Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Fireball Roberts Southern 500 winner

MarkJ

• 1 month later...

My dad often recalled being at the Charlotte race that day.Ā  From his vantage point on the opposite side of the track he recalled seeing the fireball erupt and subsequent black smoke.Ā  It wasn't until later of being announced that Roberts was involved that he knew it was far more serious than initially reported.Ā  That by chance wouldn't be the same color that Leeroy Yarborough painted his #12Ā 66 Charger sponsored by Jon Thorne would it?Ā Ā Ā Great Build.Ā 

My dad often recalled being at the Charlotte race that day.Ā  From his vantage point on the opposite side of the track he recalled seeing the fireball erupt and subsequent black smoke.Ā  It wasn't until later of being announced that Roberts was involved that he knew it was far more serious than initially reported.Ā  That by chance wouldn't be the same color that Leeroy Yarborough painted his #12Ā 66 Charger sponsored by Jon Thorne would it?Ā Ā Ā Great Build.Ā 

I've heard thatĀ he used the same color but when IĀ look at pictures of the charger

it looks a littleĀ darker. Thanks, Chuck I really appreciate your input.

Edited by MarkJ

• 3 years later...

I know its been a while since this thread was active, but hoping maybe you might still be hooked up to it Mark...

First of all, the build it beyond awesome! Especially since you made your own decals! I'm in the process of building this one and you have given me something to shoot for!

Question: I see the red where the window line used to be...IĀ  know thats accurate...my question is did you paint the entire interior red or black? Satin or flat?

Thanks!

23 hours ago, mgtate55@att.net said:

I know its been a while since this thread was active, but hoping maybe you might still be hooked up to it Mark...

First of all, the build it beyond awesome! Especially since you made your own decals! I'm in the process of building this one and you have given me something to shoot for!

Question: I see the red where the window line used to be...IĀ  know thats accurate...my question is did you paint the entire interior red or black? Satin or flat?

Thanks!

To tell you the truth , Mike. I dont remember. I think I probably just took a small brush and a bottle of guard red acrylic and went around the opeming. i believe there is a story about why that car was red there and I think it had something to do with maybe Curtis turner drove the car as #26 in usacĀ  and the whole car was red when he drove it but when they repainted it it only stayed red around the window openings.

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, mgtate55@att.net said:

Thanks for the reply Mark! I just now saw it...2 more questions...2. Where did you get the oil cooler? 2 . Care to share how you did the exhaust underneath? I know it goes through the side of the car, just not sure how you did the chassis...thanks!!!

Thanks, Mike. the oil cooler is scratchbuilt from styrene sheet and rod made by evergreen. Thankfully hobby lobby is now selling it again. I'm not sure where IĀ posted the wip on this build. If it was at randy ayers old site or scale auto it is gone. If i remember correctly I had to remove the molded in exhaust and cover the voids with styrene sheet and putty and then install new exhaust using evergreen tubing. . you have to remove the area where rear seat passengers put their feet and replace it with sheet styrene so the pipe can go through the frame . But dont try to drill a hole through the frame just butt the pipe up to the frame on one side and thenĀ  continue the pipe through the frame on the other side by butting it up as well . It looks like its actually going throughĀ the frame but its a lot easier to do it that way .Ā  just cut a hole in the body where the pipe comes through andĀ  shape it as an oval,Ā  like the real car had it. Thats about it. I found a picture of the 1963 21 ford on its side for reference for the exhaust. If I can find it I will post it here.

10 hours ago, mgtate55@att.net said:

Yes Mark! Extremely helpful! Thanks so much for the help...your build is absolutely top notch! I can only hope mine looks a fraction as good as yours! Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

You're welcome, Mike . Looking forward to seeing your build. You have aĀ  great Christmas too.

18 hours ago, mgtate55@att.net said:

Hey Mark...question...would you be interested in selling a set of your decals for this build? I have a set of yesterdayā€™s but they are coming apart, plus, your fonts are spot on...name your price!!!!

Mike, I would have to reformat my sheets to make only enough so IĀ would only have to use 2Ā  8.5 x11 sheets. One sheet for color decals and the other for the white underlays. When i was making inkjet decals I would put extra images on the sheets so if IĀ messed one up, IĀ would have spares, but if i sold them, IĀ wouldn't worry about making extra images . It would be up to the purchaser not to mess up. As far as price goes, I guess IĀ need to find how much I have to spend for the paper, toner, fixatent and postage to send them and then add a percentage for labor.Ā  Let me get back to you. If you dont want to do white underlays I cant help you. So let me know up front about that. Its the only way I can print white decals with my laser printer.Ā 

great build. Fireball was my hero back then. I too would like to see NASCAR go back to it's roots. The only problem I see is None of todays drivers, and I do mean none, could compete. they're just not strong enough. Took a lot of upper body strength to man handle those cars, plus a great deal of internal strength that todays bunch just don't have.Ā Ā 

18 hours ago, lucky 130 said:

great build. Fireball was my hero back then. I too would like to see NASCAR go back to it's roots. The only problem I see is None of todays drivers, and I do mean none, could compete. they're just not strong enough. Took a lot of upper body strength to man handle those cars, plus a great deal of internal strength that todays bunch just don't have.Ā Ā 

Thanks, Michael. Yeah IĀ think most of the new crowd need power steering. Probably Newman and Harvick could Ā handle the vintage cars of the sixtys and a few others that I cant think of for the moment. Oh yeah, IĀ completely forgot aboutĀ  Sheldon Creed. That dude is in the mold of a Newman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

hello, sir. I've been attempting to identify the logo from the pillar there that looks to be a pelican or some kinda fancy bird in a suit. I've noticed it made your model, so I thought to reach out and ask. any information on this logo/brand are greatly appreciatedĀ 

20 hours ago, povanator said:

hello, sir. I've been attempting to identify the logo from the pillar there that looks to be a pelican or some kinda fancy bird in a suit. I've noticed it made your model, so I thought to reach out and ask. any information on this logo/brand are greatly appreciatedĀ 

cmpova, that is the logo for Old Crow bourbon or whisky. It is also on the middle of the dash. I don't think it was a sponsor of the car. I just think Fireball liked drinking it, but that's just a guess on my part. Maybe a Nascar historian on here with better searching the web skills can find an answer for why the logo is on the car. I could never find out. But I had to add it to the build. Thanks for your interest in the build.

Edited by MarkJ