Model Cars Magazine Forum

`54 GMC Surburban: Almost ready for assembly

We have a `54 GMC Surburban shop-truck and I wanted to replicate it. Unfortunately I was only able to find a `51 and yes, I know there are some differences, but thats OK. This is going to sit on a shelf in my shops office so it's not being built to a contest standard!

25436046605129-vi.jpg

Cheapie die cast 1/25 I picked up on e-Bay for a few bucks.

Image12-vi.jpg

Image13-vi.jpg

I managed to obtain some of the actual paint they used on his truck. It's a House of Color pearl orange w/ black fenders.

Image14-vi.jpg

Quick, fun project I hope to knock-out fast. :D

Edited by FASTBACK340

I was one of those "airbrushes are too much trouble" guys years ago. Let me tell you something, once you get a routine (and it's NOT that involved….) the difference is like using a crayon or a nice Cross pen. I blew this on in 15 minutes. I'll mask the fenders in the morning, blow on the black, then clear it Sunday night, maybe Monday morning before work.

Image15-vi.jpg

Image15-vi.jpg

Image16-vi.jpg

The 1:1 looks awesome.....Can't wait to see what you do with this thing....Great work already.....Nice that you were able to find the original paint....

I asked the painter if there was a little paint leftover from when they did it. He said they have 3 gallons left over……. :o

He siphoned-off 2 oz. for me. ;)

More updates! I'm making up for lost time….. ;)

Last night before bed I painted the stock steel wheels from the Galaxie `49 Chevy kit.

Image17-vi.jpg

This morning I decided to clear-coat the pearl orange first for two reasons: The first being the black I have is gloss, so no sense in a double-clear/gloss. The second being after I mask-off the fenders I can blow on a light coat of clear against the edge of the tape to give me a razor sharp separation line.

Image19-vi.jpg

In a few minutes I'm dropping on 2 more light coats…..

Image20-vi.jpg

Hopefully this will go together quickly. All it has to do is look good up on a shelf, not scrutinized. More updates to follow!

Gotta love lacquer….. Masked the body, hit the fender seems with clear, and blew on some black. Barring a crisis, I'm done with the majority of this build. A little bare metal work, re-assemble the trim I removed, and pop the new rims & tires on. Park it in a display case and done.

Image25-vi.jpg

Image24-vi.jpg

Why can't I get black to lay down like this on a contest build?

Image23-vi.jpg

I'll peel off the mask tomorrow and it must go together Tuesday. Think I got this….. ;)

And here's the body with the masking removed.

Image2-vi.jpg

Image3-vi.jpg

I'm so pleased with how nice this is turning out. It's only meant to be in a display case on a shelf in an office. A quick surprise build for my Boss. His office is full of Die Cast, Vintage gas powered tether cars, and memorabilia (He just bought a 60's vintage Texaco gas pump for the reception area). A replica of his truck he'll appreciate.

I'm doing this because aside from having a cool job, he's a really cool guy who's becoming a friend that happens to be my Boss. The party he threw last weekend at his house for us shows he cares. Just returning the gesture….. -_-

Thanks Randy for the kind words. I can't believe I was able to prime on Friday night, color coat yesterday afternoon, clear this morning, and mask and paint the fenders this afternoon. And it looks really good considering I my limited airbrush experience. The HOK paint went on sooooo nice in my cheapie Badger brush and my knocking and rattling old compressor.

I'm not touching a THING tonight as I'll assemble it tomorrow night, and can go into Tuesday if necessary. Just need to pick up a display case at my LHS (conveniently…) near my shop (Extreme Hobbies on Dear Park Ave.) and either see what we have or go to Staples and have the shop logo made for the background of the case.

You'll see….. :)