Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the most expensive kit you've ever bought?

I never pay full price. Most expensive model with a disount from Hobby Lobby was the reissued Monogram Big T. I think it was around $60.

Edit

I did put down some serious $ for this one on ebay, had to have it. I hate it and love it at the same time. My first 1/25 model was a '60 Edsel and until I found this I never thought I would see another. Ebay did the search for me and I got the winning bid!!! I wanted a '60 Ford back in 1960 and the Edsel is all they had left. It will get painted like my original. 40e1a4a0b024d27b56fe4dd0ffaed689.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

I'm not sure as I just like to forget what I pay for a kit as soon as possible but I did buy the Italeri/Tamiya Subaru WRC team combo kit in 2001/2002 (Scania 143 Streamliner truck, raceteamtrailer and Subaru Impreza WRC car in the same kit)

for about 1000 norwegian Kroner (about 140$US).

I also bought an Airtrax resinkit Mercedes Benz W111 fintail for 1000kroner and I got a 1965 Dodge D100 from Modelhaus last year that is priced at a 100$. I have several kits that I have paid I have paid about 500 kroner (about 70$US) for like the AMT Subaru Brat, Esci 1984 Ford Transit, Revell 1:16 Peterbilt, Revell 1:16 Chevy pickup and probably a quite a few others aswell.

But I like to remember the times when I have gotten something cheaper than normally, like when I back in 2005 managed to get the Heller 1:16 Citroen DS from Ebay seller in England for 17£ inluding shipping and the Union (ex Heller) 1:20 Renault 16 for 9$ plus 15$ shipping and one of the first kits that I bought was from a kid that lived on my street (I was about 12 and he was maybe 8), he had gotten a Monogram 40 Ford pickup from his uncle as a present but didn't like the fact that the car was in bits so he sold it to me for 20 kroner (wich today is about 3$). He was really happy because he could go of and buy candy and I was even more happy because I had just bought a kit at a very good price. Normal storeprice for a kit in Norway at the time was 150-200 kroner.

I have several times bought kits cheaply on Ebay because the seller had miss spelled the name (Like Cevrolet) or put it under the wrong category (easy to spot if you search in All Categories for Revell 1957 Chevrolet and you get 1 result in Clothing).

The most i have paid was 225.00 for a sealed BJ and the bear truck kit, i was going to open it after i read some stuff on here about old kits, but i don't think i will.

I sold that kit on Ebay a couple years ago, two guys were fighting for it. It sold for 450.00! Then, the guy that was outbid emailed me asking if I had another. I did but it was not sealed. He paid 250.00 for that one!

This. Not a car, short run, 1/72 long out of production. Had resin cast landing gear with air bubbles so bad that half the struts aren't even there. Still glad I have it though, just working & hoping to find gear for it.

KMC727SA_zpsd8ec05bd.jpg

Find someone to draw those landing gear up in 3D and then send the drawing to Shapeways to be printed in their FUD material (Frosted Ultra Detail). I just had some dozer tracks done and they turned out incredible!

The most expensive for me was a 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet promo. This is the rarest Mopar promo and since I owned a few 1:1 Valiants I needed it. I have an eBay search agent on that and they only come up once a year or so. I paid $450 for it.

Then again, I've paid more than that for a rare item for my stamp collection!

well now that I think about it, ive put down way more than what I paid for the Uncertain T, for the Tamiya 1/12 Caterham seven for one (probably 280 or so):

10002135.jpg

and the Tamiya Lola, I think I paid close to 250 before it was reissued (with extra PE parts grrr):

lola1.jpg

jb

I did put down some serious $ for this one on ebay, had to have it. I hate it and love it at the same time. My first 1/25 model was a '60 Edsel and until I found this I never thought I would see another. Ebay did the search for me and I got the winning bid!!! I wanted a '60 Ford back in 1960 and the Edsel is all they had left. It will get painted like my original. 40e1a4a0b024d27b56fe4dd0ffaed689.jpg

The most expensive kit I have so far is the Moebius Lonestar, which was right around $90 but it was a Christmas gift from my friends so doesn't really count. ;)

Most expensive kit I've purchased brand new is (so far) a Trumpeter Falcon, which was around $45 IIRC. I have a feeling I'll be laying down the cash fora Meng F-350 one of these days soon, though.

Most expensive OOP kit I've purchased was an unbuilt AMT 62 F-100. The body, chassis, and engine were painted but nothing else assembled. I paid around $55 for that one.

Do you feel comfortable telling us what you paid for it? I got one of these in roughly the same shape, (not quite as nice) for about $40.00 a year or two ago. Steve

Numerous Lance Sellers 1/25 resin Indy car kits at $110 a piece. Most for plastic , $100 for a sealed Hot Shot monogram midget a year ago. Most for large scale ,$50 for a Toro Rosso F1 car, 1/8 Scale off Craigslist. I really want to build the 1/8 car, just need to find space and time.

Most expensive kit I've bought would have to be the Amt Impala supersport set for $30. I usually don't spend more than $14 for a single kit.

Gee i would love to be where you are, i don't buy of the computer, usually only locally, but a few weeks ago i saw 1/25 kits in my local toy store for $25, so i brought 8 of them, as that is HALF PRICE!!

A regular price for a kit here in Tasmania (AUS) is between $42-50, unless it is something special, and that will bring them up to $80-90 each.