Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dry-lakes scratchbashed '29 Ford/Ardun: Front 4-link, etc., Jan. 26

Ace-Garageguy

On 11/5/2022 at 3:04 AM, Straightliner59 said:

You can bet I'll be borrowing this idea!

On 11/5/2022 at 9:21 AM, NOBLNG said:

And I’ll be borrowing this idea for gluing a spindle dead centre on a rim. It’s about the only thing my cheapo lathe is good for since something went wrong with the electronics.🤨 Nice progress Bill!👍

Always glad when somebody finds something they can use in my build threads.  :D

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Went to get set up to start doing a little more scale glass-work, noticed the belly pans had cracked and moved around some. They were never intended to be permanent, only to serve as "plugs" or masters for f'glass molds to be pulled from. But you don't want to make molds from bad plugs, so a little remedial grinding and filling is in order.

DSCN7950.JPG.61fff06add142a91d310a229a4d56431.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Those older rods have a character all of their own that you are capturing well Bill. The Allison engined project looks like it might be very interesting when you make a start on it.

A guy over here in the UK some years ago made a road going car with a Rolls Royce Merlin engine and even placed a Rolls grille on it at one time. I don't think that Rolls were very happy about the grille being used as it bore their trade marked radiator grille, badge and spirit of ecstasy mascot and I believe that they were removed from the car eventually.

Pre war saw a number of racing and speed record cars with aeroplane engines fitted. I scratch built a model of the Brooklands Napier Railton that had a Napier Lion engine fitted and the research into the car was really interesting.

Bill's Allison engined model car however will not have the restraints I had in building my model, so I reckon that it will be quite an awesome looking model when built!

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 5:53 PM, ea0863 said:

Can't wait to see this one come together Bill! Then I'll be waiting with anticipation on the Allison build! :) 

On 5/9/2023 at 5:05 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Those older rods have a character all of their own that you are capturing well Bill. The Allison engined project looks like it might be very interesting when you make a start on it.

Thanks for your interest and comments, gentleman.    :D

The Allison LSR project, for anyone who's curious...

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 3:56 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

I was curious and looked at your Allison engined concept car Bill.

Although a 'What If' it captures the spirit of that inter war era very well from what I have seen so far of your WIP.

Thank you. sir. That "spirit" was exactly what I'm going for.    :D

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jaftygas said:

Let’s not stop this epic build Bill! 

Thanks for your interest and encouragement. The bench I use for model fiberglass work is tied up at the moment with some 1:1 small parts fab, but as soon as it's clear, I'll get molds made for the rest of the bellypans, then decide whether to supercharge it or not.

Probably going to stay with carbs just to get it done, then make a new hood section later to accommodate a S.C.o.T. or GMC 4-71 blower.

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2023 at 11:37 PM, CabDriver said:

This is going to be a perfect little period-correct hot rod - I love that tracknose especially (and the usual, inspiring, craftsmanship) 

On 10/28/2023 at 1:27 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Oh, man. That is perfect!

17 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Woot! Excited to see the continuance of this build! 

16 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Always happy to see updates on your projects Bill.

Thank you all for your continuing interest.    :D

On 10/29/2023 at 5:16 PM, tim boyd said:

LOOKIN' really good, Bill....steady as she goes!   Cheers....TIM 

Thanks, Tim. Always nice to see you taking an interest in my work.   :D

On 10/30/2023 at 1:19 AM, Rattlecan Dan said:

You've got to be encouraged by all the interest and encouragement you're receiving. I'm rootin' for ya' as well. Big time anticipation out here.

Thank you, sir. I was kinda pushing several to get to the "primer table" at the recent local show; probably time to clear the bench and try to bring one home.  :D

On 10/30/2023 at 4:20 AM, Earl Marischal said:

Always pleased to see progress on this project.

Will there be a 1:1 version to follow? 😉

Thanks for commenting.

At this time, the only full-scale Ford hot-rod project in my foreseeable future is the one derived from my big 1/8 scale build on another thread.

This particular car would be a costly 1:1 project, as I don't have any flathead engines, or Ardun stuff, or a '28-'29 body shell, or an extra quickchange, or much of anything else necessary to build it lying around.

But you never know (assuming I live long enough)...though it's far more likely if I were to dump a lot of money into something I don't already have a bunch of parts for, it would be the Cord one-off that Chris Drysdale did the gorgeous rendering of for me years ago.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy