Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

my entry is a big undertaking for me. I need to be in the right frame of mind till it gets to a smoother, closer to ordinary build.

I know what you mean. Sometimes a build that has soooooo much modification and fabrication, it can be very daunting and frustrating. When that happens I tend to just find a model in the stash that is simpler to get me back into the right mind set. This is one of the main reasons the Cannonball is, and always has been, an 11 month CBP.

I'll get my official entry posted later today but I finally decided on building the 77 gmc plow truck. My plans are to convert everything to 2wd and engine swap. It'll probably receive a turbo ls1.

The Sleeper Hemi Dart is coming along nicely. The motor is done except for the air cleaner nuts and a bit of black wash. The faded interior tub is done, using the stock interior (not the Hemi drag interior). The flat hood is done and rust primed. the steelie wheels are rust primed. The rear suspension is mounted on the painted chassis. Unfortunately, as the (slightly out of focus) mock-up photo shows, I've got some serious work ahead lowering the engine so that the carbs and air cleaners fit under the flat hood - maybe as much as 1/8 inch. I've also got to make sure that the oil pan still clears the pavement when I'm done lowering the engine AND still clear the torsion bars with the headers.

post-14897-0-41666600-1428095433_thumb.j

post-14897-0-55661900-1428095451_thumb.j

post-14897-0-17299400-1428095477_thumb.j

post-14897-0-63406800-1428095504_thumb.j

post-14897-0-83569300-1428095529_thumb.j

post-14897-0-89771300-1428095542_thumb.j

Edited by georgeshaeffer

It's April. I put no hand on it during eastern ;) and my Mini is still in the race. New pictures coming soon

EDIT.... Added some pictures...

The body is still painted, the window frames done and glasses glued in

post-14847-0-32938700-1428467502_thumb.j

post-14847-0-71001200-1428467508_thumb.j

Then I cut one (!) hour to fit the Honda exhaust to the short Mini chassis :huh:

post-14847-0-23021000-1428467496_thumb.j

Next: finish the interior, put the body and chassis together and start with putting the engine into it's place. It's to less space to put all the stuff together and get it married as a last step. So I have to work in the engine compartment :lol:

Edited by christian-w

No progress on my project. I've been busy trying to finish a couple of other sleeper projects. Everything is prepped and ready for primer and paint. So, it shouldn't take long to get it done.

I'm pretty sure that I now have the 426 Hemi down low enough to clear the Dart's flat hood (after shaving down the intake manifold where the carbs sit, sanding the carbs down, scratch-building flat air cleaners, removing the engine side of the motor mounts, shaving down the chassis side of the motor mounts, notching them for the headers and thinning the tranny cross-member). I'm not sure about ground clearance now (the headers and the oil pan now hang down awfully low), but one problem at a time. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be okay as-is.................

My brother, Grid_88, talked me into joining this CBP. I had dropped out of the hobby for a few years since I tend to not finish projects. I figured this one would be a good way to get back in the swing of things since sleepers tend to be pretty simple. Maybe, just maybe, with the interest of a small community I can finish one. I have enjoyed watching everyone else's progress.

For my entry I wanted to keep it simple. I chose the Revell California Wheels release of the Volkswagen Rabbit. Seems like a really nice kit so far. Here it is shown fresh out of the box. It even has MI plates for me.

DSC_0242_zpsppsnstfu.jpg

My first task was to get rid of the little-engine-that-wishes-it-could. My entrant has decided to go all out and have a billet engine block made. Would have a robust forged set of aftermarket internals for a Mitsubishi 4G63 with a block and head made from billet for more strength and easier adaptation into a first gen Rabbit. I set about scratch building the custom billet 2.0L DOHC engine. The basic block shown next to the kit 1.6 engine.

photo%201_zps3bnvstma.jpg

I removed the kit block from the trans, and test fitted my custom block to check for size. I scratch built my first manifold which I attempted to make look like a cast square tube manifold. I scratched up the basic components of the turbo for mock up.

photo%202_zpsje3zdrsd.jpg

It quickly became apparent that the square manifold was much too large and looked out of scale. I pitched it and began working on a tubular manifold. If the driver spent the money building a custom block, they probably wouldn't run a cast manifold. After an hour or so I had bent up a pretty cool looking tubular manifold. I mounted the turbo opposite its original position so it would more easily clear the radiator. I bent up some more styrene rod to mock up the intake manifold. Not 100% sure I like it just yet, but I haven't had a chance to work on it again. I also just started work on the DOHC valve cover. Only have the cam covers cut out so far. Will be adding many more details.

photo%203_zpsdulreepb.jpg

Slightly further away to show general size and fitment. Future plans include scratching up an external wastegate, charge piping, intercooler, COP ignition, and a Megasquirt style ECM. The car will retain the stock body with only slight mods to the front end if needed for charge piping.I am planning for a slight drop, photoetched big brake kit, and wider front tires if I can find any that will work. My planned paint job is a dreary tan color with black steel wheels. The only external sleeper hints will be the big brake kit if it fits, and maybe an extra opening for the intercooler.

photo%204_zps1j6eesnk.jpg

That's all I have so far. I would like to start shooting some primer soon to check for gaps and such.

Edited by TheEnd

My brother, Grid_88, talked me into joining this CBP. I had dropped out of the hobby for a few years since I tend to not finish projects. I figured this one would be a good way to get back in the swing of things since sleepers tend to be pretty simple. Maybe, just maybe, with the interest of a small community I can finish one. I have enjoyed watching everyone else's progress.

For my entry I wanted to keep it simple. I chose the Revell California Wheels release of the Volkswagen Rabbit. Seems like a really nice kit so far. Here it is shown fresh out of the box. It even has MI plates for me.

DSC_0242_zpsppsnstfu.jpg

My first task was to get rid of the little-engine-that-wishes-it-could. My entrant has decided to go all out and have a billet engine block made. Would have a robust forged set of aftermarket internals for a Mitsubishi 4G63 with a block and head made from billet for more strength and easier adaptation into a first gen Rabbit. I set about scratch building the custom billet 2.0L DOHC engine. The basic block shown next to the kit 1.6 engine.

photo%201_zps3bnvstma.jpg

I removed the kit block from the trans, and test fitted my custom block to check for size. I scratch built my first manifold which I attempted to make look like a cast square tube manifold. I scratched up the basic components of the turbo for mock up.

photo%202_zpsje3zdrsd.jpg

It quickly became apparent that the square manifold was much too large and looked out of scale. I pitched it and began working on a tubular manifold. If the driver spent the money building a custom block, they probably wouldn't run a cast manifold. After an hour or so I had bent up a pretty cool looking tubular manifold. I mounted the turbo opposite its original position so it would more easily clear the radiator. I bent up some more styrene rod to mock up the intake manifold. Not 100% sure I like it just yet, but I haven't had a chance to work on it again. I also just started work on the DOHC valve cover. Only have the cam covers cut out so far. Will be adding many more details.

photo%203_zpsdulreepb.jpg

Slightly further away to show general size and fitment. Future plans include scratching up an external wastegate, charge piping, intercooler, COP ignition, and a Megasquirt style ECM. The car will retain the stock body with only slight mods to the front end if needed for charge piping.I am planning for a slight drop, photoetched big brake kit, and wider front tires if I can find any that will work. My planned paint job is a dreary tan color with black steel wheels. The only external sleeper hints will be the big brake kit if it fits, and maybe an extra opening for the intercooler.

photo%204_zps1j6eesnk.jpg

That's all I have so far. I would like to start shooting some primer soon to check for gaps and such.

It's seems like this will be a really quick Rabbit. Great idea!