Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

Jason Hoods are very hard to cast and stay flat. They have no structure help them stay flat after the poor. Kind of why you do not see cars with large flat panels without a curve or a body line in them. I do like the deep dish rims better on your car. The roll cage looks killer .

I am jumping in really late, but my attempt will involve converting this odd looking car:

Ecto_zpst5vn6bf4.jpg

Into a sleeper. I plan on doing the work to convert it into a nondescript hearse. I will be using the suspension from an Enzo Ferrari to improve the handling. Of course you need something decent to move that much weight around so I will either be using the Enzo engine or going overkill with an Allison V-12. I am just waiting for the V-12 to arrive to see which one will work out better. Decisions on the interior will come after I figure out which engine I am going with.

Just remember that these cars come with a very small fuel tank from the factory. The 66 we drove to Spring Break had like a 13-16 gallon tank. The big caddy engine moved the four of us just fine around 80 mph. The Enzo drivetrain would fit easier. Engine and transaxle just behind the drivers leaves you plenty of room for a fuel cell up front.

I got some goodies in from modelhaus, some steelies which I may use, and a flat hood since the tear drop hood wasnt going to cut it. The wheels I'm extremely happy with, the hood not so much. It was too wide which required a lot of sanding to fit, and the driver side corner seems to be warped. It's not like I can pass it off as a fiber glass good that fits bad. It's supposed to represent a stock steel hood. I suppose I'll have to get a bowl of warm water and see if I can polish a turd. This is the second bad experience with resin hoods from two separate casters. It makes me wonder, is there a caster who makes a hood that fits like it came out of a new kit? If so, who does..

Anyhow, what's your opinion on the new wheels? they're pretty deep while the old ones I was going to use arent.

i like the deeper wheels

I see some nice processes here!

But to be kept in mind, that my Mini is still in work :)

What have I done? I did some more fitting of the engine into the engine compartment and it's parts (generator, radiator and intake manifold) I'm satisfied so far. It all fits somehow ;)

post-14847-0-18780700-1425669849_thumb.j

Then I thought it would be cool to fit the Honda dashboard, middle console and seats into the cute tiny interior - well. I have to cut some sections out of the door panels to get the seats in. But: it will go!

post-14847-0-92627300-1425669862_thumb.j

You always do things the easy way Fred. <_<

Have you seen the Prowler chassis? It's tight enough fitting the radiator, a V6, two seats and the gearbox in the space between the wheels without making it smaller. And I have to fit in a V8. No, illogical as it may sound it is probably easier to lengthen the nose. After all, I can't make a Citation look any worse can I?

Don't tempt me by answering that.

However, another snag with the wheels has slowed my down. While the new rims were now large enough to fit over the suspension the resulting assembly was too wide so I have had to remove the solid backs. the resulting mess is now in bath while the under chrome lacquer strips off.

Need to get more supplies (xacto knife) to cut open doors and trunk

Pretty ambitious. Have you done much of that sort of stuff?

Pat, that is some pretty impressive engineering. That's gotta be the shortest torque tube I've ever heard of.

Matt, that is a great kit choice.

It also comes with the stock hood.

That's good because removing scoops/bulges is a PitA and counter intuitive when we spend so much of our time in other builds grafting them on.

Pat, I reckon if you built that for real and blipped the throttle hard, torque reaction would flip it onto it's roof...

Started on this beast last night. I originally had planned on putting a mid engine Indy car engine setup in it, but i've decided to go with a custom built supercharged LS4 and Tremec 6 speed. The engine dyno'd out at 1300 horses. I've also decided to jump in the deep end and do my first opening doors model. I have an idea that will keep the cops away. Hopefully Buford T Justice can dodge lead! Here's a few in progress picks.

post-15159-0-54860800-1425945950_thumb.j

post-15159-0-99435400-1425945956_thumb.j