Model Cars Magazine Forum

All new Citroen DS19 kit

fumi

Like so many kits made in places where english is not the mother tounge. I also have cats and have had cars most of my life and I'm not so sure that riding one will be as smooth as the ride in a DS. The ride in a DS is more like "magic carpet" and I think that a ride on the back of a car would be rather bumpy and uncomfortable.

RE: The Heller 1/16 DS19 Kits

I've built the cabrio and found that it went together pretty well. The doors didn't fit to well though. I figure the sedan would be the same. Detailing the car was easy...I just went into the garage and looked at my 1968 'D' for reference.

Sorry about the dust in some of these pix. Even in a case, dust finds its way in....

http://public.fotki.com/howsthat1959/heller-ds19-cabrio-116/

I did some research and given the details of the kit, the model is based on a 1959 DS19 and earlier (if you do not use the distributor supplied in the kit). Cars of this vintage did not use distributors but had two coils and a points breaker mechanism to fire the spark. These early cars had an external intake manifold (like the kit) which did not allow for the fitting of distributor. Later cars had an internal intake manifold. 1960 cars had vents in each fender to help cool the hydraulic fluid system which the model does not.

As for the spare tire, it should be mounted upside down and should have a "jack stand" stored inside the tire. The jack stand was used to raise one side of the car using the adjustable suspension to enable tire changes. Pix shown.

150188084.jpg

The jack stand was usually kept in the boot, but most owners turned the spare wheel over to store the jack stand inside the wheel, but from the factory the wheel would be stored in the position that Ebbro have done it, the photo you posted shows an early U.S spec' DS, i'm not sure if the wheel would be been stored differently to the Euro' spec DS's, the book I have, Citroen DS, The Complete Story, doesn't mention it.

3e5e48f6-35d9-4493-8ba8-6abf9a10191c_zps

img_8487_zps7lmdgsgj.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

The jack stand was usually kept in the boot, but most owners turned the spare wheel over to store the jack stand inside the wheel, but from the factory the wheel would be stored in the position that Ebbro have done it, the photo you posted shows an early U.S spec' DS, i'm not sure if the wheel would be been stored differently to the Euro' spec DS's, the book I have, Citroen DS, The Complete Story, doesn't mention it.

3e5e48f6-35d9-4493-8ba8-6abf9a10191c_zps

img_8487_zps7lmdgsgj.jpg

My DS is a European model and as far as I know, the prop was usually carried in the spare. It sits on a peg tool that is used to set the height of the prop when in use. In all the cars I'v eve looked at (and that's hundreds) the spare is arrange as such, with the three stap thing holding it all in place.

I did some research and given the details of the kit, the model is based on a 1959 DS19 and earlier (if you do not use the distributor supplied in the kit). Cars of this vintage did not use distributors but had two coils and a points breaker mechanism to fire the spark. These early cars had an external intake manifold (like the kit) which did not allow for the fitting of distributor. Later cars had an internal intake manifold. 

I'm afraid I may have left out some info about the ignition system. The external intake manifold engine has the points breaker under the manifold where the disttibutor would be. Two wires run from it to two coils. Each coil fires twice...one for the timed spark and a wasted one on an exhaust stroke of a different cylinder.

20150914_133555.jpg

20150914_133804.jpg

I was incorrect about the tool storage. After looking further, it appears that the early single central locking nut wheels could not facilitate holding the prop rod as the later five bolt wheels did. The later wheels have a hole in the center for the prop stand rod (which is also used to remove and install the wheel covers).

From what I can see in the box content pics posted on this forum (I haven't received my own yet), it looks like you can build a fairly accurate model of any version from 1955 - 1959.
Apparently, the very first indicators (turn signals) are included, which necessitates two different trim treatments for the roof sides, which seem to be included.
On the early, early examples, the indicators were housed in very dark red semi-translucent plastic pods, which were replaced with stainless housings ~1958.
These appear to be included on the clear parts frame.
When opting for these, you will have to replicate a red repeater 'dart' in a chrome trim on the rear wings/fenders, and the necessary parts for this appear to be included in one of the chromed frames.

Look:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5194456306_1f0e71ebd9_o.jpg

Note that the indicators are red, not orange.

Compare the above with this:

http://hellocar.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Citroen-DS_19_1960-rear.jpg

The indicators are now in stainless housings, they are orange, and the rear wing trim gave way to inset red cat-eyes. This treatment wasn't changed until
production ceased in 1975.

At the same time they changed the indicators, the exhaust, which was originally oval in profile and exited in the middle, was replaced with a twin round pipe system,
that exited on the left. Again, this treatment remained until the end.

I had a bit of the old Bordeaux, so I hope the above makes sense.

Edited by Junkman

After seeing the instructions, I see the differences I mentioned above aren't mentioned on the sheet, yet the parts are indeed included in the kit.
Except the oval cross-section exhaust exiting in the middle.

Edited by Junkman