Model Cars Magazine Forum
MarkJ

1963 Fireball Roberts Southern 500 winner

I saw the real thing at the Joe weatherly museum on Darlington in 1966 I was 14 at that time outstanding build

Thanks, Billy. You must have done some digging to find this one. It was a fun build.

My dad often recalled being at the Charlotte race that day.  From his vantage point on the opposite side of the track he recalled seeing the fireball erupt and subsequent black smoke.  It wasn't until later of being announced that Roberts was involved that he knew it was far more serious than initially reported.  That by chance wouldn't be the same color that Leeroy Yarborough painted his #12 66 Charger sponsored by Jon Thorne would it?   Great Build. 

My dad often recalled being at the Charlotte race that day.  From his vantage point on the opposite side of the track he recalled seeing the fireball erupt and subsequent black smoke.  It wasn't until later of being announced that Roberts was involved that he knew it was far more serious than initially reported.  That by chance wouldn't be the same color that Leeroy Yarborough painted his #12 66 Charger sponsored by Jon Thorne would it?   Great Build. 

I've heard that he used the same color but when I look at pictures of the charger

it looks a little darker. Thanks, Chuck I really appreciate your input.

Edited by MarkJ