Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DBS "Carbon Black"

ferrari87

Hi guys. With my R-33 nearly wrapped up, I'm going to be working on my next model, Tamiya's Aston Martin DBS. However, I'm not only in love with the DBS (and it's evil sister, the DBR9S) but specifically, the Carbon Black Edition. It sported a gorgeous black paint (typically, I HATE black paint jobs, they hide the beauty of the car), special gloss black diamond turned wheels, and enough carbon fiber trim to resink the Titanic.

Anyway, away we go!

post-14656-0-57489700-1418512626_thumb.j

post-14656-0-37532200-1418512628_thumb.j

post-14656-0-96694900-1418512713_thumb.j

the rims will need cleaning up AND after test fitting the tires, the rims are not only too wide, but they are not big enough for the rubber. There is just a very small gap between rim and tire, it's hardly noticeable, but it does allow some "play" in the tire and rim. SO, I will have to attach a piece of styrene around the rim to widen its diameter.

post-14656-0-25420200-1418512715_thumb.j

post-14656-0-24674300-1418512716_thumb.j

four nasty mold lines dominate the sides of the car. Thankfully, the rear ones run down the B pillar and across the ducktail spoiler, the front ones run down the A pillar and into the headlight assembly. Those'll have to go!

post-14656-0-22032000-1418512847_thumb.j

post-14656-0-28088100-1418512848_thumb.j

and for the PE, Hobby Design.

post-14656-0-31946900-1418512849_thumb.j

post-14656-0-37772700-1418512923_thumb.j

And the whole build:

post-14656-0-76855500-1418512924_thumb.j

Not pictured is the Scale Motorsport 1/24 twill weave carbon fiber sheets.

Edited by ferrari87

Thanks Scott and Curtis! I look forward to both of your future input! The color is going to be Tamiya TS-40, Metallic Black.

Here are some excellent source photos, first of a Carbon Black and then of a base DBS at the car wash.

A few updates for the first day:

Except the easily lost little ones, parts were cut from the sprue and cleaned up. I did a very small mock-up and the parts almost snap together. Tamiya did leave a peculiar piece of, it is on the trunk just under the ducktail spoiler. The front bumper and this piece will be permanently attached tomorrow (or maybe Monday).

The mold lines were removed, they looked bad and are still visible but they have been sanded smooth. Then the body was washed in Dawn dish soap to remove any mold lubricant/oil/whatever-its-called and then wetsanded. Finally, the rims were cleaned up and now look respectable, although they will still need some attention.

post-14656-0-70442700-1418525590_thumb.j

post-14656-0-27377400-1418525591_thumb.j

post-14656-0-00838400-1418525593_thumb.j

post-14656-0-16071200-1418525595_thumb.j

post-14656-0-72438800-1418525596_thumb.j

Chris, it looks like a great kit. Just the mock up almost snapped in place. So far I've only tangoed with the brakes and boy are they challenging yet fun. The rims are all different widths, so I've matched them up to the tires and will make the necessary modifications later. Also, I will have to modify the mounting point for the brass male connectors as it is too deep and doesn't allow the wheel to attach. I'll cover that when I get to it. Anyway, here are the awesome brake rotors compared to the stock plastic ones.

post-14656-0-13266500-1418541094_thumb.j

post-14656-0-04633200-1418541096_thumb.j

post-14656-0-58317000-1418541097_thumb.j

post-14656-0-17159200-1418541099_thumb.j

post-14656-0-78581500-1418541099_thumb.j

Total, it took me short of 2 hours to complete the front rotors. I made a small mistake on one, you have to attach a separate piece of PE for the actual rotor face. Well, I didn't realize that the holes are actually holes and some CA leaked through. I tried to wipe it up as best I could but I still have to weather the rotors to look used, no rotors look brand new so they'll need brake marks.

Anyway, that's all for tonight.

Great project... I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the HD wheels. I bought some for mine, but gave up on them when I couldn't make 'em fit the tires at all. In the end I bought some FG Model wheels, which were ace, and the right size. I don't know how available they are these days:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10180875

This is my take on the "Carbon Black":

high-front-left-quarter-hero.jpg

It's done with Zero Paints. The base coat is a plain satin black, but I stirred a small amount of real graphite powder (used as lubricant and from a hardware store) into it before spraying. Then I rubbed the base coat with an old T-shirt to shine it up slightly, and finally hit it with the clear coat, which I tinted with black as well. So it's a real "Hotblack Desiato" number in black with black highlights over black... Hence the rather brighter interior -- which is a real option, by the way:

interior-done-1.jpg

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Matt that's awesome!! I think that's maranello orange if I'm not mistaken. I'll be opting for obsidian black. Most likely I will be using XF-63 (Tamiya german grey) but I may use a darkened version of this as I don't think flat black nor german grey truly gets the color right.

