Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

HAHAHAHAHA, My daily is a PT, so this one will definitely keep me interested, love your thinking.

MINE TOO. An excellent reference.

I was wondering if one these were going to show up.

This was not my first choice, but over the holiday I picked up a Welly R8 Diecast on closeout and made some comparisons, then went online to research the 1:1's. There is only a 1.25-inch wheelbase difference between them and lots of room in the back to fit the mid-engine V-10.

AWD bruthas!

Okay. Here's my starting point. Released once in its stock form and once as a custom. My parts seem to have a little of both kits. I got this from a friend who got it off eBay. Pretty sure it's a '77.kit_zpse717a0c0.jpg20150101_173337_zpsnc2e8bgp.jpg

Rob ,you could always put one those storage containers on the roof rack for a fuel cell. You wouldn't have to stop very much.

Edited by Pat Minarick

Here is my entry:

CIMG141230_006.jpg

:wub:

it will get a drivetrain from a Porsche (think about a rollcage and a midengine), classic wheels from the same donor. dont want to touch the body more than it must be. Sleeper, you know :D

So, buddies - go ahead, watch your back and slower traffic keep right :lol:

If i am "in time" with the bug, perhaps i will throw another one in. Perhaps a beretta or a stationwagon...we will see...

Edited by Dominik

Here is my entry:

CIMG141230_006.jpg

:wub:

it will get a drivetrain from a Porsche (think about a rollcage and a midengine), classic wheels from the same donor. dont want to touch the body more than it must be. Sleeper, you know :D

So, buddies - go ahead, watch your back and slower traffic keep right :lol:

If i am "in time" with the bug, perhaps i will throw another one in. Perhaps a beretta or a stationwagon...we will see...

IF I remember correctly, the Tamiya kit can be built wtihout the hubcaps. Those would be pretty cool, especially if you know how to widen them.

The screen raced Herbies uses a 356 engine in them, back in the old days that was the equivalent of a 1700cc.

Edited by Zarana-X

As of right now, this is what i decided on to hide the NASCAR running gear. Will post pics of parts later today. The NASCAR kit i still need to get to the LHS to purchase. Ill post pics of that as soon as i get it.

image_zpsa1a8ff42.jpg

The NASCAR motor would give this away before i even left the parking lot as its loud. This will help that problem, this should be much quieter. Ive heard really good things about Ross' motors, hope somebody will continue to mold his stuff. Cant wait for it to get here.

image_zps46e2dcce.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Count me in for a build if its not too late to sign up, I wont be able to get any pictures up anytime soon, im stuck out in the middle of the ocean for a while on a ship, but once i get back i'll have a couple kits sitting at the door for me and will post some pics!

Petetrucker07: Clever thinking with that loud exhaust noise problem. I was also thinking how to quiet down the nascar engine I was planning to use in my GMC Motorhome so maybe similar Gibson engine would work on my model also.

I am planning to locate very large fuel tanks on both sides and inside the body since the lack of space in not a problem on Motorhome.

Maybe there would be enough space left for assembling a small rocket engine on rear also.

Count me in for a build if its not too late to sign up, I wont be able to get any pictures up anytime soon, I'm stuck out in the middle of the ocean for a while on a ship, but once i get back i'll have a couple kits sitting at the door for me and will post some pics!

There is no rush on getting your pics up. You could enter this in November if you thought you could finish by Dec 1st.

I'm pulling the Chevy truck. I don't feel it's right to be in here. It has a lot of mods I don't feel like doing right now, anyways.

Michaelangelo is still in, though. I put the second coat of putty on the interior bucket and dropped the body in the pond.

Next is finding the right wheels, locating the front clip (that'll be a real party,) and making the whole frame.

Petetrucker07: Clever thinking with that loud exhaust noise problem. I was also thinking how to quiet down the nascar engine I was planning to use in my GMC Motorhome so maybe similar Gibson engine would work on my model also.

I am planning to locate very large fuel tanks on both sides and inside the body since the lack of space in not a problem on Motorhome.

Maybe there would be enough space left for assembling a small rocket engine on rear also.

Turbine's work as well. Remember the old Chrysler turbine?

I haven't seen a Foxbody Mustang around here that's been fast so it'd be a sleeper in my books :lol:

There's about 7 fox body mustangs in my area ranging from beater to very nice clean daily driver. All of them have V8s and fly down the road, no one's fooling me with one lol. Still I get what you guys are saying, the base model is a 4 cylinder so badged as one it would make for a good sleeper I agree.

Just to be clear there is no car or year restriction, this is a "sleeper theme". The guild lines are that the cars must not appear to be fast. Whether it's a rusty crusty classic or a newer plain Jane 4 door sedan. Let's face it the go to 2 door muscle cars like Chargers, Camaros, GTOs, Mustangs etc. from the late 60s - early 70's aren't really going to fool anyone anymore. I'm not saying you can't it's just it's becoming a more common build option in the 1:1 car world much like Rat Rods are. As Rob said earlier if you want to fool anyone with one it can be done but it's really got to look bad. It's still an option on my list of ideas, though I would be more interested in an early to mid 60's rusty crusty 4 Door or maybe a wagon if I can't find something else. Still browsing the odd ball cars, I'd really like to get my hands on a '90-ish Cavalier but all my searches come up short.

There's about 7 fox body mustangs in my area ranging from beater to very nice clean daily driver. All of them have V8s and fly down the road, no one's fooling me with one lol. Still I get what you guys are saying, the base model is a 4 cylinder so badged as one it would make for a good sleeper I agree.

Just to be clear there is no car or year restriction, this is a "sleeper theme". The guild lines are that the cars must not appear to be fast. Whether it's a rusty crusty classic or a newer plain Jane 4 door sedan. Let's face it the go to 2 door muscle cars like Chargers, Camaros, GTOs, Mustangs etc. from the late 60s - early 70's aren't really going to fool anyone anymore. I'm not saying you can't it's just it's becoming a more common build option in the 1:1 car world much like Rat Rods are. As Rob said earlier if you want to fool anyone with one it can be done but it's really got to look bad. It's still an option on my list of ideas, though I would be more interested in an early to mid 60's rusty crusty 4 Door or maybe a wagon if I can't find something else. Still browsing the odd ball cars, I'd really like to get my hands on a '90-ish Cavalier but all my searches come up short.

Try looking in the promo Section of ebay for a different car.

Try looking in the promo Section of ebay for a different car.

I considered a Geo Storm promo for about 10-seconds because I've got a couple and they're cheap as farts but knew I wouldn't get excited about it.

... I would be more interested in an early to mid 60's rusty crusty 4 Door or maybe a wagon if I can't find something else.

A Johan 59 Rambler Wagon can be found at a fair price if you're patient.

A Johan 59 Rambler Wagon can be found at a fair price if you're patient.

However thats one other few remaining Johan molds that the former owner of Johan is still using. I'm told he's selling them at shows and the quality has suffered. Buyer beware.