Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dry-lakes scratchbashed '29 Ford/Ardun: Front 4-link, etc., Jan. 26

Ace-Garageguy

• 3 weeks later...

Good adjustment on the faring, Bill Looks more in line with the shape of the body now.

I am really enjoying watching you work out the design on this. You seem to have a very good eye for creating a sense of motion through shape. Good stuff.

Scott

Thank you very much.

exceptionally cool

Thank you too, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------

One of my methods for creating finely-sculpted shapes is to tape off areas I want to build up, and only add filler where it's really needed.

APRIL%209%202015%20029_zpsl7cqlxg8.jpg

That worked out well, and the right side now matches the left side...as much as it's gonna.

APRIL%209%202015%20075_zpseip9nqwc.jpg

I got ol' Lefty to sit in the car again, this time with the seat installed on the frame rails, just to verify that the driver's head will actually be in the center of the fairing as-built.

APRIL%209%202015%20033_zpsuwsn412c.jpg

Things seemed to be close enough to shoot a few coats of SEM self-etching primer. This stuff is really hot, and when shot very wet, really hammered on, it makes the styrene swell somewhat. The bondoed areas don't swell. I use it because it provides exceptional adhesion, and this model will be the plug for a set of body panel molds. I want to do a few takeoffs on this design, but I don't want to do all this work again. I also don't want to have to repaint it after molding, and really good adhesion of the primer is insurance against the finish coming off and sticking to the mold.

APRIL%209%202015%20077_zpsyrkibowe.jpg

I put the black-primered body in the sun for a couple hours to cook off, then scuffed it with a gray ScotchBrite pad, and shot a couple coats of SEM high-build buff primer over it all. In this scale, it's pretty much like sprayable bondo, and fills 180 grit sand scratches well.

APRIL%209%202015%20078_zpsmxev5isi.jpg

Again, let it sun-bake, and sanded it with 400 wet.

APRIL%209%202015%20080_zpsdknw33s7.jpg

After sanding, I sprayed a couple of coats of PlastiKote scratch-filler gray primer. Getting close, but still many minor issues to tighten up. It's necessary to re-scribe the panel lines after every primer application, and some of the details are softening from the thick primer. I'll need to sharpen them back up after this coat hardens, and then shoot a couple of coats of sandable, non-high-build white primer. I also have to be very careful of primer buildup on the louvered areas, and that takes a different technique to avoid.

APRIL%209%202015%20081_zpsqmerdlls.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks guys. i just buried the rear bellypan in SEM high-build buff, and shot a couple more coats of scratch-filler PlastiKote gray on the upper body. Details are crispening up, but I'm going to let her shrink in all work-week. I'm getting a little antsy wanting to see her in paint now...and that's the time to put on the brakes. :)

This is really an exercise in self-discipline for me, 'cause normally I would have put her to the side and started on something else weeks ago, when the build got a little more involved than I'd originally anticipated. I thought this was going to be a relative "quickie", just to get one actually finished. :lol::lol:

This is really an exercise in self-discipline for me, 'cause normally I would have put her to the side and started on something else weeks ago, when the build got a little more involved than I'd originally anticipated.

Which brings up something I've been meaning to PM you about sometime. I recall a lot of really great unfinished concepts you've posted to this site or another. I'd like to request that you start a thread showing all the cool primer projects and start ups you've done, maybe with a note or two. Finished or not, they're inspirational. Any thoughts?

Looking very slick at this point.I would have been tempted to leave as it looked after the "sanded with 400"photo but then tht's not the style you are building.I have never heard of that SEM thick primer.What's the normal source for that?Thanks for sharing.I like this more with every update.

Edited by misterNNL

• 3 weeks later...