As for the wheels, I'm contemplating on cutting out the pattern and fixing them to the kit supplied outer rim. That's plan B after beefing up the outer diameter with thin sheets of styrene. Right now, the rims are "female" and come with brass pieces to convert them to "male." Right now, the part of the rim the brass pieces sit it are too deep and contact the brake rotors, so they will have to be shaved down to allow proper clearance for the brake rotors. I have a suspicion that this car will become a "don't pick that up!" car. Once she's done with her post-completion photoshoot in under construction diorama, I think it's off to a display case.

To answer the FG rims issue, the link you supplied says, laughably, "long sold out." LOL. That answers that. Worst case scenario, I simply use aftermarket rims of my choice.

Today I focused on a slightly less tedious part of the car, the interior. The only thing that really tested my patience was the DBS logos for the seats. The driver seat decided to fall out of the tweezers and onto the shoulder of the seat, that glue and since been cleaned off. The passenger seat, you can still see the nubs from the sprue. I apparently didn't file off enough. That was the first one I did and I was hesitant to file it as it was so small! The second one filed ok, but I was so scared it would fall and I would lose it. Also, the center console air vents gave me fits until I figured out I had to remove the molded plastic from the dashboard that replicated the original vent and the piece that allows you to aim the vents up and down.

Anyway, I still have yet to add the gauge bezel but I don't know if thats before or after the decals and painting...

post-14656-0-32684500-1418609307_thumb.j

post-14656-0-61863600-1418609308_thumb.j

post-14656-0-58255000-1418609309_thumb.j

post-14656-0-01066400-1418609312_thumb.j

post-14656-0-24114800-1418609313_thumb.j

post-14656-0-26466100-1418609314_thumb.j

post-14656-0-23919300-1418609315_thumb.j

post-14656-0-05585000-1418609316_thumb.j

post-14656-0-29311000-1418609317_thumb.j

post-14656-0-12144100-1418609318_thumb.j

Thanks, Justin ... glad you like it! (The leather is "Madagascar Orange", IIRC, though it could be "California Poppy." Either way, it's a Vallejo colour!))

This is where I got mine from:

http://www.mediamixhobby.com.sg/shop/fg0004.html#.VI9VYsbzQWw

They've sold out of the set I used, but the above is an alternative DBS wheel set...

I assume you've had a play with this:

http://www.astonmartin.com/en/configure

No DBS any more, but the DB9 options give plenty of latitude, and the pictures you generate are invaluable, I found...

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

I did mess around on the site. It does give invaluable pictures and ideas of how the interiors are set up. Kinda sad that the DBS got the axe but there wasn't much room for it in their line-up.

Today I primed all the suspension bits as well as the body and hood. I also spent some time practicing on spare styrene, the metallic black looks amazing. I discovered two things that contributed to some nasty orange peel on my R-33. First, I use a 60 watt light bulb to assist in drying time. I found out that this contributes to the orange peel by causing the paint to dry too quickly. Second, using the clear coat I put too much on at one time and likely over did it, again causing the clear to dry at different times. I did however practice with a set of 3200-12000 grit wet sanding papers. I was able to sand out the orange peel from the test piece of styrene and using Novus 1 and 2, I was able to bring the paint back to a fantastic shine. So I was happy for the practice.

Anyway, I have to assemble the rear rotors and experiment with Model Masters metalizer paints...

post-14656-0-44191400-1418708293_thumb.j

Thomas, I believe that's what I am going to do. I plan on taking a long,thin rectangular piece of styrene and wrapping it around the outside on the rim. Hopefully, that will widen the rim to the necessary diameter, without causing the tire to bulge, either in the center of the tire, or at the sidewall where tire meets rim, causing a gap. If If I am further unhappy with the Hobby Design rims, I'm going to carefully cut the rim pattern out of both the stock wheels and the HD wheels then reattach the HD pattern into the stock rims. If that fails, then I'm going to look for a new set of rims.

Reading up on them, they need to be sprayed on bare plastic... I've already primed the underside of the car...i guess i'm stuck like chuck with using the metalizer aluminum for the underside. I originally planned on using them for the PE rotors but again not bare plastic. So unless metalizer works on metal, I'm going to use Modelmasters metallic gray for the rotors and flat black for the hubs.

Hi, Justin... you're right that those metal decals are a bit tricky... I had a real issue with them on the matt white coated inlet manifold. Having messed up the "6.0 litre" completely, I had to print out a replacement with a "fake" metallic tint. After that I got wary. If I remember rightly, if you look at the decal sheet, you can see that there are a few large areas of clear carrier film in some of the number plates that you aren't going to use. I ended up applying the metal decals to those clear areas, where you can rub them down hard, and then once they were stuck, cutting them out and applying like normal decals. That was essential with the other underbonnet markings on the matt white. Even though they'd probably "take" OK on the clearcoat gloss finish, putting them on with the film carrier allowed me a bit of wiggle room, and time, to position them exactly right, rather than having to commit immediately they touch down. As for the brakes, the disks are carbon ceramic -- I find that Humbrol 56 "Flat Aluminium" is a pretty good match, since you don't really want any kind of shiny metal look...

