Model Cars Magazine Forum

LSR Project - Updated Pics - 3-16

Codi

Thanks Thomas........this one was supposed to have been painted and finished by now this summer......but I got knee deep on the Mustang funny car engine and time has slipped by.  I want to get to this in a couple weeks along with the Falcon body mods (another build that is a MUST this summer to get jump started on)  as our weather in Pa. has been HOT...........pretty humid, but HOT.   Appreciate your interest and for the kind comments on it.  I feel like a one handed paper hanger right now.  cheers, tim

I understand your situation totally Tim.  I've got 7 model cars I have built to gift my best friends from work.  I had intended to give them to them last December but got behind.  The weather in Iowa has been way too humid to spray paint outside and i have till next Saturday(8/13) for the ideal window to present them to my buds.  Each represents a street machine they own or one of the cars from "Street Outlaws" that fit their personalities.  My way of a  retirement present to them to say "Thank You" for all their years of friendship.  When I finish them, I will post pix.

Thank you Thomas and John.  I'm considering pulling this one out this coming week and prepping it for final paint. It has been too humid to paint right now but I can get it ready at least for when we get a break for a couple days.  cheers, tim

• 1 year later...

It's been several years since I originally posted this project.   After the demise of Henry and the Bantam approaching the finish line (I'm doing the steering link currently) I wanted to get one done.  The Bantam will take me 6 more months at the rate I'm going so it won't be done till Labor Day......HOPEFULLY.    When I started this car there was one thing I wasn't wild about, that being the wheel fairings.  As you can see by the pic on page one, they're flat on top because I couldn't figure out a way to make them properly curved/rounded.  Spent about 10 or so hours this week trying a couple new techniques and stumbled across one that I think will work.  I took brass tube, cut it down the middle and put small relief cuts (so it wouldn't crimp when formed) every 5mm.  I came across a carabiner at the hardware store that had a shape similar to the original fairings.  I annealed the brass and formed it over the carbiner while tapping the sides down with a forming hammer.  After a bit of shaping with files I  sweat soldered some brass sheet over the sides and cleaned it up.  The sample brass fairing is not the correct size obviously but it gave me an idea of what it would look like on the car. This is what I wanted all along.  So I'm figuring on a week of work to make all 4 fairings (the fronts are a bit smaller than the rears) and move ahead to finish it.   Comments welcome, Cheers....tim

Raw materials used to make the top portion

image.jpeg.ea7817dd2098bb8adae5100805b09a6e.jpeg

image.jpeg.45882effe76f6fa65e68faafdc48840a.jpeg

Here you can really see the difference of the two designs

image.jpeg.fccfc571bb822bbdf7af7d9b0afb0109.jpeg

image.jpeg.88982d598172873a0e269e1917c82841.jpeg

image.jpeg.63d74e42df7339665d18f9792b8afa15.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Codi

• 2 months later...

Rick & John, thanks guys.........this is one I truly one to finish, I think when all is done on the car it would look pretty cool.  I'm thinking of finishing it "Teresi" style, meaning fast & nice.  4 weeks max.  cheers

Bill, yeah, it looks short because it was just an exercise on how to fabricate it.  As noted above, I mentioned it wasn't the right size but it did proof out for me that I can make it using the method I came up with.  btw, I painted it black to show it's flaws so I could see what else might need to be done but it turned out perfectly.   Encouraged to do 4 new ones to wrap up this car now.   cheers ! 

1 hour ago, Codi said:

Rick & John, thanks guys.........this is one I truly one to finish, I think when all is done on the car it would look pretty cool.  I'm thinking of finishing it "Teresi" style, meaning fast & nice.  4 weeks max.  cheers

Bill, yeah, it looks short because it was just an exercise on how to fabricate it.  As noted above, I mentioned it wasn't the right size but it did proof out for me that I can make it using the method I came up with.  btw, I painted it black to show it's flaws so I could see what else might need to be done but it turned out perfectly.   Encouraged to do 4 new ones to wrap up this car now.   cheers ! 

Gotcha.

And I have NO DOUBTS you have the skils to and will pull this off

I gots to admit. Ive never been a huge fan of LSR cars. But this thing is wicked cool. Love the cockpit design

Tim... I just love this build. Ot is going to be so awesome when done. Awesome fabrication on your test pieces. Is there anything you can't make..;) Cheers!! Seeing this has me thinking of a couple LSR cars I have been on the back of my mind that I would like to build one day.