I doubt the PE grille would've been a significant improvement...

Thanks for the comments, guys

Wow! That paintjob is awesome! How have you made that silver lines?

Thanks everyone

Dominik, I used self-adhesive decorative border patterns, normally used for greeting-cards. You can find them in craft shops.

I applied them before I sprayed the candy purple. It's important to let the paint harden before you remove the mask. Candy paint seems to want to peel away with the masking pattern if it's a bit soft.

• 2 months later...