Hope this helps!

bestest,

M.

Last night I messed with the spare metal transfer you mentioned. One thing i did after placing it on my spare piece of styrene was lay down masking tape that had been folded in half to hide the tacky part, then layed it on top of the transfer and rubbed like hell. It stayed. But thats a differrent story than the Aston Martin and 6.0 V12 transfers. I'll be looking into the waterslide idea as well...

I fiddled with the rims today. I spent most of the morning mocking up the front end. First issue, the PE rotors are wider (measuring from the steering knuckle to the outside of the rotor hub- the part where the lugs stick out for the rim yo mount to) than the stock plastic rotors. Second issue, the HD rims and the supplied brass "male" connector sit further out using the stock rotors than the stock rims. SO...using the HD rims and PE rotos causes a significantly wider front end.

So to combat this, I cut away some material on the inside of the rim, allowing the brass "male" connector to sit closer to the area of the rim that it connects to. This solved most of my problem. The next issue, the round section of the brass connector, the part that looks like a hockey puck, is too thick. It needs to be shaved down to 3/4 of its size (i need to ax 1/4 of its thickness). That SHOULD solve my issues caused primarily with the thicker rotors.

I tested the clearance using both a stock rim and PE rotor and HD rim and PE rotor as well as HD rim and stock rotor.

Long story short, PE rotors and HD rims= wider wheelbase. So with a few mods to the rims and the male connector, this "should" be settled. I'll take pics tonight and hopefully you guys can help keep me straight on this or offer a better way!

Well, I cannot seem to get the rims to fit the tires, or clear the front fenders. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, I can risk screwing up the hobby design rims by trying to grind down the brass connectors, allowing the wheel to sit closer to the rotor and subsequently further inside the fender. If done successfully, the tire should clear the fender. :blink:

However, even with the fenders cleared, the tires still don't fit the rim. I've tried using tape, i've used thin styrene, nothing increases the rims diameter without causing the tires to separate from the rim at the lip, causing a very ugly- in my opinion it would ruin the model- gap between rim and rubber.

So, my gut feeling is to abandon the Hobby Design wheels and the Carbon Black edition.

I'm thinking about a pseudo-carbon edition, I've seen a Red DBS here, by Zoom Zoom, and I absolutely love it (then again, it is painted Ferrari Red)...

So what I'm thinking is to use the stock rims, the PE rotors and using TS-39 Mica Red for the basecoat. Additionally, I'll use the PE front grill and black it out, and then continue to use the Carbon Fiber where the Carbon Black would have it. It won't be a true Carbon Black, but it will be my spin on a car several of you have absolutely done an amazing job on.

Hey, if that takes the stress out of it and makes it enjoyable again, I say go for it!

Thanks mustang! That's my feeling because the frustration level reached today made me want to put the parts in sandwich baggies and shelve the DBS. However, I can't and won't quit. I feel like the optional rims were what made the Carbon Black stand out from a base DBS and without them, recreating the car to spec wouldn't be right, it would be a Carbon Black with the wrong rims. Instead, this will be my DBS. A blend of both base and Carbon Black and I think I can still do the DBS justice.

Edited by ferrari87

Sorry to hear that, but I'm not surprised -- I have a set of nicely painted HD DBS wheels in my spares box because I couldn't get them to fit the tyres acceptably no matter what I tried, either.

You could strip the "standard" wheels and do them in a nice dark graphite colour:

http://www.celebrityautogroup.com/vehicle-details/2010-aston-martin-dbs-coupe-6-speed-2-door-coupe-893b914c9bbcc744b43b2e9a7f1757e7/

That would be pretty stylish with a black body...

...or:

2014-Aston-Martin-DBS-Red.jpg

bestest,

M.

I'm with the mustang dude. If it's getting to be stressful and unenjoyable then it's not worth it. You absolutely can't go wrong with the red. Awesome look! To be honest......the Orange-ish one that is in Matt's pic is really cool too. Either way you should go the "enjoyable" route.

Maybe even set it aside for a bit and clear your head. Possibly start something else. You never know, you just might come up with an even better idea or find a solution to your Hobby Design wheel problem.

For me, taking a break from it is usually the best option. Kinda sucks cause you got a lot of time already into it but probably better than settling on something else. First instinct is usually the correct one. Just my two cents. Hope you don't mind.

Edited by Pizzwizz24

Matt, that orange is gorgeous, it's going to take some time to decide between that and the red! I'm definitely into the idea of stripping the rims of the chrome, I'll have to see how well Coke and oven cleaner work on some of the spare sprue...

Chris, Thanks man, I don't mind at all! You guys have helped with the flat spot I found myself in. I'm really looking forward to working on it some more. I'm still really digging the PE rotors, they look phenomenal.

All in all, I appreciate the help guys! I'm all for keeping the stress out of the hobby and step aside when things get a little rough. Sometimes it's best to stand back and take a wider look at what it is you are trying to do, rather than focus and stress over a very small piece of the project.

Stay tuned folks!

Edited by ferrari87