Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Upc Ford Gt40

colin

I found an old UPC 1/16 Ford GT40 kit on E-bay a while back. Just dug it out of the box about a week ago, what a disappointment. It is more toy than model. Decided to measure it up and give it a shot anyway. The first and most glaring error was how flat sided it was when viewed from the top. The rear deck has to be widened by 8 scale inches over the centerline of the rear wheels. The front/nose has to be widened by 5 scale inches. I tackled the rear deck first and this is the outcome (still in primer).

P1020178.jpg

As you can see it is really flat sided.

P1020231.jpg

Now I have to tackle the front end.

I would like to hear from anyone who may have previously built this model and see your final results.

I think the box this model came in should carry the same proviso that movies are required "Any similarity between persons (in this case model) living or dead is purely coincidental.

I finally finished the front and rear decks to the piont where I can start looking at the chassis and interior. The first thing I have to do is reconstruct/modify the rear bulkhead. Then, throw away the engine and transaxle, design and build a rear suspension, create a complete new interior. This was not percieved as a lifelong challenge.

P1020291.jpg

The instrument cluster is too far to center and is completely the wrong shape. The door sills are too wide, this I guess was to accomodate the batteries for the motor. The seats are too narrow and completely the wrong shape.

P1020288.jpg

The whole rear of the chasis needs to be reworked. To start with, the bracket that holds the rear deck is at the wrong angle and the deck does not fit square to the chassis behind the rear bulkhead. Because this model employed an electric motor, the engine and transaxle need to be scrubbed. I am going to use a 1:16 289 block out of an AMT '65' Mustang kit. I will have to construct a gearbox and the accompanying suspension.

i take it you *really really* like GT40s?

whew that looks like an incredible lot of work.

gotta hand it to you though, looks great so far!

I really really like GT40's

P1010245.jpg

This one (a real one, not a replica) belongs to a friend in Atlanta and on the odd occassion I get to drive it. This is only one of three built by Ford. I think it is appraised in the 7 figure category. I also got to drive a Superformance continuation GT40 with a Roush big block with 565hp at Road Atlanta. It took a week to get the stupid grin off my face.

Edited by colin

Excellent bodywork Colin!! :P

The sides both look symmetrical to me! Not always an easy task especially with curves involved.

Fujimi did the same thing BTW with their '69 GT-40 Gulf cars................the 1:1's have very "bulged" front and rear fenders that to my eyes seem a little flat on the kit. It appears that they used basically the same body as the earlier 427 cars I guess to save on tooling costs.

For us purists though, it's a real pain in the tush to make 'em accurate! :P

I've got a 1/24 Lemans Miniatures '69 Gulf GT-40 that I started a few years ago but gave up on because the resin was giving me trouble. I should start that one again sometime since now I have some resin experience under my belt. :P

Keep us posted on the progress!

Excellent bodywork Colin!! B)

The sides both look symmetrical to me! Not always an easy task especially with curves involved.

Fujimi did the same thing BTW with their '69 GT-40 Gulf cars................the 1:1's have very "bulged" front and rear fenders that to my eyes seem a little flat on the kit. It appears that they used basically the same body as the earlier 427 cars I guess to save on tooling costs.

For us purists though, it's a real pain in the tush to make 'em accurate! ;)

I've got a 1/24 Lemans Miniatures '69 Gulf GT-40 that I started a few years ago but gave up on because the resin was giving me trouble. I should start that one again sometime since now I have some resin experience under my belt. :)

Keep us posted on the progress!

Thanks Bill, appreciate the support. I have never tackled anything this major, even I am surprised at how well it is going. Still, I have ample time for a major screw-up in which case it will get relegated to the back burner for a long long time.

Changes to chassis. Stock kit chassis is on the left, new modified chassis on the right.

chassischanges.jpg

The parts that have been removed will form a new engine bay for the 289 dry sumped engine and gearbox, New rear crossmember will have to be fabricated along with engine mounts and rear suspension

This looks terrific so far. I'm really keen to see how far you are going to take this kit. Will the model be light blue with orange stripes in the end?

I haven't decided yet. Originally it was bought to do the Canadian Comstock Racing Team GT40 that ran at Sebring in '66'. There are so many cool gt40's to choose from, it seems a shame to just paint it white. I have seen a dark blue one (#9) with orange/red trim that appeals. It will be awhile before I have to make that decision, besides, it will keep everyone in suspense:-)

• 6 months later...

I built the 1/16 GT early in my venture into modeling. I did mine box stock and that thing wont fit together to save its life. Neither the front nor rear will sit well.

I also tried one of the Lemans Miniatures resin cars mentioned above. It was so bad that I had to graft a lot of parts from a Fujimi kit to finish it off and much was just left out.

the lemans kit with fujimi parts

DSC_0595-vi.jpg

IMC kits - I had to use a lot of brass rod to get things to stay somewhat together

DSC_0585-vi.jpg

I think this was the third car I built. Not much fits on this one. It was a restoration.

DSC_0577-vi.jpg

I dont even have picts of the Bandi kit as I could not get it to stay together long enough to photo it.

It was fashioned after the early versions of the car that were very flat sided.

DJ

• 1 month later...
Anymore updates on this GT40 project Colin? Are you still going to cast some resin pieces?

I will be getting back to it very soon. I have two 300SL's to complete first.

I will be casting some GT40 pieces. Once I get the rear deck to fit properly I will be casting it.