Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amazing that these even flew..

Looks like a ladder with 100 lbs of jet fuel strapped to it!!

Even more amazing is that these weren't jet-fuel-burning turbines like most helos are today, but gasoline-burning flat-six-cylinder aircraft engines standing on end. Much less power for their weight than turbines.

Nice. Two things, run a bead of paint along the edges of the door openings, there were frames there, also, the MASH decals are actually incorrect for this bird, it is a Bell Sioux H-13H, the bird in MASH is a H-13D. a bit differently shaped canopy and single fuel tank, and straight tube skids. MRC has a correct MASH era bird. The H-13H was used in Vietnam.

Even more amazing is that these weren't jet-fuel-burning turbines like most helos are today, but gasoline-burning flat-six-cylinder aircraft engines standing on end. Much less power for their weight than turbines.

Worked on these in the British Army, the Siuox AH.1 (Bell 47G-3B 1) Powered by a Lycoming TVO435 of about 270 bhp. I have driven cars with more powerful engines. I recall that the thing was held together with P clips and Pal nuts, a kind of pressed steel locking but that you had to fight all the way on and off. Most of them were inacessible too, so I developed a set of ambidextrous skills that still serve me well today.

Speaking of the Lycoming six cylinder- wasn't that tucker's airplane engine?

greg

Tucker's engine was based on the Franklin 0-335, an engine developed to power the Bell 47. Unfortunately Tucker bought the company and cancelled all the aeronautical work to free up production capacity for the Torpedo. The rest, they say, is history.